New Land Cruiser owner: 1993 RHD Turbo Diesel from the UK (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
I have just purchased a new to me 1993 Land Cruiser VX RHD. It was imported from the UK 12 years ago. Curious to know if I have an HDJ80 or 81 .. it is RHD but has the dash in MPH. This is my first cruiser.
IMG_3111.JPG
IMG_938E313FAFF5-1.jpeg

Heres the run down:

The GOOD:
223k original miles on the 1HDT
NEW A/T
Very clean leather interior (Flawless headliner , no stains or rips, minor cracking on leather, heated/power seats, lumbar support)
new BFG k02's
no major leaks
New aluminum radiator
Timing belt 20k miles ago
All windows and sunroof work
After market exhaust (sounds so nice)
Came with OME HD springs (still need installed.)
Triple Locked

The QUESTIONABLE:
ACSD leaking.
Brakes function but feel very spongy.
CDL engages in low, but neither locker kicks in or even lights up on the dash.
Fuel gauge does not work
Unsure about big end bearings not sure if they are original or not. No metal in oil when I did the oil change though.

Purchased:
5x oil filters
3x fuel filters
ACSD delete (back 40 customs)
New coolant hoses (complete kit)
Auxbeam LED- Headlights, turns, brake/tail, reverse bulbs.

Searching for rotors and pads. Are the HDJ80 brakes American spec ?

My JDM 80-series with the 1HD-T has a VIN No. HDJ810017037. I'm guessing HDJ81s have it right in the VIN if it is one.

All HDJ81s I've seen have cloth seats not leather. The VX limited has AC cooler in the console and a heads up altimeter/compass. The VX has a manual transmission and no cooler.

Eurospec models have some significant differences in wiring - particular around the starter/charging/glow plugs/indicators etc

As far as brakes I've always used American spec ones and been fine.

My JDM 80-series with the 1HD-T has a VIN No. HDJ810017037. I'm guessing HDJ81s have it right in the VIN if it is one.

All HDJ81s I've seen have cloth seats not leather. The VX limited has AC cooler in the console and a heads up altimeter/compass. The VX has a manual transmission and no cooler.

Eurospec models have some significant differences in wiring - particular around the starter/charging/glow plugs/indicators etc

As far as brakes I've always used American spec ones and been fine.
Mine is just the VX not the VX Limited. It's also auto. Pretty wild that it has leather and the dash is in MPH. I have been trying to find a FSM for it with no luck, any wiring diagrams would be helpful, because like I stated above the locker switch doesn't engage front or rear (doesnt even blink) and my fuel gauge is stuck on empty with no low fuel light indicator.

sounds like Aussie spec. Someone down under should have what you need.

I have an HDJ81 and buy a lot of parts from partsouq. https://partsouq.com/ You can enter your VIN and it will provide specific parts lists for your vehicle.
I also grab the part numbers from partsouq and search for US based parts. Prices are comparable and shipping is usually faster from Dubai than the US.
The two HDJ80s with mph speedos I am familiar with were from Wales.
Cheers

I have an HDJ81 and buy a lot of parts from partsouq. https://partsouq.com/ You can enter your VIN and it will provide specific parts lists for your vehicle.
I also grab the part numbers from partsouq and search for US based parts. Prices are comparable and shipping is usually faster from Dubai than the US.
The two HDJ80s with mph speedos I am familiar with were from Wales.
Cheers
What an awesome resource. Thank you so much. Found out it is in fact an HDJ80.

A lot of times japanese cars that were grey-market imported to the UK had MPH cluster conversions done. Could have been done in any number of ways, maybe custom/aftermarket, and may not be indicative of the original spec of the car. Just throwing that out there in case “everything makes sense except it has a MPH cluster”

Welcome and nice find.

Have you ensure it is a K294 truck? Or look under and verify the axles have the electronic lockers. If it has all these, then there are several write ups and checking the system.

The FSM should be available in the Resources section for download.

I would go on limb and suggest possibly the cluster and interior were swapped once it arrived in the States, not uncommon.

Clues for it being a UK 80 series:
1) MPH and KMH speedo - this was required for years in the UK as they still used MPH, whilst Europe used KMH.
2) Tailgate should have a fog light mounted on the RHS (Drivers side) built into the tailgate. If it's screwed under the bumper or missing, then it's most likely to be a JDM import. Fog light switch can be seen on the dash, so that implies UK supplied.

The rust looks about right as well...

Oh, and UK specs probably won't line up with any other markets....

Ed
(Brit living in Australia)

Clues for it being a UK 80 series:
1) MPH and KMH speedo - this was required for years in the UK as they still used MPH, whilst Europe used KMH.
2) Tailgate should have a fog light mounted on the RHS (Drivers side) built into the tailgate. If it's screwed under the bumper or missing, then it's most likely to be a JDM import. Fog light switch can be seen on the dash, so that implies UK supplied.

The rust looks about right as well...

Oh, and UK specs probably won't line up with any other markets....

Ed
(Brit living in Australia)
Well with that info then it is most definitely a UK rig. What do you mean by "UK specs wont line up with other markets"

cool.

If the lockers haven't been "exercised" for a long time, just keep coaxing them. Engaging/disengaging them while rolling slowly may wake them up. Before any of this, might be worth checking the wiring to make sure that the motors are getting 12vdc!!

cool.

If the lockers haven't been "exercised" for a long time, just keep coaxing them. Engaging/disengaging them while rolling slowly may wake them up. Before any of this, might be worth checking the wiring to make sure that the motors are getting 12vdc!!
Kinda what I was thinking. I have an 02 Tacoma that has an E-locker I had to do the same s*** to get it functioning again.

Well with that info then it is most definitely a UK rig. What do you mean by "UK specs wont line up with other markets"
By that I mean they didn't always come with everything that a JDM or US equivalent might have. Things like air conditioning might only be aircon rather than climate control, may only have front aircon and no rear, sunroof vs no sunroof. Lockers are an unknown to me, so I can't help with that.

By that I mean they didn't always come with everything that a JDM or US equivalent might have. Things like air conditioning might only be aircon rather than climate control, may only have front aircon and no rear, sunroof vs no sunroof. Lockers are an unknown to me, so I can't help with that.
I guess I got lucky then having all of the above HAHA. Getting insurance was interesting to say the least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom