My "Rattle-can Resto," or How I Spent My Summer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First let me say, this is not a frame-off, alas! Purists and perfectionist please turn away now.

I have spent many, many long hours up to now researching and planning my ultimate dream build for my 1968 FJ40. This is the first project vehicle I’ve ever wanted to tackle and I can say that I’ve been inspired by the many incredible and painstaking projects that have been shared here. The IH8MUD knowledge base is vast and I have studied intensely. A complete frame-off seemed like the only appropriate thing to do for my FJ40 that I love. In the process of planning I created spread sheets of the required parts, part numbers, prices, suppliers, time-lines etc. Words like ARB, NV4500, POR-15, MAF, SOR swirled in my mind. As the scope of the project multiplied and the tally continued to rise I eventually came to this sobering and painful conclusion: There’s no f**king way I can afford to do all this!

As this reality sank in that I had neither the money, nor time, to take on my dream build I formulated Plan B. My cruiser runs pretty good. It’s got a low mileage SBC 350 mated to the original 3 speed tranny/transfer (rebuilt recently says the PO). It just doesn’t look good. The new plan: make it look good, minimize down-time, then drive the hell out of it and have a blast. It doesn't have to be perfect -the frame-off resto can wait. Suddenly the pressure was off and I was ready to have fun.

Here's what it looked like before:
DSC00676.jpg
DSC00675.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a couple of the interior. Hard top is not original to the vehicle. Check out the custom roll-cage. What do you do if you just fabbed up your cage and realize, "uh-oh, it doesn't fit." Grab your BFH and go to town, right?

Pisses me off every time I see it. Still don't know how I'm gonna fix the body damage to the dash...oh, well. :meh:
DSC01153A.jpg
DSC00679A.jpg

That's an interesting bezel you have there!:hillbilly::flipoff2:

I was gonna get to that. You're stealing my thunder :flipoff2:

Yeah, bezel got hacked by PO, presumably to fit the Warn winch. Please note, however, that it is oriented correctly as demonstrated in the following pic. There is a wider hack hole at the top than at the bottom :D:flipoff2:.
DSC00693.jpg

Plan was to do some body work - get the worst of the rust cut-out, fix very large dent in the passenger rocker. Fill lots of holes from PO. That guy drilled a lot of holes in the old girl. Anyway, I was going to try and justify this being in tech by showing how I repaired them. I had issues with my camera though and lost nearly all pics detailing repairs:bang:.

Probably for the best. You guys would have surely mocked some of my methods. For example, to fill the many small holes left behind by the diamond plate screws I simply taped a penny (copper, after all) behind them, welded them full and ground smooth. I did pick up some 16 guage sheet metal and pathced up the rear sill. It came out pretty decent and I used only a small amount of filler to smooth it out.

Only pic I have of the penny repair, sorry.
DSC01150A.jpg

The existing paint was really bad. It was peeling all over. I hadn't intended to strip all the paint but when I took a sander to one of the rear quarters I inadvertantly cut a swath of beautiful smoothness right through that crap. "Uh-oh," I thought, "now I've done it."

So, I set about stripping all the paint. I used aircraft stripper, wire-wheel, DA sander, those paint and rust removal wheels and anything else I could get my hands on to take the old stuff off. Very laborious, but also very gratifying.

Here's a few pics for documentation sake:
DSC01151A.jpg
DSC01146A.jpg
DSC01147A.jpg

I used Rustoleum rattle-can primer. Everything got at least two coats. Sanded with 220 before painting. Firewall was tricky. Removed as much as I could and used saran wrap extensively. I hate overspray.
DSC01144A.jpg
DSC01145A.jpg
DSC01165A.jpg

I ordered a few things: new parking lights, tail lights and brackets, new apron emblems. Wow! They are beautiful. Also ordered some gaskets for the barn doors, fenders, kick vents, etc.
DSC01155A.jpg
DSC01174-(2)A.jpg

Finally, a few of the paint. It's on olive green type color. We call it "orc-hide" 'cause it's a dead ringer for my son's paint for one of his models. I know some are thinking I should have got an HVLP gun and done this "right." My goal was to keep it simple, and affordable. Spray paint doesn't have to look crappy. I've developed a decent hand for it. I used a wax and grease remover and carefully removed dust with a tack cloth. It's critical to work that wet edge while painting and have decent lighting. Everything got at least three coats, sometimes more. When neccesary I wet-sanded with some 400 grit between coats. I think you'd be surprised.

I still have a ways to go on this before its roadworthy but it is looking soooo much better. I welcome your comments and suggestions.

Anyway, last pics for tonight.
DSC01174A.jpg
DSC01179A.jpg
DSC01177A.jpg

Last edited:
Man, it is looking good! As for the hard top, it looks like you have footman loops on the tailgate. Originally a soft top?

Love the color, are you going to clear coat it, or is this more of a trail rig and your wanting to touch up as you go? It looks like your 60 is the same color?

As for the replacement parts, what is your source? The infamous Dan?

I will be following this one closely, as I am considering buying a 63.

Good work!:cheers:

As to the dash, I would most likely cut out the offending parts and weld new metal in. :popcorn:

Dont worry about frame off. If the frame is good it should not be a worry. looking good so far...enjoy the process!

Magnificent transformation :beer::beer:

Very nice! Next thing I would do is hack off the front bumper and get a proper installation of that winch so you can sport a nice shiny bezel again!

Man, it is looking good! As for the hard top, it looks like you have footman loops on the tailgate. Originally a soft top?

Love the color, are you going to clear coat it, or is this more of a trail rig and your wanting to touch up as you go? It looks like your 60 is the same color?

Good work!:cheers:

Thanks! Not sure about the top. I was under the impression that all barn doors had the footman loops. There weren't any signs of the loops on the body - but maybe I missed it :meh:. And the 60 is actually beige. Just a weird late afternoon light in that pic.

Very nice! Next thing I would do is hack off the front bumper and get a proper installation of that winch so you can sport a nice shiny bezel again!

Amen! Shopping for a new (used) bezel now.

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Ed

I'd just like to say that rattle-can restos are totally worthwhile. Honestly, a professional job is nice, but you end up kicking yourself every time a rock chips some paint off, or trees scrape it up. If you take your rig out to the trail, and throw some gravel around, and need cosmetic repairs later, just about any hardware store in the 'States carries Rust-oleum. I call it a win.

Great job so far, Cruiser Enthuiser, I folowed your TBI swap, and am looking forward to seeing just how awesome your 40 shapes up to be.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom