New owner of 2nd Gen 4Runner - recommended maintenance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Everyone,
I recently purchased a 1993 4runner SR5 3.0/v6 automatic with 205k miles. It appears to be well taken care of aesthetically and mechanically according to the carfax and owner (Timing belt done at 178k, regular oil changes cataloged, A/C system replaced in 2019). The only thing, I could see wrong with it is the shifter lever is a bit loose. I plan on changing all fluids (oil, power steering, coolant, transmission, brake), replacing spark plugs, wires and disrtirbutor, all the filters, hoses and belts. I know the v6's are know for head gasket failures. Assuming the head gasket has not failed (YET), what kind of maintenance would you recommend?
Thank you for the help.

4run2.jpg

4run3.jpg

4run5.jpg

Aside from what you are planning, I would add new gear oil in the diffs. Then drive it and enjoy.

headers have been said to do the trick, and flush and fill with toyota red coolant. i've also head of people adding an extra electric fan run off its own switch that they can turn on in high temp situations- stop and go traffic, ac on when its 100 degrees out, etc

headers have been said to do the trick, and flush and fill with toyota red coolant. i've also head of people adding an extra electric fan run off its own switch that they can turn on in high temp situations- stop and go traffic, ac on when its 100 degrees out, etc
It would be even better to add a timer to the extra fan so it continues to blow for a while after the engine shuts down. Most of the issues with the 3.0 (and 3.4) is due to the hot soak condition (from manifolds and crossover) after shutdown. many of the 3.0 4runners actually have an auxiliary electric fan for the ac

Last edited:
It would be even better to add a timer to the extra fan so it continues to blow for a while after the engine shuts down. Most of the issues with the 3.0 (and 3.4) is due to the hot soak condition (from manifolds and crossover) after shutdown. many of the 3.0 4runners actually have an auxiliary electric fan for the ac
That's a good thought- I hadn't considered the timer. Wonder if there is a way to install one towards the rear of the engine so as to cool the crossover and manifolds?

@brettk- Thanks for the bushing number, I was hoping it was a simple fix.
@CreeperSleeper - I had not thought about a new exhaust manifold. I've been meaning to call the Toyota dealer shown in the Carfax perhaps they can shed some light on the HG since it doesn't appear to be listed.
@89GASHOG - Yes its 2wd. I didn't know this delete kit existed but it sounds like it requires a bit more tools and materials that I don't have access to at the moment.
@D21FJ60 - Perhaps an extra electric fan along with new headers and Toyota red coolant will help.
@liveoak - and add a timer (?)
What are the chances the headgasket won't need to be replaced? I can't imagine all second gen 4runners needed their headgaskets replaced.
Thanks again for the support.

Coincidentally my mother’s 02 4Runner is doing the exact same thing. I couldn’t find a write up on here unfortunately, here’s one I found on the inter webs. I’ll probably end up making one on here in a few weeks or so unless you beat me to it.

What do y'all think about replacing parts like oxygen sensors and radiator that have are not broken (yet)?

What do y'all think about replacing parts like oxygen sensors and radiator that have are not broken (yet)?

Oxygen sensors should be considered PM every 100k miles or so. Ive got an 89 pickup that didn’t give me a check engine light, but ran super rich. Oxygen sensor fixed it.

As long as the radiators not leaking, change the fluid and keep going. Yours looks to be in good shape from what we can see in the picture above.

@brettk- Thanks for the bushing number, I was hoping it was a simple fix.
@CreeperSleeper - I had not thought about a new exhaust manifold. I've been meaning to call the Toyota dealer shown in the Carfax perhaps they can shed some light on the HG since it doesn't appear to be listed.
@89GASHOG - Yes its 2wd. I didn't know this delete kit existed but it sounds like it requires a bit more tools and materials that I don't have access to at the moment.
@D21FJ60 - Perhaps an extra electric fan along with new headers and Toyota red coolant will help.
@liveoak - and add a timer (?)
What are the chances the headgasket won't need to be replaced? I can't imagine all second gen 4runners needed their headgaskets replaced.
Thanks again for the support.

Give Toyota dealer your VIN and they should be able to check it out. The delete kit would be a helluva lot cheaper than headers.

But I agree with BrettK above. Just change the fluids as planned and drive it as is.

I’ve got a set of LCE Headers on my 22re and they’re fantastic. I noticed a slight increase in power, but don’t expect to start smoking people at red lights. I would definitely opt for it if the budget allowed, otherwise get the kit that @89GASHOG mentioned and take it to a local muffler shop to have them fab up a new down pipe for you. If I had to guess, I would say it wouldn’t cost you more than $100 on top of the kit.

I’ve got a set of LCE Headers on my 22re and they’re fantastic. I noticed a slight increase in power, but don’t expect to start smoking people at red lights. I would definitely opt for it if the budget allowed, otherwise get the kit that @89GASHOG mentioned and take it to a local muffler shop to have them fab up a new down pipe for you. If I had to guess, I would say it wouldn’t cost you more than $100 on top of the kit.
You know the delete kit sounds good to me. My only concerns are the removal of the crossover pipe since it sounds quite challenging. Also, explaining to the shop what I want them to do since I'm still figuring out how the modification works.

You know the delete kit sounds good to me. My only concerns are the removal of the crossover pipe since it sounds quite challenging. Also, explaining to the shop what I want them to do since I'm still figuring out how the modification works.

Challenging for the home mechanic. A good exhaust shop shouldn't have a problem with it.

So I changed the oil, coolant, radiator hoses, and thermostat. This weekend I want to change my transmission and rear differential fluids and grease the driveshaft. Regarding the drive shaft, there seems to be only one place that needs to lubricated which is nearest to the transmission
pic1-jpg.53089
because the other end that attaches to the rear differential does not have any fittings.
pic2-jpg.53090
What grease should I use? What weight of differential fluid do y'all recommend? Thanks again.

For things like thermostat, plug wires and distributor cap I would only replace with oem parts. Sumitomo (spelling?) for plug wires. If you’re replacing parts just for the sake of replacing parts and you’re using inexpensive aftermarket you may be making a downgrade. I had a failed thermostat (autozone aftermarket installed by previous owner) stick and lunch a 3fe right after I bought it. If available I will only run Toyota/Aisin/etc oem parts.

Re: question above, Just use regular old gear oil, what is it 75-90? Same with the lube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom