pilot bearing removal... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My homemade crap. Worked great. It's all about the hook.

DSC00283.JPG

Well, here I go waking up a dormant thread... But I'm bored and reading through every single thing in the FAQ.

I've only once not had the puller method work. That bearing also didn't work with the grease.

But there is another way.... bread.

That's right, bread. Basically, it's just like the grease method, but use plain old bread instead. Use squishy white bread, or the insides of hamburger buns. The crusts are too hard to squish through the hole in the pilot bearing. But just push bread in there, then tap it with a bolt (just like the grease method).

On my 2LT-E, I was able to get three buns back there, but the bread did the trick (after the slide hammer type puller failed, the grease failed, and the dedicated pilot bearing removal tool failed). When you're done, the bread is REALLY compacted back there, but on the plus side the inside of the crank is spick and span!

Besides, it's really cool to steal a loaf of bread to get the pilot bearing out. I haven't even bothered trying any of the other methods since I learned that trick, it's just too fun!

Dan

I just got mine out with bread, all I can say is WOW it worked awesome, who would have guessed a few old hamburger buns could press out a pilot bearing.:clap::clap::clap:

Thanks again, Mud is priceless for things like this, Thanks Again.:cheers:

bread

You used hamburger buns? NO NO NO! that is all wrong ---it is croutons you must use:p

But seriously---used a slide hammer puller on mine but the jaws were too big so I only used one jaw--worked like a champ

the usual reminder---dont forget to prefit the new pilot bearing on the shaft---clean the shaft up with emery cloth until it slides on easily

X2 on prefitting pilot bearing make sure it slides right on cleanly, and another old trick to putting the new bearing in is... put it in the freezer or even with some dry ice! Then tap it in with a socket that fits the OUTER race of the bearing! Grease trick has always woked for me but I sanded a brass rod to fit perectly and hit it hard! But I really like the carrige bolt puller idea? Best of luck- Aaron

Pilot bearing removal

The grease trick also works great for frozen wheel cylinders. Just find a grease zerk fitting that screws in where the fluid line was. Make sure your bleeder screw is closed. Pump grease into the zerk fitting and the pistons will pop right out.
Ted

I suppose that the bread trick wouldn't cross over and work on those wheel cylinders:frown:.

The bread trick works ;)

resto082.jpg

I guess there is a special tool for this one, and I once battled for many days with much head scratching on how to remove the damn thing. The manual says something useful like "remove and inspect pilot bearing"

Options are:
- special tool
- puller (gotta be a small one though)
- HMT (home made tool)
- heat
- hammer and saw
- grease
- wet paper
- rags
- bread...

I just had to try the last one ;)

resto083.jpg

resto084.jpg

resto085.jpg

Technique:
- push bread through hole until cavity is full.
- insert punch (cylinder head bolt is a perfect size) and hit with rubber mallet.
- repeat until cavity is full.
- hit punch one or two times swiftly.

The SST that the FSM uses to pull the pilot bearing cost just over $30 plus the ride.

I had the same problem. Ended up breaking the insides of the bearing trying to pull it out. Went to Harbor Freight and bought 2 pullers. The one you slide worked and bearing finally came out. I wish I read this before I started.

Great thread... I did clutch last year and after driving through maybe 150 miles of water and mud in the UP, the pilot bearing was freezing again (does not want to shift since input shaft is being driven even with clutch open and can't synchronize), and the release bearing was whining because I suppose it had water and sand in it. Mind you this wasn't really deep water, just a lot of it. Not sure how water got in there, but:

1) I see the 6202 NSE bearing above. What year was that for and will it fit an '80 FJ40? A 6202-2-NSE has 2 seals, maybe I'll try that one. I got mine from JTO I think.

2) the release bearing looked a little different from original, but both the original, and now the new one were whining, even though the new one was perfect until it got wet. I haven't figured out how water got in there, I guess I'll find that when I get under it, but when I put it all back together everything was as it should be, should have been quite water resistant. Maybe the timing cover came loose or something.

3) Anyway, I need a number for a GOOD release bearing that is totally sealed, and a GOOD pilot bearing that is totally sealed. Any ideas? Thanks.

Anyway, I need a number for a GOOD release bearing that is totally sealed

KOYO RCT52S

and a GOOD pilot bearing that is totally sealed. Any ideas? Thanks.

OEM Toyota bearing from the dealer, part number 97120-06202, is a NACHI 6202ZE.

I tried the bread technique just for fun (didn't have an inside puller small enough) and it worked great, pushed it right out!

I had to get the pilot bearing off at the weekend, wet small pieces of newspaper or toilet paper or leaves (eucalyptus for a lovely aroma and the oil in the leaves really cleans the metal well) and cram them in, get drift compact, ad more of the ingredient until it pops out, amazing your beer swilling mates who happen to be standing around telling you that it will never work
Takes about the same time as the bread method but doesn't affect the missus as much...in fact she may make you a sandwich while you're working on it....

I laughed when I read about the bread. But after breaking a harbor freight slide hammer puller, AND a snap-on slide hammer puller, AND the hook off of one of the prongs on a borrowed 3-prong pilot bearing puller, I decided to give it a try.

About 10 whacks later, the bearing was laying on the ground. Unbelievable.

x2 on the bread method. I spent a few hours trying the other methods without success and it was literally out in a few minutes with a slice of bread. It was pretty funny when my wife asked why I was taking bread down to the garage only to return 5 minutes later with a bearing in hand and a story to tell.

Brian

The other thing white bread works great for is plugging water pipes while you solder them.

I still prefer MPG to bread for bearing removal.

Last week, used the grease method, which usually works, but no luck. Borrow the Snap-on tool from work and also no go. Finally used the torch with the small brazing tip and heated the bearing race a little. Popped right out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom