Old Bessie's Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Those ring grooves in the manifold arms are as clean as they're going to get. Looks good. Personally I wouldn't put any goop in there to attempt to seal it. It's just going to burn off & clog up the works, preventing the rings from being able to expand & contract. The exhaust can get over 1000°F. Nothing that squeezes out of a tube can withstand that for very long.
Perfect! That's what I was hoping you would say. Thanks again!

Getting closer now!

One more thing.... the base plate that the carb sits on was broken so based on some advice from a fellow MUD member I got a strong piece of wire. Laid it in that tray cutout on the underside of the plate and put steel stick on it.

This should strengthen the plate and be ready for install soon.

IMG_4574.JPG

Next steps....

1. Wait on the parts to arrive from @beno early this week.

2. Assemble the intake and exhaust manifolds together with the new gaskets, insulator plate and new bolts.

3. Get it to the machine shop to resurface. Also, these two studs where the EGR J pipe went won't come out. I'm going to see if the machinist can get them out for me.

4. Then ASSEMBLY TIME!

View attachment 1515392
Regarding the studs on the egr. Mine stayed in. Gasket has holes for them wether you do the block off plate or not, you don't 'need' to get them out.

Next time, I believe w/ a stud you would want to double nut them.

Last edited:
Yes!... I got my hands on all of my parts today to put my manifold back together and reinstall it after it is resurfaced.

I sorted through them all and think I have my ducks in a row now. I'm taking the manifold into a machine shop tomorrow. He is going to put heliocoils in the manifold to prevent any cracks or stripped threads. Thanks for the great advice on that @Spike Strip and many others!

Once it is resurfaced I'll be ready to get her back together. Looking forward to the next stage of the journey!

IMG_4592.JPG

Love those shirts. I got one from ebay.

Flying to a work meeting and just read your thread. Nice job taking this on and cudoes for not backing down. You have some knowledgeable followers giving advice here. I have been the beneficiary of their knowledge many times over :)

Flying to a work meeting and just read your thread. Nice job taking this on and cudoes for not backing down. You have some knowledgeable followers giving advice here. I have been the beneficiary of their knowledge many times over :)
Thanks brother! I could not agree more. I'm very grateful for all of those that are chiming in and helping out this newbie. There are some incredibly smart people here on MUD and I'm thankful to benefit from their knowledge.

I am headed to the machine shop to pick up my newly resurfaced I/E Manifolds tomorrow morning. I can't wait! Just in time for the long weekend.

I've been reading up about torque sequence and amount of torque. Here's my question... when I normally bolt something like this down I think about torqueing down each bolt/nut a little at a time until it is all nice and tight.

Should I torque each bolt/nut down to the full torque before moving to the next one or a little at a time and then the final tightening do it to full torque? Or does it even matter!

Thanks guys!

I am headed to the machine shop to pick up my newly resurfaced I/E Manifolds tomorrow morning. I can't wait! Just in time for the long weekend.

I've been reading up about torque sequence and amount of torque. Here's my question... when I normally bolt something like this down I think about torqueing down each bolt/nut a little at a time until it is all nice and tight.

Should I torque each bolt/nut down to the full torque before moving to the next one or a little at a time and then the final tightening do it to full torque? Or does it even matter!

Thanks guys!

I get them all snug first, in the prescribed sequence, then go back in sequence and torque them to spec. I even over torque them a bit because they have been known to loosen up a bit after a few run cycles.

I do have a few questions that I thought I would throw out there...

In this picture you'll see one of the vacuum lines that went into the carb. There is this little valve in the vacuum line. I don't think I need to keep that after my desmog but can you guys confirm that? Thanks!

View attachment 1509219

Hey... did you throw out this valve yet? I might want to take it off your hands :)

I still have it if you need it. But I thought you were desmoged too? Just PM me your address and I'll send it your way!

Man that manifold looks awesome. Great work!

About that little plastic valve, I could use it if you're getting rid of it. I am desmogged, but I really just deleted everything emissions related. I left most performance related vacuum lines in tact. Most people just rip everything out, but there are a few babies I didn't want to throw out with the bath water.

That particular valve is for the choke opener. It's like a little vacuum bleeder valve that lets just a bit of air bleed out of the CO system. I'd like to add mine back into the mix, but I lost or accidentally gave away that little valve somewhere along the road.

Man that manifold looks awesome. Great work!

About that little plastic valve, I could use it if you're getting rid of it. I am desmogged, but I really just deleted everything emissions related. I left most performance related vacuum lines in tact. Most people just rip everything out, but there are a few babies I didn't want to throw out with the bath water.

That particular valve is for the choke opener. It's like a little vacuum bleeder valve that lets just a bit of air bleed out of the CO system. I'd like to add mine back into the mix, but I lost or accidentally gave away that little valve somewhere along the road.
Thanks brother! Excited to get it back on the truck. Let me know where you want that valve sent and I'll get it to you.

I'm working on getting the manifold back on the truck tonight and I'm trying to figure out the best way to get it back on the head. My plan is the hang it on the two center studs and then secure it all down. The exhaust opening at the bottom of the exhaust mani has the studs in it so it keeps catching on the manifold and I can get it in there.

Any tricks to doing this right? Is there a way to loosen that exhaust down pipe and get it out of the way?

The best way to do it, is just how you described. That exhaust down pipe "should" have enough wiggle in it to finesse it out of the way and then back into place. Don't worry, you won't hurt it by applying some gentle force.

I've been hitting it pretty hard today. Making a ton of progress.

I got the manifold back on. Carburetor is back on. Now I'm running the vacuum lines following Borick's how to desmog guide (which is awesome by the way)!

I'm stuck now and trying to figure out next steps. Maybe my brain is just dead but I thought a cold beer would help me make sense of my next steps. It tastes great but still no clarity!

I'm stuck on the A/C idle up to AC VSV. Is the A/C idle up the larger port next to the electrical connectors facing the driver side fender? And what the heck is the AC VSV? Can't seem to figure that out in this document.

Maybe the beer will bring clarity soon but in the meantime I thought I would ask you good folks!

Thanks!

IMG_4628.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom