Builds New Here. Freshly aquired low mileage FZJ81 + Build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey mudders,

Been a lurker for a while as I've been gathering up info for purchasing an LC80. Just arrived at my door yesterday, freshly imported from Japan. It's a low mileage 1992 FJZ81 with 1FZ-FE and only 115k km(71k miles). Pretty stoked about acquiring one, as things just fell into place. I'm currently living in New Zealand and was just looking for a temporary mode of transportation, when this popped up. Plan now is to bring it back with me to North America(back to Canada but I grew up in the US) once the time comes to move back. Always admired the 80 series since i was a teen.

Condition is excellent, exterior had only 2 minor paint knicks/scratches that I saw. Mechanically, great. Compression test was pretty spot on. There was a leak in the front right hub which the dealer fixed. Interior is pretty good, especially for its age, some typical wear and tear stuff. Anything to watch out for being this low mileage and 26 years old?

As delivered it has 285/75r16 Goodyear Wranglers with some wheels that I'm pretty sure I've seen on some other FZJ81's from Japan. Anybody know what wheels these are? Also has springs and poly radius arm bushings that I'd like to find out about if anyone can help? Photos below..

And of course, long list of mods planned!

IMG_20180409_115247_302.jpg
IMG_20180409_115247_303.jpg

Center console cooler :D
PhotoGrid_1523310183285.jpg

Can anyone name these wheels?
PhotoGrid_1523310410208.jpg

Who manufactures red springs? Will have to get wheel to fender gap measurements sometime today, but pretty sure its just a mild lift, if not just a leveling kit. Photos above are a little deceiving since it's parked on a sloped driveway. I'll have a closer look this week to see if there's any part numbers on the springs.
PhotoGrid_1523310379801.jpg

Cheers!

Editing this as my build thread as well.

DONE:
315/75r16 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ P3 tires
4" Tough Dog Lift kit incl adj panhards and extended braided brake lines
Iron Pig Offroad braided caliper lines
EBC Greenstuff pads
Black Mamba weld in drop box(drops 2" and forward 12mm for 3-4" lifts)
Pioneer AVH-4200NEX head-unit
Full Hertz Audio Mille Pro fully active 3-way front stage build. Hertz H8 DSP for tuning and time alignment, 3 Hertz amps powering 6 front speakers and 12" Hertz HX300D sub built into cargo drawer
Adventure Kings Weekender RTT

TO DO:
Regear to 4.58
ARB air-lockers F+R
Armor

Last edited:
Ironman springs and I think those are stock jdm wheels?? Could be wrong on both parts.

Very Nice:cheers:

nice truck, those caster bushings have a serious amount of offset. I'd keep an eye on them especially if you go off road.

Already noted, I was shocked at how much offset there was when I first looked underneath. Aside from binding, excessive wear, and maybe the possibility of the bushing popping out(?), any driveability concerns I should be weary of?

As for springs, Ironman does seem to be yellow. After browsing the compiled suspension thread I was starting to think they were tourflex(only red ones I saw) but when I measured center of hub to fender lip last night it only showed about a 25mm/1" lift front and rear so can't be them as they seem to only offer 2"+ lifts. Quest continues to figure them out as suspension was going to be my first mod. I'll have a closer look at them and the shocks this weekend. Were there any OEM lift options from Toyota Japan maybe?

Already noted, I was shocked at how much offset there was when I first looked underneath. Aside from binding, excessive wear, and maybe the possibility of the bushing popping out(?), any driveability concerns I should be weary of?

Poly bushings in general have shown to damage various mounts on the truck. But those seem to be an extreme to how much caster can be achieved by offsetting the center.

I'd take some center hub to flare measurements and see where you are at before wholesale replacing the suspension unless you want a different height. I'm guessing you are at 2.5"

Poly bushings in general have shown to damage various mounts on the truck. But those seem to be an extreme to how much caster can be achieved by offsetting the center.

I'd take some center hub to flare measurements and see where you are at before wholesale replacing the suspension unless you want a different height. I'm guessing you are at 2.5"

Only at a 1" lift. Center of hub to flare measures at 22". I believe I saw stock measurement was at 21" on here somewhere? I was ideally going to go for a 2-3" lift. I could just go with a 30mm spacer and call it a day. Have only driven the car a couple days now but do like the ride the suspension gives(on road, at least for now). That offset does bother me a bit so may just end up replacing the bushings sooner rather than later.

First weekend with the Land Cruiser decided to head up a few hours to Castle Point for some weekend camping. Already loving this thing!

Just a little reference for myself as I was recording gas mileage, driving 300km with about 50km of city driving, 125km flat highway, and 125km mountain roads, I got about 18.6l/100km, 12.65mpg for you imperial folks. I guess I'll have to see what I can get with less mountain driving.

My friends were out with their Delica Spacewagon that they've been travelling around New Zealand with for the past month as they're about to move back to North America.

Played around with my drone as well and made a little instagram video edit :D

I'll prob use this thread as my build/all things happening with my cruiser thread.

Decided to go ahead and upgrade full suspension and ordered 4" Tough Dog lift kit with adjustable 45mm Shocks. Still undecided on tires but leaning towards Discover STT Pro 315/75r16. Currently on 285/75r16 Duratrac that came with the wagon. Still plenty of tread left so I can offload those and make some money back. Next Saturday the bubbling/purpling tint is getting replaced. Probably with either 50 or 35% tint as I don't like really dark tint(maybe when I was younger).

PSX_20180414_154747.jpg
PSX_20180416_090433.jpg
PSX_20180416_091951.jpg

Recently got a cluster of warning lights go off on my dash. Quickly searching some others have said alternator could be on its way out.

I'll continue to search but wondering if anyone may know what's up. Started yesterday morning when starting the car on a very cold morning. Went away after my lunch time drive then back on last night and hasnt gone away again. Tried resetting ecu to no luck.

Car is actually scheduled to go to the mechanic on Tuesday for some other things, so can bring it up with them if I can't figure out in the meantime
IMG_20180525_124147.jpg

your warning light issues indicates a problem with the alternator. Either a poor connection at the plug on the back of the alternator, or a bad earth connection at alternator, or body, or engine block,

or if you are unlucky, alternator is bad.

so turns out it was the alternator.. I would have liked to do a high output alternator, but wanting to get the car back on the road asap and the time it takes to get things into New Zealand meant I had to put it off for now.

Also got the car back today after said alternator fixed, going from 2"(unknown) to 4" Tough Dog springs and 45mm Adjustable Shocks, SV Adjustable Steering Damper, Front and Rear adjustable panhard rods, Black Mamba Drop Brackets(drops radius arm 2" and forward 11mm), EBC greenstuff pads, full braided lines all around(Tough Dog axle and Iron Pig Caliper lines). Went from 33"(285/75r16) Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac to 35"(315/75r16) Michey Thompson Baja MTZ P3. Also recently did 5% tint in the rear and 35% tint on the front side windows.

In New Zealand unfortunately you have to have anything more than a 5% increase in tire diameter certified for road use, which is why I did everything at once.

Quick pic of the new setup. Will try and snap more pics over the weekend.
PhotoGrid_1527826959936.jpg

If I ever come to New Zealand for vacation can I rent your cruiser? Looks awesome!

If I ever come to New Zealand for vacation can I rent your cruiser? Looks awesome!
There's actually plenty of companies here that rent fully equipped Land Cruiser and Land Rover Defenders with rooftop tents and camping equipment.

Few photos from today...
PhotoGrid_1527894244095.jpg
PhotoGrid_1527894302030.jpg
PSX_20180602_105354.jpg
PSX_20180602_105845.jpg
PSX_20180602_110026.jpg

Bit of an update after installing full audio setup (separate post:High end audio: Front stage SQ build)

80 is currently in with a fabricator here in Wellington(Kaizen Works) to get a hybrid bumper I designed in 3D and its coming along quite well.

My design:
final_bumper.jpg

Progress at the fabricators so far.. Center plate section complete. Designed for a high mount winch location to fit the largest of winches. I'll be picking up a Superwinch EXP 12 in the next few weeks.
kaizen_80BumperProgress.jpg

Functionality its similar to the Trail-Gear bumper where the winch mounts on top of the frame and a bit forward to clear the grill. Aesthetically, I much like the Pelfreybilt hybrid bumpers so I took all design influence from them. From my googling, this may be the first hybrid bumper on an 80 series?

Up to 3 Baja Designs LP9 Lights can be fitted(I have two but been playing with the idea of picking up a third amber one for the center). 2 Squadron wide/driving(fog) lights mount to the side plates in between top and bottom tubes.

I don't know CAD but I work in VFX/Film so know my way around Maya quite well so thats what I used. Fortunately or unfortunately, also being in high end VFX/Film I've developed an eye for aesthetics so designed something that would look like a completely finished product. It's the last 10% you spend 90% of your resources on and I think it can be seen in everything.

Kaizen Works doing an excellent job keeping up to my standards so far! Truly fortunate to be dealing with a shop like them. They've communicated with me every step of the way to make sure they get it right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom