OM606 diesel conversion FJ62 CAtuned off-road (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We found this 1988 Toyota FJ62 on Craigslist located in Chico California. It already had a 5 speed swap done.

catuned_offroad_land_cruiser_diesel_swap_06.jpg

We had an idea to swap something it there that would be more reliable with some increase in power and torque and lighter in weight. Thoughts of Chevy LS power came to mind. We love our diesel Trooper and that was also something we would love to have in a FJ. Looking around for options we came across the thought of the Mercedes OM606. With slight modifications to the injection pump, these engines can produce impressive numbers. We were able to find a decent engine with 150k miles from a local recycling yard.
catuned_offroad_land_cruiser_diesel_swap_05.jpg

Now we can start messing with this thing. We got the stock motor out and started mocking things up.

catuned_offroad_land_cruiser_diesel_swap_15.jpg
By the looks of it, it seems that it will fit quite well. Oil pan swap was done from an OM648 due to the oil pump and sump being in a location that will be more suitable for the axle under it.
catuned_offroad_land_cruiser_diesel_swap_20.jpg

Custom adapter plate in the works.
catuned_offroad_land_cruiser_diesel_swap_26.jpg

Nice... so you are fabbing up your own adapters and everything? I though the OM6xx had an adapter out there for the 4spd and 5spd already?

Nice... so you are fabbing up your own adapters and everything? I though the OM6xx had an adapter out there for the 4spd and 5spd already?
That's the plan, still in R&D we couldn't find any adapters that would work with 5-speed. They have some adapters for the om617

Oh so are the adapters that I am thinking about for different transmissions? Bolt pattern should be the same for the 5spd and later 4spd bellhousings for the toyotas...

Is wiring for it pretty straightforward ECU/sensor wise on these motors?

Basically no wiring and no ECU when you use a mechanical pump from a om603
Cool! Definitely going to be following this build. The engines look much more cost competitive than the Toyota Diesels.

Sub'd

So what is the difference between an OM606 and an OM617? Gonna have to do some research on my end as well as now I am just curious.

So what is the difference between an OM606 and an OM617? Gonna have to do some research on my end as well as now I am just curious.
Quite a bit of difference om617. Older motor and a 5 cylinder single cam but really good bulletproof motor. Om606 aluminum head with dual overhead cam and can produce a lot of power:happy:

Is the OM606 the 3.5L "Rod Bender"? I think these were early 90's. The other I6 is the OM603 3.0L that is late 80's. Or maybe I have them backwards?

Greg the OM617 is a 5 cyl all iron with the last year being 1985. Stock power is 125 HP but the unfortunate thing is the fuel pump can push max 145 or 150 HP worth of fuel. There is a guy in Sweden that can fix that for money. One of these just showed up in my garage the other night BTW.

The 603 and 606 are capable of much higher power levels as Madmaxs mentions. They had their issues though. The late 80's 3.0L cracked the head on almost every one but Mercedes replaced these. You do have to verify the casting numbers before buying to be sure the head has been replaced. The early/mid 90's 3.5 L is absolutely notorious for bending rods. I've never owned one so it's all internet conjecture but most guys avoid them for that reason.

These are all purely mechanical motors (except for the emissions stuff) indirect injected. There's guys in Sweden and Finland that get stupid power out of the I6 3.0l. Lots of YouTube hoonage out there.

Eric

Ok had them backwards. The OM606 is the late 80's 3.0L that as long as the head has been replaced is an awesome motor. I went OM617 as I have one in a 1985 S-class and an familiar with it.

Eric

Is the OM606 the 3.5L "Rod Bender"? I think these were early 90's. The other I6 is the OM603 3.0L that is late 80's. Or maybe I have them backwards?

Greg the OM617 is a 5 cyl all iron with the last year being 1985. Stock power is 125 HP but the unfortunate thing is the fuel pump can push max 145 or 150 HP worth of fuel. There is a guy in Sweden that can fix that for money. One of these just showed up in my garage the other night BTW.

The 603 and 606 are capable of much higher power levels as Madmaxs mentions. They had their issues though. The late 80's 3.0L cracked the head on almost every one but Mercedes replaced these. You do have to verify the casting numbers before buying to be sure the head has been replaced. The early/mid 90's 3.5 L is absolutely notorious for bending rods. I've never owned one so it's all internet conjecture but most guys avoid them for that reason.

These are all purely mechanical motors (except for the emissions stuff) indirect injected. There's guys in Sweden and Finland that get stupid power out of the I6 3.0l. Lots of YouTube hoonage out there.

Eric
The only known issue on a om606 are the glow plugs sometimes they break inside the head.
The om603 head the head issues cracking

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom