Pig hunting (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I decided to attack my rear window issues. It dies about halfway down and with some help goes all the way down. Took the regulator off and opened up the motor/gearcase to- surprise, split gear. I did some searching but it looks like the brass gear threads die off back a few years.
Anyone have a current source for one before I start bugging dudes from 4 year old threads?

Thanks ahead of time

Anyone have a current source for one before I start bugging dudes from 4 year old threads?

Nice. I tried to search their site today but didn't get that far. I knew there would be an answer here. I had to get the regulator out anyway to put my unbroken gate handle in.

SOR is the only source unless you get lucky with someone selling an NOS one. Make sure you get the right one for your shaft. They come in two styles and SOR has both.
My truck is a '76, so it should be the later rectangular hole gear. I looked right at it and then buttoned it back up. I am only about 70% sure that is what I saw (beer) so I may open it back up again before ordering.

New spectre gear is in. Window works pretty well now
20191002_172822.jpg
20191002_173234.jpg

Nice. Did you install it dry or with some grease? I didn’t pack it with grease but I did put some on the gears.
I put a pretty good gob of grease in there. The old stuff was like wax.

Almost done with my low buck front seat restore. A little foam and a few hog rings (what else would I use?) to hold on some matching mexican blankets. I still have to cut holes for the belts.
About a $25 investment

View attachment 2088172

I’m borrowing this idea. All my granddads regular cab pickups always had this set up. My seats aren’t trashed, but these are nostalgic and practical.

Well, things aren't going so well in the driveshaft battle. Totally my fault for forgetting to deal with it until now but I can't find a source to re-tube my dented/bent driveshaft and the u-joints and flanges are different on the '70 shaft I have. If anyone has a late fj55 rear shaft they want to sell, I am a buyer. I may try taking my '70 shaft to a machinist buddy and see if he can plug weld the flange up, then redrill in the new pattern. It is going to be really tight to the edges and the shaft is lighter duty but it would get my by for now. I know he can do it if he has the time because he made me a double cardan shaft using a 3rd gen 4runner end, welding an redrilling it for my 80 series. I will report back. Also posting a wanted ad!

Worst case scenario I go to the Soiree' a shakin.

Man. What about swapping flanges/slip yokes?
They have pretty different designs and bolt patterns, also larger u-joint on the late one. I already have a possible replacement though. Fingers crossed.

I'm so neglectful of my poor 55 thread. That's how it goes,, the truck that gives without complaining gets the least love.

Today was my buddy's winter outdoor party and I took the 55 the whole 3 miles to his place. Man I miss my 55!

I let another friend there rip it around the property to celebrate his 41st birthday. He is a long time cruiser lover and had a blast.

20200215_174056.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom