Diesel swap (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a 4bt in mine with compound turbos. I was happy with it when it was just one turbo, but me being me, I wanted more, it can produce 60psi when I gun it. There's no rattle, it's a well-balanced 4BTAA with an inline pump. I initially thought of the 6bt but heard it would be too heavy for the axles. The setup I have now is great, it crawls everywhere and the 4BT left enough room in the engine bay for extra stuff like two turbos, two batteries, a remote oil filter, and an air box. It can cruise easily on the highway at 80mph and was able to tow a loaded trailer at 103mph. I think I could have gone faster, but I ran out of road.
I'm also in the military and my workaround is to also keep it registered in Texas if I had to relocate to Colorado or San Diego.
I have this mental image of a built 60 doing 103 MPH towing a trailer. It’s next level

I have this mental image of a built 60 doing 103 MPH towing a trailer. It’s next level
I have a picture of it somewhere on my thread.

Now it’s a lot but I think this is the new goal

IMG_5834.jpeg

IMG_5833.jpeg

IMG_5831.jpeg

IMG_5832.jpeg

This is from that trip I was referring to. I couldn't find the pic that shows 103 mph, but I have the one that shows 101mph. I have the video of it somewhere. It was sustained boost for about 40psi with a max at 60.
20211230_121617 (1).jpg
IMG-20211230-WA0002.jpg
20211230_130510.jpg

Anybody heard of the Mercedes om606 I saw a YouTube video recently calling it the 2jz of diesels doesn’t seem to crazy priced found an engine and transmission for 6k and apparently they have kits for Toyota

calling @LAZ. he, i believe, has experience

don't forget you may need a separate trans controller for the 6L80 and similar newish transmissions if you're using a non-LS motor and ECU— this is about $1k

don't forget you may need a separate trans controller for the 6L80 and similar newish transmissions if you're using a non-LS motor and ECU— this is about $1k
That is true for the Mercedes 722.6 as well, you would need a TCU to control the transmission.
Depending on what kind of injection pump you run on the Om606, you have a few options to control the transmission with an OEM TCU or a stand alone unit.
In any case, if your TCU gets damaged ( OEM or any aftermarket unit ) your 722.6 transmission will still have first and reverse gears so you can still drive your rig.

Hey was wanting to diesel swap my 1988 fj62 Land Cruiser I’m located in San Diego was wondering if anybody knew of any shops who would be willing to do an engine swap want quality work for a good price.
We, Overland Cruisers in Montana could help you out with a 12ht. That would be the simplest swap. We have a good core that is ready for a rebuild. We also specialize in Cummins R2.8 conversions. We typically use A750s and HF2AV t-cases for an automatic set up. We What are you wanting to do with the truck as far as usability? Daily driver, overland build, crawler….

Typically the going rate for shops on a diesel swap seems to start at $25k as mod a few years ago. I imagine that’s higher now. The more complex that just goes up and up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom