Planning a 4 inch Lift! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,
I just acquired a '77 FJ40 and it arrived with a serious case of the Death Wobble! I note that all the components on this rig are "dated". Air shocks from sometime in the '90s, all bushings from the beginning of time, wheel bearings = who knows! TREs and steering seem OK with no shake that I can tell... So before I go down the DW rathole, I thought I would update what I can and at the same time, get it lifted 4 inches with a suspension kit. It's running 33 inch tires, as received and I'll get those balanced at some point.
So, here's a few questions: What would be a good recommendation for a 4 inch lift kit? and will the lift require any other components, such as long brake lines, etc
thanks all!
fj at west beach.jpg

Hey all,
I just acquired a '77 FJ40 and it arrived with a serious case of the Death Wobble! I note that all the components on this rig are "dated". Air shocks from sometime in the '90s, all bushings from the beginning of time, wheel bearings = who knows! TREs and steering seem OK with no shake that I can tell... So before I go down the DW rathole, I thought I would update what I can and at the same time, get it lifted 4 inches with a suspension kit. It's running 33 inch tires, as received and I'll get those balanced at some point.
So, here's a few questions: What would be a good recommendation for a 4 inch lift kit? and will the lift require any other components, such as long brake lines, etc
thanks all!
View attachment 3192817

Nice looking truck; congratulations, and welcome to the madness.

You're probably going to need longer soft brake lines (though I didn't, with a 3" lift), longer spring shackles, and will almost certainly need shims to correct the steering caster on the front axle and to correct the u-joint working angles on the rear axle.

If I were doing mine again today, I would go with Dobinson springs, but I don't know for sure if they make 4" lift springs - @wngrog would know.

thanks all!

The best recommendation for a 4” lift on a 40…is to NOT DO IT.

4" inch springs are awesome?
I don't get the bandwagoning on 2" lift and 33s, I wouldn't do 2-2.5" myself, I prefer the clearance.
If you want 4" lift - go for it! I've done it on two trucks that get good use, I wouldn't go any other way unless it was a fancy coil conversion or a very well-designed SOA.

To answer OPs question you will need......

1. Skyjacker or HFS lift springs
2. 1.5" Front and 2.5" rear extended shackles and greasable spring pins
3. Extended chassis to axle brake lines front and rear (tundra rear lines work great for this). See chart below for lengths. If you're entreprenurial, plug the part numbers into toyodiy, find the vehicles the lines came on and swipe a few at the junkyard - you can pick your favorite length that way.
4. Bilstein shocks (easiest to start with), use this link for part numbers: FJ40 Bilstein 5100 and 5150 shock part numbers - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fj40-bilstein-5100-and-5150-shock-part-numbers.626525/
5. 4* Caster shims front and rear

I prefer this route - I don't like the shackle angle OMEs provide with their lifts, far too vertical out of the box, which is why the ride is rougher. Get your shackle angle more towards 45* and you'll have a good ride.

Last edited:
When I had a tall 40, it was absolutely awesome of a perspective from up there. Awesome in town, much to be desired of for on the trail, and impossible on ice and snow.

Death wobble is not a FSM problem to solve, the writers of that had no clue what "tall skinnies" were.

My thought is to use a lift for needed clearance. "Needed" being the operative word, here. Go with a double-cardan-type-u-joint for the inevitable vibration on the rear driveshaft. Turn the differential so that the pinion face is at a right angle to the axis of the driveshaft, and the tube itself with operate with more of a constant velocity. Rotating spring perches should be easy enough on the back, as there are no knuckle geometries to fiddle with.

I don't get the bandwagoning on 2" lift and 33s, I wouldn't do 2-2.5" myself, I prefer the clearance.
If you want 4" lift - go for it! I've done it on two trucks that get good use, I wouldn't go any other way unless it was a fancy coil conversion or a very well-designed SOA.

To answer OPs question you will need......

1. Skyjacker or HFS lift springs
2. 1.5" Front and 2.5" rear extended shackles and greasable spring pins
3. Extended chassis to axle brake lines front and rear (tundra rear lines work great for this). See chart below for lengths. If you're entreprenurial, plug the part numbers into toyodiy, find the vehicles the lines came on and swipe a few at the junkyard - you can pick your favorite length that way.
4. Bilstein shocks (easiest to start with), use this link for part numbers: FJ40 Bilstein 5100 and 5150 shock part numbers - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fj40-bilstein-5100-and-5150-shock-part-numbers.626525/

I prefer this route - I don't like the shackle angle OMEs provide with their lifts, far too vertical out of the box, which is why the ride is rougher. Get your shackle angle more towards 45* and you'll have a good ride.
mattressking, I'm with you, dude! I too prefer the clearance and I also want the future ability to increase tire diameter. I'm building this FJ to do Idaho to Montana from Washington. When we're done with that, it's on to Alaska. It needs to be bad ass! Also, yes, Imma gonna say this: I just think that a lifted FJ looks really, really Kool.
BTW, this isn't my first FJ rodeo.. I've rebuilt a few over the long and shady past. Now I'M "re-upping" with this ride.

Guys: thanks for the inputs: I do appreciate it! Thanks for the benefit of your ongoing knowledge. When last I worked on a FJ, there was no internet to access information. It was all word of mouth; Manafre catalogs and repair manuals. But Hey! it's a new age and a new and different crusier.
Peace.

It's more work, but a SOA conversion with flat stock springs gets you at least 4" and enough room for 37" tires. Done right, you can get a good ride as well.

Lifted mine 4 inches several years ago and love it. HFS with slightly extended shackles, caster shims, Bilsteins and 35s. I didn't extend any brake or drivelines, wobble is minimal and it wheels great around here. Jumping in and out can be challenging sometimes but the extra height means you look down on everyone else. Especially fun when built up heeps pull up next to you and have to look up. It's your 40, make it your own. Purists will whine no matter what you do. 👍

Hey all,
thanks all!
View attachment 3192817
Why? Ego... testosterone... or 'cause you think it's cool. Sorry, don't mean to stand in your sunshine, but please think this through before you cause more problems that you don't have. Maybe a 2" if you just have to. Too nice a truck too trash. Do yourself a favor and by a crappy old Jeep.

Why? Ego... testosterone... or 'cause you think it's cool. Sorry, don't mean to stand in your sunshine, but please think this through before you cause more problems that you don't have. Maybe a 2" if you just have to. Too nice a truck too trash.
what problems? there are no problems, fresh springs do not "trash" a cruiser

Hard to tell from the pic angle, but if those are currently 33’s, you may already have a 2”-ish lift?

I used alcans and shackles to get a 4" lift. If use custom springs I highly recommend weighing the front. rear and whole vehicle to get an idea how the springs will made.

4" lift and 33's on my rig.

Say what y'all want, my rig drives like a champ at 70mph, and does what I built it to do.

Skyjacker, Bilstiens, 33" Maxxis Razrs, and cold beer.
20221204_164111.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom