New FJ55 owner (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
PM said introductions are welcome, photos encouraged. Unfortunately photos wont come until later when its delivered, but recently saved an FJ55 from a body shop. Owner is most likely a member here since he has a badass FJ40 as well, but moved out of state and the ol 55 was at a body shop to be fixed and they are - uhhhh... less than efficiently productive? I think thats a nice way to put it. I am very excited to bring the life back to the car, it definitely has a soul and personality about it that I am digging. As the name implies, im usually a 1uz guy - I produce the only functional procharger kit for the UZ series, and will soon finish the R&D for the UR series, ive turbo charged them, supercharged, nitrous, you name it - I currently daily a MS Goldbox NA UZ with COP conversion on speed density. I have an obsession with old toyota stuff, I lost my 1968 Corona Deluxe with a built 20R to a bad snow storm here which prompted the search for 4wd (wifes also got her 2007 FJ which I am personally not a fan of) and I could not stop going back to the FJ55 ad and ended up having to bring it home. I have been already eyeballing the winch bumper setup I see listed on here, and will definitely be needing sources for door reseal kits for windows and stuff. Wifes also got a VW squareback and I know for that we were able to buy full kits for the doors, so hopefully theres something similar for this ol girl too. I do work at toyota, but the Heritage program does the 40, 60, 70 and 80 leavin me out of it.

you buy the Tan one listed on FB Marketplace?

PM said introductions are welcome, photos encouraged. Unfortunately photos wont come until later when its delivered, but recently saved an FJ55 from a body shop. Owner is most likely a member here since he has a badass FJ40 as well, but moved out of state and the ol 55 was at a body shop to be fixed and they are - uhhhh... less than efficiently productive? I think thats a nice way to put it. I am very excited to bring the life back to the car, it definitely has a soul and personality about it that I am digging. As the name implies, im usually a 1uz guy - I produce the only functional procharger kit for the UZ series, and will soon finish the R&D for the UR series, ive turbo charged them, supercharged, nitrous, you name it - I currently daily a MS Goldbox NA UZ with COP conversion on speed density. I have an obsession with old toyota stuff, I lost my 1968 Corona Deluxe with a built 20R to a bad snow storm here which prompted the search for 4wd (wifes also got her 2007 FJ which I am personally not a fan of) and I could not stop going back to the FJ55 ad and ended up having to bring it home. I have been already eyeballing the winch bumper setup I see listed on here, and will definitely be needing sources for door reseal kits for windows and stuff. Wifes also got a VW squareback and I know for that we were able to buy full kits for the doors, so hopefully theres something similar for this ol girl too. I do work at toyota, but the Heritage program does the 40, 60, 70 and 80 leavin me out of it.

Welcome to MUD ….

the 55’s turn to become iconic icon and cement its legacy......

@Blastservices

In my opinion the single finest example details that matter and modern updates that matter even more , without any on the matters that don’t matter at all approach of 1967-8/80 well rounded FJ55 Repair / Restore / Refresh / Update / Upgrade 55 Series all that JIS Jazz ….

Here is build thread link below ….

noteworthy gets noted, it’s a nice
text book reference resource build thread to help inspire you in the right paths ... :wrench: :wrench: :wrench:

1709383244286.png

Last edited:
Well I guess a good newbie question is whats the story with lifting these? I was reading some SPOA threads mentioning to lift you need to swap the axles, histeer kit, and so forth. Will it not just be okay to lift normally? Mine is a lot more rough than the ones im seeing, but im also a professional s***boxer so things like carpet, dents, half working stuff - dont bother me at all.

I currently daily a MS Goldbox NA UZ with COP conversion on speed density.
Forgive my ignorance but what does that mean?

Congratulations on the 55. They are worth all of their quarks.

Well I guess a good newbie question is whats the story with lifting these? I was reading some SPOA threads mentioning to lift you need to swap the axles, histeer kit, and so forth. Will it not just be okay to lift normally? Mine is a lot more rough than the ones im seeing, but im also a professional s***boxer so things like carpet, dents, half working stuff - dont bother me at all.
Yes, you can lift it "normally". years ago I had my leaf springs re-arched, put on some of Mark A.'s shackles and after some sawzall work I could fit 35s on it.
Then I did the SOA, which did involve the front disc brakes conversion, new axle shafts and power steering and stuff. I've had this Pig 38 years or so and have had every size tire from stock to now 37s. Mine is a bit rough with a few dents and rock rash, no carpets and some half working things. Mildly lifted Pigs on 33s or 35s look really good in my opinion.

pig flies.jpg

COP = coil on plug
NA = Naturally aspiring
Not sure if Goldbox is a MS product?
Not sure what speed density is.
what year is your 55?

some 1st time-owner-operator folks of vintage Land Cruiser's get veered off course soon after a important decision like owning something that will grow and evolve into something even better as you get more and more into this unique made in Japan spec. Hobby that takes on a life of its own and becomes a pure obsession of passion and simple good-times with DENSO level Bliss ....

i define
" getting veered off course " in 2 words : " Aftermarket Parts "

a very select few are absolutely the Holy Grail Benchmark way to go , such as your Tech. question above :
whats the story with lifting these?

- - only 1 correct answer : OLD MAN EMU

- the rubber seals and weather strips TOYOTA no longer makes , like a NOS one 49 years old in a foggy old original parts bag that some one found in a pile of old de-commissioned military base motor pool land cruisier parts in a country in the non-usa far-away across the ocean , is a poor choice when you open the parcel and some black bits and sand come out with a age and time- cracks long black skinny thing too ....

so the aftermarket reproduction parts option is your best option because its your only option , your only decisiion there is made in the usa here , or made by
Chairman Mau over there ... 🇨🇳

- the more non-toyota low quality grade aftermarket parts you go at this with that include removal of original intended-reasoning use application factory Toyota parts that are made in japan spec. , the sooner you will be searching for the first thread post again as to why i bring this topic up now ....

- installing any non-toyota parts that involve cutting , drilling , or lopping off metal normally de-values your Teq the moment that metal hits the concrete floor in your shop ...

- the root core fundamental parts like air filters , oil filters , service plugs and gaskets / crush rings / pcv valves , spark plugs , cap rotor wires TOYOTA still makes , if by chance that exact correct production date 1970 FJ55LV wire set is no longer available / disc. ? generally the later or earlier Land Cruiser part # is still good , or the too short of a YAZAKI oem coil wire in the 7pc kit u need , the longer OEM SUMITOMO one is not only longer a tad but way better modern Cold Spec.
SNOW VERSION grade rubber boots on either end , finds you after you try to find it here on MUD ...

- Just some common sense words of wisdom you can always remember well when you recall the WHY-Factor these trucks as old as
: 2024 - 1967 = 57 + years are still here and folks like your self now have its sparky-TEq hanging on your belt clip-ring now among your other brass & chrome too ...

- if the original mechanical , electrical , powertrain and chassis parts can often and do last this long if properly taken care of and the routine seasonal maintenance is adhered to like
clock-work-polex-orange ....

- then the WHY on exactly why you Never go there to places like China-Auto or the AMAZON Counterfeit 00295-00103 FIPG & DENSO Everything Radiator-Caps Jungle will never bite you in the " i had to learn this the hard way at first " #zz ...

- this is well intended
fellow member information from a real world 2024 concrete-facts based point of view ....

lets see some glamor shots of the 1970 FJ55LV here today :):wrench::wrench::wrench:

matt ..

1709473413229.jpeg

1709473876903.jpeg

Last edited:
Pretty simple to lift these a few inches.
A few vendors sell complete kits.
Old man emu is the usual go to.
No need for axle or steering mods....just some 4 degree shims on the front axle when installing the lift.

No need for axle or steering mods....just some 4 degree shims on the front axle when installing the lift.
Pretty sure you have to relocate one of the two rear spring brackets to use the OME kit (I think it uses 70 series springs). I believe Dobinsons makes a kit that doesn't require any modifications.

I personally wouldn't lift a 55 more than 2 or 3 inches.

I bet Alcan could make some real nice springs to spec.
The shop that re-arched my springs added a leaf to the rear, fronts didn't need one. nice thing was just replace the bushings and don't need to move any hangers.
A body lift was just too complicated for me.
I've not always had good luck with "complete kits" for a 55...
i didn't use front shims with just a shackle lift, but I didn't check any angles.
2 to 3 inches is a good height, 33s should fit fine and you keep your fender flares. They can get tippy if too tall.
Course spline birfs and drum brakes will get you around mild trails just fine if you remember their limitations.

C'mon over and see us in the Pig corner: FJ55 Iron Pig Preservation Society - https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/fj55-iron-pig-preservation-society.51/

Pretty sure you have to relocate one of the two rear spring brackets to use the OME kit (I think it uses 70 series springs). I believe Dobinsons makes a kit that doesn't require any modifications.

I personally wouldn't lift a 55 more than 2 or 3 inches.

I bet Alcan could make some real nice springs to spec.
The shop that re-arched my springs added a leaf to the rear, fronts didn't need one. nice thing was just replace the bushings and don't need to move any hangers.
A body lift was just too complicated for me.
I've not always had good luck with "complete kits" for a 55...
i didn't use front shims with just a shackle lift, but I didn't check any angles.
2 to 3 inches is a good height, 33s should fit fine and you keep your fender flares. They can get tippy if too tall.
Course spline birfs and drum brakes will get you around mild trails just fine if you remember their limitations.

OME does have a nice kit for 70 series that people like. It does require relocating the the rear spring mounts. Our friend Kurt @cruiseroutfit has a complete kit for 55s, and I believe they provide some nice guidance as well for Pig owners.

Alcan is a custom leaf spring manufacturer in Grand Junction, Colorado. I have heard some people get great springs, and I think others have had to go back and forth with them. They take lots of factors into account, especially vehicle weight, so how you outfit your Pig will play into it.

some 1st time-owner-operator folks of vintage Land Cruiser's get veered off course soon after a important decision like owning something that will grow and evolve into something even better as you get more and more into this unique made in Japan spec. Hobby that takes on a life of its own and becomes a pure obsession of passion and simple good-times with DENSO level Bliss ....

i define
" getting veered off course " in 2 words : " Aftermarket Parts "

a very select few are absolutely the Holy Grail Benchmark way to go , such as your Tech. question above :
whats the story with lifting these?

- - only 1 correct answer : OLD MAN EMU

- the rubber seals and weather strips TOYOTA no longer makes , like a NOS one 49 years old in a foggy old original parts bag that some one found in a pile of old de-commissioned military base motor pool land cruisier parts in a country in the non-usa far-away across the ocean , is a poor choice when you open the parcel and some black bits and sand come out with a age and time- cracks long black skinny thing too ....

so the aftermarket reproduction parts option is your best option because its your only option , your only decisiion there is made in the usa here , or made by
Chairman Mau over there ... 🇨🇳

- the more non-toyota low quality grade aftermarket parts you go at this with that include removal of original intended-reasoning use application factory Toyota parts that are made in japan spec. , the sooner you will be searching for the first thread post again as to why i bring this topic up now ....

- installing any non-toyota parts that involve cutting , drilling , or lopping off metal normally de-values your Teq the moment that metal hits the concrete floor in your shop ...

- the root core fundamental parts like air filters , oil filters , service plugs and gaskets / crush rings / pcv valves , spark plugs , cap rotor wires TOYOTA still makes , if by chance that exact correct production date 1970 FJ55LV wire set is no longer available / disc. ? generally the later or earlier Land Cruiser part # is still good , or the too short of a YAZAKI oem coil wire in the 7pc kit u need , the longer OEM SUMITOMO one is not only longer a tad but way better modern Cold Spec.
SNOW VERSION grade rubber boots on either end , finds you after you try to find it here on MUD ...

- Just some common sense words of wisdom you can always remember well when you recall the WHY-Factor these trucks as old as
: 2024 - 1967 = 57 + years are still here and folks like your self now have its sparky-TEq hanging on your belt clip-ring now among your other brass & chrome too ...

- if the original mechanical , electrical , powertrain and chassis parts can often and do last this long if properly taken care of and the routine seasonal maintenance is adhered to like
clock-work-polex-orange ....

- then the WHY on exactly why you Never go there to places like China-Auto or the AMAZON Counterfeit 00295-00103 FIPG & DENSO Everything Radiator-Caps Jungle will never bite you in the " i had to learn this the hard way at first " #zz ...

- this is well intended
fellow member information from a real world 2024 concrete-facts based point of view ....

lets see some glamor shots of the 1970 FJ55LV here today :):wrench::wrench::wrench:

matt ..

Matt, I didn't think that I could disagree with you more.
"Aftermarket parts" is bad? There is only one correct answer? Ain't OME aftermarket?
I like having an accurate oil pressure gauge that has numbers on it, I think all engines need one. And a coolant temp gauge that reads in numbers. And a voltmeter instead of an idjit light. And a manifold vacuum gauge with numbers. I kinda like my aftermarket rear bumper with the spare tire mount. and the winch. Are winches bad? I like a radio that gets the FM signal. Are headers bad? Front discs are Toyota but the rears aren't. Toyota doesn't make a locking diff for this axle housing, but I need them. I think a well rebuilt engine is better than a factory new engine. I think my machinist is better than their assembly line.
I like bucket seats better than that bench, does that lower my resell price? I didn't buy it to flip it. I bought it to drive it. I don't need a showroom period correct Pig. there's more than one way to build a Pig. I got your snow version right here.

P.S. I think he spelled it Mao...

SnoPig.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom