New shop. Need lighting advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello. Have been reading on here, and am enjoying seeing what you all have done with your shops. Ive got a new 40x60 up with 18' sidewalls. White steel on the inside and am looking for advice and ideas of what to do for lighting. I have an 18' loft on one end, two bay doors with windows, opposite end of doors has one window, and one side wall with 2 windows. Just finished up pouring the floor and apron tonight, pads for a 12k lift are there. Loft is just a little over 8' from floor to bottom of 2x12s. I think I have a pretty good idea of what I need, but wanna hear some suggestions from you guys or what you have and what you would have done differently. Ill post a pic or two tomorrow when I log in from my phone.

LED linear panels from a reputable supplier (e.g. Lithonia). I put 16 15000 lumen in a 40' x 40' shop with 16' walls and I would say it's very well lit. Given your 18' walls then you might consider 22000 lumen panels and you might want 4' or 8' LED fluorescent configuration fixtures under the loft.

Few pics of what I have goin on….
IMG_3933.jpeg
IMG_3932.jpeg

IMG_3934.jpeg
IMG_3958.jpeg

I'm thinking 24 of these: Lithonia Lighting Contractor Select I-Beam 2 ft. 250-Watt Equivalent Integrated LED Dimmable White High Bay Light Fixture, 5000K IBE 18LM MVOLT 50K - The Home Depot - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-Lighting-Contractor-Select-I-Beam-2-ft-250-Watt-Equivalent-Integrated-LED-Dimmable-White-High-Bay-Light-Fixture-5000K-IBE-18LM-MVOLT-50K/306254670

Or something equivalent.

They are 18000 lumen fixtures. You might step up to 22000 lumens in the same line but with all that white interior I think you would be ok with the 18000. You need special wiring which is 2 conductor with a ground and 2 low voltage signal wires if you want to use the dimmer function. I would probably split your lights into either 2 or 3 groups on separate switches. I used an armorflex type cable made by Southwire. It worked well. I would just use LED fluorescent type fixtures under the loft. Lots of options there.

Your doors look really nice but they will be in the way of the lighting when open. I'm not sure exactly how much clearance you have there. My shop has commercial roll up doors so no interference at all.

Great looking shop btw; you did a great job!

This is the wire: MCAP® PCS Duo™ Power & Control/Signal Cable Type MC All Purpose | Southwire - https://www.southwire.com/wire-cable/metal-clad-cable/mcap-pcs-duo-power-control-signal-cable-type-mc-all-purpose/p/MC45

You would need to check the size based on amperage. Guessing 14/2 is plenty.

And you need this type of switch if you want dimming. Several options out there by Lithonia and Leviton.

Have you already made provisions for lighting in the walls and ceilings or are you going to run everything outside the interior sheathing?

Edit: Dimming is definitely not a must but all these lights seem to come with that capability - if you want to make use of it.

Last edited:
Thank you, @WarDamnEagle !! I am planning on running everything outside the sheeting. I am thinking three rows of eight. One row right down the center, and the other two 8' or so off the side walls. The last three over the loft will be on their own switch and then all three rows on three more. I do like the idea of being able to dim if I want to. Under the loft, I was thinking three or four 8' running length wise, probably four on two switches. I am going to print out the links you posted and take them with me when I meet the electrician there later this week.

The loft is gonna be mainly storage for things I dont use everyday, and then a couch, fridge, etc up there. We bought a new TV for the house, so was planning on taking the 75" out of the living room and put it up there, but........ with white walls, why not do a projector???? NEVER ends!!!!!!

Thank you, @WarDamnEagle !! I am planning on running everything outside the sheeting. I am thinking three rows of eight. One row right down the center, and the other two 8' or so off the side walls. The last three over the loft will be on their own switch and then all three rows on three more. I do like the idea of being able to dim if I want to. Under the loft, I was thinking three or four 8' running length wise, probably four on two switches. I am going to print out the links you posted and take them with me when I meet the electrician there later this week.

The loft is gonna be mainly storage for things I dont use everyday, and then a couch, fridge, etc up there. We bought a new TV for the house, so was planning on taking the 75" out of the living room and put it up there, but........ with white walls, why not do a projector???? NEVER ends!!!!!!
I think 4 rows of 6 will give you more even lighting. You really need more than 3 lights wide on 40'. Not the greatest photo but here's a quick pick of one corner of my 40 x 40 which is 4 rows of 4.

IMG_1449.jpeg

My shop doors are oriented 90 degrees from yours so you might consider turning the lights so that they are linear with the long side of the building. Otherwise, again, I would go with 4 rows with 6 evenly spaced panels on each row. Lithonia has a lighting modeling tool that you can use and I played with it incessantly before going the way I went. My target was >100 ft-candles at 30" off the floor.

Definitely want dimming.
And you definitely want to be 100% certain of the color temperature you want. Personally, I cannot stand 5000K, makes my eyes bleed. In the metaphorical sense. I would love to have 3500K, but they're hard to source, so I've 4000K got in zones and can dim via 0-10V combo slider switches..
I use magnet lights, headlights and task lights for more intense work.

I've actually replaced all the lighting in my 1800ft2 garage once already. Couldn't live with the 12" drop on the panel fixtures. Switched to long, surface mount fixtures. I have 12.5' walls.

Also, if the budget allows, buy an extra fixture or two to allow for a failure down the road.

$0.02

Purchased from these guys.
Call for best pricing.

Last edited:
Definitely want dimming.
And you definitely want to be 100% certain of the color temperature you want. Personally, I cannot stand 5000K, makes my eyes bleed. In the metaphorical sense. I would love to have 3500K, but they're hard to source, so I've 4000K which in zones and can dim via 0-10V skiders.
I use magnet lights, headlights and task lights for more intense work.

I've actually replaced all the lighting in my 1800ft2 garage once already. Couldn't live with the 12" drop on the panel fixtures. Switched to long, surface mount fixtures. I have 12.5' walls.

Also, if the budget allows, buy an extra fixture or two to allow for a failure down the road.

$0.02
I went back and forth between 4k and 5k color but I'm very pleased with the 5k. I wouldn't want it in my house but it's great in the shop. Agree you wouldn't want any drop with 12' or so ceilings. I have 16' walls and my panels are hanging around 15 1/2'. I think somewhere around 15' is the minimum height you want for panels. Below that I would use 8' LED fluorescent size tubes.

I went back and forth between 4k and 5k color but I'm very pleased with the 5k. I wouldn't want it in my house but it's great in the shop. Agree you wouldn't want any drop with 12' or so ceilings. I have 16' walls and my panels are hanging around 15 1/2'. I think somewhere around 15' is the minimum height you want for panels. Below that I would use 8' LED fluorescent size tubes.

I made some costly and not-well-thought-out changes during construction. Pissed away about a foot of overhead height. If I could go back in time, I'd be much better off.

RE: color, I can't describe it, but 5000K just hurts and kinda makes me a bit rage-y. I some some sort of photosensitivity. When I was a kid, I used to pass out under the fluorescent lights in big department stores.

We've got mostly LED in the house. 2700K in the living spaces. 3500K in the kitchen. 4000K in the baths. It feels about right to me. I've seen spaces lit with 6000K. It's like how I imagine a CIA black site would be lit for enhanced interrogation.

I really appreciate all the input! I can see doing four rows of six also. One thing that I have to take some time and play around with is the color. I want it to be like a fricken tanning bed, I absolutely CANNOT stand a dark or shady shop!!! lol I absolutely despise using any headlamps or drop lights. Thats why I really like the idea of being able to adjust the brightness by dimming them down.

Adding to the ideas Im kicking around...... Compressor. Ideas, suggestions, or input on where you have put yours. Ill post a better pic tomorrow from my phone, but under the stairs Im planning on being my utility room. Thats where the panel, manifolds, and water heater for the floor are located. Gonna enclose that first thing after I get moved in. Should I try and jam the compressor in there also? Other thought is up on the loft. What have you guys done or would have done differently?

You're going to want 5k temp for color. I have little to no shadowing under a car when it's on my lift. 4 rows of 6 would be identical to my orientation and spacing, FWIW. Since you are thinking about using the dimming function, you might bump the fixture size up to 25,000 lumens. I'll try to throw those into their model and see what it comes up with.

Not sure you have enough room for a large compressor under the stairs but I definitely would not put it in the loft - it's way too heavy and I think that would only reverberate any noise throughout the shop. Maybe think about a slightly larger room that takes in a little more than just under the stairs?

I have not bought my compressor yet but have decided on a 5HP, 80 gal Ingersoll Rand in their Whisper Quiet line (more or less the same as their Polar Air line). Guessing you would need something like 3' x 4' for that unit but that's just a guess.

One other reason I wouldn't put the compressor in the loft (if you need one). You typically want to anchor larger compressors to something that won't vibrate (like a slab) with isolation pads in between the slab and the compressor.

I have not bought my compressor yet but have decided on a 5HP, 80 gal Ingersoll Rand in their Whisper Quiet line (more or less the same as their Polar Air line). Guessing you would need something like 3' x 4' for that unit but that's just a guess.
Not sure where my head was yesterday. Eaton makes the Whisper Quiet Line.

Good point, @WarDamnEagle about being anchored. I didnt even think of that aspect. I think Im going to end up putting it on the right side of the right bay door after thinking about it. I am planning on putting the tire machine over there also.

Tonight I met with another electrician, got sick of being jerked around by the first guy. Gonna be sending over the lighting info for him to look at tonight so he can look it over this weekend. He is doing this as a side job, so hes pretty anxious to get in and get to work.

Thank you, @onemanarmy !! Its just the start, but hopefully gonna take shape fairly quickly!!

Put the sealer down on the apron this afternoon, so concrete is done until next year. Gonna add some more next year. Starting to move stuff in on Sunday......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom