Off-road capability - Locked 80 Series vs. LX570? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All,

I have a factory triple locked 80 Series (more info in my sig) and I'm considering selling it and buying a 2013-15 LX570. I'm curious to know how much off-road capability the hive mind thinks I'll be giving up. 25%, 10%? Imagine both rigs on 33" BFG's (I like 33's, nice compromise in my mind), and no aftermarket locker on the LX. I'm just wondering how much off-road capability I'm going to give up in the swap.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I personally don't think you are giving up much, if anything. I go off road, but on the trails, in the mountains of Colorado as well as farms and ranches here in Texas.

Never had any issues or something I thought "Oh I sure wish I had that nice hard front axle on an 80 to beat me up, instead of this awful comfortable independent front suspension to get me to the same place."

You may wheel harder than me, I am usually going camping, fishing or hunting; not bombing the baja or crawling moab. You will have to evaluate your use case.

More info on your use case? How many times per year do you lock all 3 diffs? How often do you use the winch? Ever tackle trails where vehicle size matters? Off road capability includes reliability......is the 80 in really good shape?

My 80 is dead reliable - I would drive it to any trail or to any location on the continent with supreme confidence. I've done more work on it, and replaced more parts with OEM parts, than I care to mention. Having said that, I use the rear locker on the trail a few times a year and the center diff more than that. I've only needed the front locker a few times in over ten years. I'm moving away from harder trails and enjoying more exploring to old mines, in the desert, etc. Hence my thinking that more power, more modern, more comfort, sounds nice.

Anyone else with an opinion re the capability step down in terms of a percentage of loss?

Just throwing this in there. The LX570 will have MTS and crawl control that will get you to alot of places a non-locked traditional 4x4 will not go.

I’ve never driven an 80 so I can’t speak from driver experience but I wheel with 80s, and I’d say the thing I notice is the extra width of the 200 and how tight the trail gets for me compared to the 80s. The next thing is wheel articulation. IFS just ends up on 3 wheels more often and you get fewer line choices. That said, MTS and Crawl are very effective. The last thing is weight. My 200 loaded up pushes 8000 lbs and is the reason I sometimes can’t get my back end up and over the ledge and why we usually have to strap two rigs together to winch me up and over or else I just pull the 80 down.

Overall i can hang with 80s. The things I can’t do are more related to tire size and ground clearance differences and that I’m not really a “send it” type guy.

The 80-series definitely has its strengths including a better size for trail work and more articulation. I see it as a niche tool whereas the 200-series is as a more broadly capable tool.

I haven't driven an 80-series, but given what it is, it has its weaknesses too. Many of which matter in the other 98% of driving unless one is looking for strictly a hardcore wheeler. I may be biased but I include many other types of off-roading in that other 98% too.

In general, the 80-series is better suited to rock crawling. Every other kind of off-roading is likely going to see the 200-series have an advantage. In pace, comfort, efficiency. The 80-series is not going to do Baja style running. It won't likely do well in sand or dunes where power is a factor. On-road, there's no contest. Especially if it includes overlanding, laden trip, towing, etc.

The 200-series has seen fitment of tire sizes up to 40". It can stuff 35" and likely 37" tires while maintaining most of its day-to-day qualities.

The LX on 33's will do Hell's Revenge in Moab. Do you need much more capability than that? Would you trade extreme comfort all-day every day for that extra bit of capability beyond what it takes to tackle Hell's however many/few times you need/want to do so? I think its probably that simple.

If you aren't doing rock crawling, or trails where a lot of articulation and departure angle is required, the 200 will be just fine. It will also be faster, more comfortable, quieter, and handle better in every situation off-trail. I typically found myself doing 80mph or better on gravel roads heading to trails in NV, ID, NM, and UT, as the vehicle is just that confident and comfortable. Additionally, the low speed traction control/crawl control in the 200 is pretty magical and IMO more than makes up for the IFS and lack of lockers. I personally rarely use the center diff lock as I find allowing all 4 wheels to be braked independently by the TC is more advantageous and allows for tighter turning on trail.

If you aren't doing rock crawling, or trails where a lot of articulation and departure angle is required, the 200 will be just fine. It will also be faster, more comfortable, quieter, and handle better in every situation off-trail. I typically found myself doing 80mph or better on gravel roads heading to trails in NV, ID, NM, and UT, as the vehicle is just that confident and comfortable. Additionally, the low speed traction control/crawl control in the 200 is pretty magical and IMO more than makes up for the IFS and lack of lockers. I personally rarely use the center diff lock as I find allowing all 4 wheels to be braked independently by the TC is more advantageous and allows for tighter turning on trail.

The 200 is fine rock crawling too.

No percentage value but with the below info i'd take a 570 all day long

"I'm moving away from harder trails and enjoying more exploring to old mines, in the desert, etc. Hence my thinking that more power, more modern, more comfort, sounds nice."
This.

I went from a 3x locked 80 (3" lift on 35's) to a 2010 LX, which quickly got 35's also.

Initially, I feel like it gave up a lot in offroad prowess.
1) ground clearance is greatly reduced, especially around the rockers. Older trucks are just built with higher bodywork. I have slee sliders and they've been used to the point they're bent into the rocker plastic on the driver side. I would consider sliders a requirement if you want to do some harder trails.
2) I find the electronic traction aids odd and not very helpful. ATRAC firing off while you're climbing an obstacle might help get you over the top, but just feels weird. I don't use crawl control at all as it just feels like a gimmick for Colorado wheeling (might be more useful on different types of trails) and it frankly makes the truck sound like it's broken :eek: I prefer to lock the center diff, turn off everything that I can, and just use both pedals to their fullest.
3) Size is an issue in some instances, but even being the giant whale this thing is, it is pretty nimble for it's size and it hasn't been too much of a problem. If you wheel it hard, you will gouge up the bumper plastics, and depending on your area, pinstripes are gonna happen. Par for the course, the 80 was the same, the LX is just a little worse.

I ran a couple pretty tough trails in the LX this summer and it didn't make it, so I doubled down and got F/R lockers. Now it's a beast and will do 90%+ of what the 80 could do (the remaining 10% being pure "hung up" or "it's just not going to fit") The 80 was just unstoppable off road and 90%+ of what my 80 could do is still a pretty darn good wheeler in my book. With the added benefit of massive power, easy handling, quiet/comfortable cruising, I'm now very satisfied with it overall, even as a semi-hardcore wheeler. Without the lockers, I'd say it's more like 75%-80% of what a 3x locked 80 could do. Just this guy's opinion :hillbilly:

Given your use case, I think you'll like the LX570. If you find you're running into situations where the off-road prowess isn't up to your needs, get a rear locker.

Last edited:
IMHO. If you off-road often enough over rough terrain, LC80 is superior to LC200 in pretty much every aspect off-road. Better clearances. Slimmer. Lighter weight. Lockers...there is no true substitution off-road for it...and i am a BIG fan of CRAWL. How much better? Depends on terrain. The only place that i can think where LC200 is better off-road is washboards....and that is because the LC200 suspension is better over that terrain.

Now everything outside rough terrain and off-road, the LC200 is far far ahead of LC80. No comparison.

And for those who think that LC200 is better than LC80 over rock crawling etc.......i will have what you're smoking bc it must be good sh!t!!

I went from a 3x locked 80 (3" lift on 35's) to a 2010 LX, which quickly got 35's also.

Initially, I feel like it gave up a lot in offroad prowess.
1) ground clearance is greatly reduced, especially around the rockers. Older trucks are just built with higher bodywork. I have slee sliders and they've been used to the point they're bent into the rocker plastic on the driver side. I would consider sliders a requirement if you want to do some harder trails.
2) I find the electronic traction aids odd and not very helpful. ATRAC firing off while you're climbing an obstacle might help get you over the top, but just feels weird. I don't use crawl control at all as it just feels like a gimmick for Colorado wheeling (might be more useful on different types of trails) and it frankly makes the truck sound like it's broken :eek: I prefer to lock the center diff, turn off everything that I can, and just use both pedals to their fullest.
3) Size is an issue in some instances, but even being the giant whale this thing is, it is pretty nimble for it's size and it hasn't been too much of a problem. If you wheel it hard, you will gouge up the bumper plastics, and depending on your area, pinstripes are gonna happen. Par for the course, the 80 was the same, the LX is just a little worse.

I ran a couple pretty tough trails in the LX this summer and it didn't make it, so I doubled down and got F/R lockers. Now it's a beast and will do 90%+ of what the 80 could do (the remaining 10% being pure "hung up" or "it's just not going to fit there.") The 80 was just unstoppable off road and 90%+ of what my 80 could do is a pretty darn good wheeler in my book. With the added benefit of massive power, easy handling, quiet/comfortable cruising, I'm now very satisfied with it overall, even as a semi-hardcore wheeler. Without the lockers, I'd say it's more like 75%-80% of what a 3x locked 80 could do. Just this guy's opinion :hillbilly:

Given your use case, I think you'll like the LX570. If you find you're running into situations where the off-road prowess isn't up to your needs, get a rear locker.
Well said, this post is the best so far (especially #2).

I have both a locked 80 and a 200. When I got the 200 I planned some upgrades and sell the 80. Now with a year under the wheels I have decided that while very capable, the 200 will remain stock (slightly larger tires) and it will see duty as my daily, a tow vehicle and running mild trails as part of camping and exploring and the 80 will stay for intentional off-roading. moderate to hard trails due to items 1,2,3 in the post quoted.

OP I don't think anyone can give you a "percentage", only you know what you are comfortable doing, that said I think a 200 series would seem to fit the bill based on your comments.

If it also has to be my daily, there isn't a trail in Moab, Ouray or the whole of Arizona that would make me give up my 200 to be able to do because I haven't found many (any that I've attempted) that my 200 couldn't do. The 3x Locked 80 is the perfect rock crawling go anywhere trail/camping rig if its not also your daily driver. Of my probably 10,000 miles this year in the 200, I knocked out Cruise Moab, 175 miles in the maze district of Canyonlands, Rimrocker Trail, a bunch of Alpine Loop miles, many local club runs and camping trips. By far the most most miles I've done on dirt in a single year and still probably less than 10% of my total miles. Never needed more capability. Never even needed my lockers. All of that dirt was in comfort. Most importantly though the other 90% of those miles were pure luxury and in the much much much safer of the two vehicles.

Hey All,

I have a factory triple locked 80 Series (more info in my sig) and I'm considering selling it and buying a 2013-15 LX570. I'm curious to know how much off-road capability the hive mind thinks I'll be giving up. 25%, 10%? Imagine both rigs on 33" BFG's (I like 33's, nice compromise in my mind), and no aftermarket locker on the LX. I'm just wondering how much off-road capability I'm going to give up in the swap.

Thanks for your thoughts.
The 200 is capable.

The big question for me would be: Is spending the money for buying and building the 200 worth the comfort??? Selling a built rig never seems to get full return on investment, maybe a built 80 is different. Then you will need to fix the common issues of an LX and then build it which can cost $$$.

Not sure the extra money is worth the exchange, unless you are just tired of the 80 and want to build something new.

Dunno why it always takes me seeing someone else mention it to remember.. will you be putting family into this rig? If so there is no comparison from a safety perspective.

Thanks for all the thoughtful posts, fellas. In answer to the last question, yes, I often have my family (wife and 2 teenage boys) with me on the trail. The 80 is very tight inside with all of us, and fridge in back, recovery gear, etc. I'm convinced that I want to buy an LX. I've test driven a few and I love it. What I'm really torn about is selling the 80. It's just magical to me. *sigh* I could probably afford to keep both, but I really don't have the space to keep the 80. We'll see.
Thanks for all your post, guys. I plan to get the 200 and put 33's or 34's on it, some Slee sliders, and a hidden winch, and see what kind of trouble I can get into with that setup. If I feel that I need more capability, I'll probably get a rear locker.
Thanks, again, for all your feedback.

I sold my '97 LX450 (triple locked, supercharged, blah, blah) when I bought my 200 and I have regretted doing so since. Especially since the prices have gone up, up, up. So if you can swing it, I'd keep it and see if you end up using it or not. If you have teenagers coming along, it would be a driver for one or both of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom