Any forklift mechanics here? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got this off GovPlanet a couple weeks ago - Ekko EK20R. Full on Chinese built machine. Only has 300hrs on it and I've found/fixed several minor issues but it's got a broken king pin in one of the steering knuckles and I'm hitting a wall trying to find one and associated bearings/etc. Haven't been able to find any Ekko dealers anywhere near me and Ekko support wants part numbers to order from China. Problem is crappy parts manual is missing the individual parts for the steering axle. For other forklifts simple king pin kits are available but I haven't been able to find for this unit.

Broken king pin is .988 .980 dia x 7.25 long. Gotta believe it's simply a copy of another brand but I can't find dimensions for various easily available king pin kits. Worst case, I can make a pin that will probably work well enough given the limited use it's likely to get over the rest of its life but I'd like to get the correct part if possible and bearings.

IMG_2204.jpg

Last edited:
I've never heard of that brand.

I think you'd do well to make one from 4140. Through hardened to 50-55rc

For lighter use 4140ph is probably fine.

I'd never heard of Ekko either. All the logos are simply adhesive plastic letters so it's probably sold under different names in different countries. I made a temporary pin out of some 1144 I had so it's usable for the time being. Didn't make it greasable but there's probably enough grease in the bearings until I can find the correct parts. If I have to make another one, I'll go with 4140.

Different steels/heat treating is still voodoo to me. I need to spend some time learning a little one of these days. I've got an oven that will go to 2000F but some of the ceramic that holds the coils cracked in a move and I need to figure out some way to deal with that or find another oven.

I'd never heard of Ekko either. All the logos are simply adhesive plastic letters so it's probably sold under different names in different countries. I made a temporary pin out of some 1144 I had so it's usable for the time being. Didn't make it greasable but there's probably enough grease in the bearings until I can find the correct parts. If I have to make another one, I'll go with 4140.

Different steels/heat treating is still voodoo to me. I need to spend some time learning a little one of these days. I've got an oven that will go to 2000F but some of the ceramic that holds the coils cracked in a move and I need to figure out some way to deal with that or find another oven.

I've made a lot of pins and bushings for heavy equipment and 4140 at 50-55RC is my go to for the job. I don't heat treat in house, but the WEDM toolmaker shop next door does. They tell me 4140 is dirt simple to heat treat. If you have the oven I expect that is 90% of the challenge out of the way already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom