New Zealand 1976 FJ55 Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys
I had a thread in the 45 & 55 series tech but seams this is the best place for information on rebuilding Iron Pigs.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1976-fj55-rebuild.926218

I been busy with work so not much progress, the body is looking sad in the paddock. Also blew the front diff in the surf so had to replace that. I have been playing with the wet blaster on the front guards when Ive had the time. It certainly strips paint and rust really well but goes through some sand. Flash rusting does seam to be a bit of an issue but no more so than dry blasting provided I dry them quick.

For doing the axles, springs, and chassis I want to wet blast then dry but they will need a light sand before under coating. I was thinking of buying a needlegun scaler for getting in the difficult areas?? what does everyone else use for getting into the difficult to reach areas?

Also how more New Zealand can you get than a this....
Sheep-min.jpg

I did a lot of hand scrubbing with a wire brush. On the springs, I took the pack a part and then cleaned and painted each leave.

That is about as Kiwi as you can get! Cheers!

I had a couple of days off work over the last weekend and put a bit of time into the truck. I brought some 20 gauge electrogalv sheet steel from Priests Sheet Metal and started to cut out and repair the rust. I started on the front guards which the a PO had done some serious bogging and also tried to braze a patched into. I ended up cutting out a re fabricating a fairly large section of the guard and support strut. The electrogalv is great and it does not rust and needs no preparation before welding. My first few welds left something to be desired, but nothing the grinder couldn't fix ;)
IMG_1448.jpg
IMG_1449.jpg
IMG_1453.jpg
IMG_1454.jpg

I also added dolly wheels to the frame so I can work on the body. I reattached the dog house and made some minor repairs where rust had got in behind the guard support bracket and rusted through. I have been soaking the rusted guards, dog house, and other panels in a brine of 1:10 parts molasses to water solution. this works magic on removing rust and grime from the panels, just a couple of weeks in the brine then a quick water blast :clap: and the come up great.
IMG_1466.jpg
IMG_1467.jpg

I braced across the doors and started looking at the small patch of rust in the passengers floor pan, striped off the paint with the wire brush and began to question what i an really in for!
there is a fair bit of rust in the front corner including the front of the rocker panel and body mount, all of which will need to be re fabricated.
IMG_1468.jpg
IMG_1470.jpg

I went ahead a brought a needle gun scaler but it seams to work really good on the likes of the diffs and springs. It does make a mess of sheet steel as just leaves tiny dents. I dont think it will replace the wet sandblaster for removing the bulk of the rust, but will be great for the prep before painting.

Nice work. Good on ya!

Hi Guys
I had a thread in the 45 & 55 series tech but seams this is the best place for information on rebuilding Iron Pigs.
1976 FJ55 Rebuild

I been busy with work so not much progress, the body is looking sad in the paddock. Also blew the front diff in the surf so had to replace that. I have been playing with the wet blaster on the front guards when Ive had the time. It certainly strips paint and rust really well but goes through some sand. Flash rusting does seam to be a bit of an issue but no more so than dry blasting provided I dry them quick.

For doing the axles, springs, and chassis I want to wet blast then dry but they will need a light sand before under coating. I was thinking of buying a needlegun scaler for getting in the difficult areas?? what does everyone else use for getting into the difficult to reach areas?

Also how more New Zealand can you get than a this....View attachment 1335225

and you guys wonder why I h8lambs...

Hi greendale surf
Great work on the fj55, i just recently bought an fj55 and was wondering if you knew anywhere to get parts in NZ?

LAMBCUSHER how could you hate something that tastes so good....
Started cutting out the front of the rocker panel, turns it was fill of rust so out with the old and in with the new!
A.jpg
c.jpg

Turns out that, the more you did the more you find. Rust gets in everywhere. What have you guys done in the tight places like this, did you pull it all apart and cut out the rust?
It took quite a few attempts to replicate the bend for the rocker, I left is somewhat unfinshed for refitting so the final shape will be slightly different to the original. Hard to compare with the RH side as is mostly rusted as well, but its only a fraction off i thick so wont be noticeable.
b.jpg

Two days cutting and grinding and the bottom of the front door pillar repaired, even the brace behind the pillar has to be replaced. And to boot I ran out of gas, so had to use flux core wire in the MIG. So much additional cleaning and so slow. Next weekends project is to make a new body mount, Then once I have more gas, fit the skin to finish the rocker panel.

Hey Wild Pig, great to see a fellow Kiwi in with the Pigs :beer:
I've had no luck with parts in NZ, but keen to even if I have to buy s second rig.

A bit of a progress report form the last few weeks.
To make access to the bottom of the truck easier I decided to extend the frame side so I could roll the truck onto its side. This turned out to be a disaster! After successfully lifting it over, when pushing it back in the shed one of the steel supports twisted. The truck started to fully roll until it hit the side of the shed. So no I have a new dent in the truck roof and and a dent in the shed!
IMG_1613.jpg
IMG_1611.jpg

Plan II. Build a complete rotisserie for the truck. I kind of copies Ron’s frame from his SLOW 71 thread, using the steel and an old engine stand that I already had. It works a real treat.
Cheers for the ideas Ron, You're an inspiration. :beer: SLOW 71
IMG_1614.jpg
IMG_1636.jpg

Sorry for the side ways photo :)

More work on the lower section of the A pillar, which has morphed into completely removing the right hand (passengers) side rocker panel. I don’t really know what if stated…
IMG_1637.jpg
IMG_1638.jpg
IMG_1644.jpg

A bit of a progress report form the last few weeks.
To make access to the bottom of the truck easier I decided to extend the frame side so I could roll the truck onto its side. This turned out to be a disaster! After successfully lifting it over, when pushing it back in the shed one of the steel supports twisted. The truck started to fully roll until it hit the side of the shed. So no I have a new dent in the truck roof and and a dent in the shed!
View attachment 1439331 View attachment 1439330
What kind of bear is that in the picture?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom