Builds Newly Restored 40 With Questions from the Past (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Connect the ARB compressor for the wench?

What do you mean by that? They are independent of each other. Plus it's winch.....not wench

Yeah, I noticed that too, but was too lazy to type!

You don't have enough wrap of the belt on the power steering pump pulley, normally wish for at least 50% wrap. Will work ok on the street with little wrap, but in off road terrain (rocks) belt will squeak all day long, every time tire comes up against a rock, which is the same as turning gear box to full right or left stop, binds the pump since tire wants to go straight and rock wants to turn tire, then belt easily slips/squeaks- - -been there, done that..

You don't have enough wrap of the belt on the power steering pump pulley, normally wish for at least 50% wrap. Will work ok on the street with little wrap, but in off road terrain (rocks) belt will squeak all day long, every time tire comes up against a rock, which is the same as turning gear box to full right or left stop, binds the pump since tire wants to go straight and rock wants to turn tire, then belt easily slips/squeaks- - -been there, done that..

This is great insight, thank you! I have heard the squeak when I crank the wheel all the way to either direction. Easy fix?

This is great insight, thank you! I have heard the squeak when I crank the wheel all the way to either direction. Easy fix?

Yup. Move the alternator to the passenger side utilizing the three hole mounts at the front of your cylinder head. It will run on the other pulley, so there will be more wrap on each.

I actually like those wheels. Who manufactures them...also happen to know the size?

Nice looking rig! Oh, and beer looks cold.

33" BFG AllTerains. Not sure on wheels, definitely not anything fancy!

Ok 40 fans, back with some news; good and bad...

Like most, this ol girl isnt my daily driver, I am keeping her at my folks house until I can get my garage built on our property. I went over this weekend with the intention of giving her some TLC. I ran a couple errands on the way home before I noticed that she started to have some drivability issues; sputtering and backfiring. When I got her home, I couldnt even get the it to turn over.

After doing some research, I decided to change the plugs. Voila, she was again alive! Everything seemed in order so I took her for a drive. Not too long into our adventure I started to have the same symptoms, sputtering and even stalling on the road. After parking her at home for a while, I tried to drive her back to my folks house; I didnt even make it down the street! When I pulled back in the driveway the carb was smoking like crazy.

Obvious solution: rebuild the carb??? I think she sat for so long (especially with the PO) that the seals are shot. Anyone else agree or have similar experience? Rig has an aftermarket Weber carb.

Thank you!!!

IMG_9891.JPG

IMG_9903.jpg

IMG_9911.JPG

Hello Mud Family!

Question for you all:

I recently changed out the coolant hoses on my rig, flushed the coolant as well. I have started to noticed a coolant leak which I assumed was from a loose hose, however it appears that it is coming from somewhere else? Any ideas? The thermostat seems to be sealed well but anything is fair game. I am curious where else coolant can come from? It is not a major leak, however I want to fix it ASAP!

Thank you!!!

Chris

IMG_0676.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_0687.jpg

IMG_0688.jpg

It could be coming from the small relief hole on the bottom of the water pump shaft area indicating the seal in the pump is gone

Yes, I am thinking there are seals that are bad. I just don't know how many of them are coolant related.

Would this be a water pump seal? I'll check SOR for a kit. Any other potential leaky spots?

EDIT: Does this look like the part?

Last edited:
Yes, I am thinking there are seals that are bad. I just don't know how many of them are coolant related.

Would this be a water pump seal? I'll check SOR for a kit. Any other potential leaky spots?

EDIT: Does this look like the part?

View attachment 1937499

Thats is a water pump to block seal. While it's possible this is leaking, it's different than leaking from the "weep hole" on the bottom of a water pump. A leak from the weep hole means that seal on the inside of the water pump is going out and will most likely continue to get worse and fail at worst possible time. I would just replace the water pump, in which case you will need that gasket that you posted as well.

Thats is a water pump to block seal. While it's possible this is leaking, it's different than leaking from the "weep hole" on the bottom of a water pump. A leak from the weep hole means that seal on the inside of the water pump is going out and will most likely continue to get worse and fail at worst possible time. I would just replace the water pump, in which case you will need that gasket that you posted as well.

Thank you!

To be safe, I should replace the water pump and the gasket above? Should I look at the thermostat while I am at it or is that overkill?

Thank you!

Thank you!

To be safe, I should replace the water pump and the gasket above? Should I look at the thermostat while I am at it or is that overkill?

Thank you!

View attachment 1937541

Be sure to shop around, you can find water pumps from vendors that are very active on here as well. I like to support those that give TONS of free advice here.

I would also do a thermostat/thermogasket and thermogasket to block gasket while I had that all apart getting dirty with coolant.

Have you gotten it warm and watched to see where it's dripping from? Should be pretty easy to find looking at the drips on the axle. I had one leak, but it only leaked when it warmed up and was running. Just sitting there it wouldn't leak at all.

It's possible it's not the water pump, but those are the usual suspects. Would hate to just throw parts at something, but thats were I'd focus looking at first.

@GA Architect is correct, thats the weep hole which may or may not be your issue.

Be sure to shop around, you can find water pumps from vendors that are very active on here as well. I like to support those that give TONS of free advice here.

I would also do a thermostat/thermogasket and thermogasket to block gasket while I had that all apart getting dirty with coolant.

Have you gotten it warm and watched to see where it's dripping from? Should be pretty easy to find looking at the drips on the axle. I had one leak, but it only leaked when it warmed up and was running. Just sitting there it wouldn't leak at all.

It's possible it's not the water pump, but those are the usual suspects. Would hate to just throw parts at something, but thats were I'd focus looking at first.

@GA Architect is correct, thats the weep hole which may or may not be your issue.

I am definitely having a hard time determining source of the leak. It will leak when its cold, however it leaks more after use, naturally. Nothing too dramatic.

Also, if this is the issue any vendors on here that can help source the parts?

Thank you!

I am definitely having a hard time determining source of the leak. It will leak when its cold, however it leaks more after use, naturally. Nothing too dramatic.

Also, if this is the issue any vendors on here that can help source the parts?

Thank you!

Yep, I would try clean the engine off up front, then get it warm then just sit and watch while it idles and chase drips. It's slightly more exciting than watching paint dry. On the other hand, for less than $150 you can replace water pump, gaskets and thermostat rule those out.

Good vendors to use on here that are on here
@cruiseroutfit @Cruiser Corps @wardharris (cruiser brothers) @beno and a few others sorry if I missed you.

Yep, I would try clean the engine off up front, then get it warm then just sit and watch while it idles and chase drips. It's slightly more exciting than watching paint dry. On the other hand, for less than $150 you can replace water pump, gaskets and thermostat rule those out.

Good vendors to use on here that are on here
@cruiseroutfit @Cruiser Corps @wardharris (cruiser brothers) @beno and a few others sorry if I missed you.

I may go the replacement route. Getting her ready for Solid Axle Summit this Summer and do not want any issues on the trail.

What parts make up the thermostat? I'm sure @Cruiser Corps would know.

I may go the replacement route. Getting her ready for Solid Axle Summit this Summer and do not want any issues on the trail.

What parts make up the thermostat? I'm sure @Cruiser Corps would know.

just actual thermostat, gasket between the top/bottom thermostat housing, and gasket to thermostat/block. Any of the vendors will make sure you have all the right stuff.

I would love to go to SAS but doubtful as the summer is already getting packed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom