Builds 1966 FJ45LV Capri (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally got the new 16" steelies mounted with the Yokohama Geolandars today, and the repro acorn hubcaps mounted. The wheels I painted a smoke gray, which looked great by itself but after mounting the capri blue on the LV really makes them look a bit blue. I think it will grow on me, or at least I'm hoping. I love the size of the Geolandars though and the ride is great!

Enjoying the thread! Nice work. I also have a set of the 16" steelies. Great quality and definitely increase tire options.

Progress looks great. How are you going to repair the Pot metal on the rear latch? JB Weld? Can't really apply heat to it. It will just melt into a pile of goop. More pictures of the rear bumper would be great.

Last edited:
Progress looks great. How are you going to repair the Pot metal on the rear latch? JB Weld? Can't really apply heat to it. It will just melt into a pile of goop. More pictures of the rear bumper would be great.
the tailgate latch we dipped in copper first and then we were able to weld it without melting. Believe me I was nervous but it worked out. We did have one spot where some material was missing so we had to fill with JB, also notice there’s a bracket on the bottom broken off so we will have to cut a small piece of flat stock into that.

Should have more bumper photos soon, it’s at powder coat now.

Got the mud flaps mounted up today. These ones came from eBay some guy in Indonesia I think. They’re not the GIFUs, but they look pretty good I have to say.

9E13F9E1-1ED4-47EF-8BAD-AA3C680A1169.jpeg

165FE290-C4F0-498B-804D-6A1EA3FDA0A6.jpeg

588668B5-0C0A-497A-86D5-29E25DF3C890.jpeg

Small detail but I also painted the hubs, and note the new very light gray wheel color. I ended up wanting something lighter, and powder coated since those hub caps were just taking the spray paint off. Bad picture inside that makes it look more off-white than gray but it looks really good outside.

BF149114-B04B-461F-ADB9-D03CDDABD281.jpeg

DB954BB6-4551-406C-AE9E-6FC54A1CE9B8.jpeg

I need to take a better picture but here’s us working on the hood prop. I still had the little circular mount, and located a 40 series prop but was missing the little J-clip that mounted to the center seam to keep it tucked out of the way. We made one and just riveted it to the seam. The prop that’s actually holding it up in the photo is just a temporary one to keep the hood open while we mounted it, the real one is “parked” on that center seam.

FD590BF8-0342-40B0-B717-08870703FEBA.jpeg

That is a VERY nice rig! It looks like your buddy has a thing for old chevy trucks. I have a good friend building a 58' Chevy coe Duramax long bed.

One strange thing we found while digging into this truck was the data plate was mounted onto the glove box, on the outside underneath the dash. I've never heard of that, but this is the oldest FJ I've owned so maybe they used to do it that way? Anyone know? I assumed it would be on the firewall engine side opposite of the glove box, like my other FJ's.

Bumper and brackets looks good! I will take a set!:)

Anybody have any ideas for replacing the rear hatch knobs? I posted another thread on the topic with photos...

Mine are missing all together. But from what I've seen, they don't even unscrew off. Correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom