Builds 1966 FJ45LV Capri (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

scoobiedubes

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello all, as some of you already know I bought Peterman's 66 LV last week and it's on its way back to Arizona right now. Hopefully I'll have it by this weekend! I've had 3 FJ40's and 2 FJ43's and honestly never thought I'd have a chance to own an LV but absolutely thrilled to find this one - I've got two very small children and I'm excited to be able to have something we can all ride in.

My understanding is this is actually an original Arizona LV, Marc said it was a geology professor's at U of A until he bought it and restored it, so that would make me the 3rd owner I think? I actually got it registered this morning and the DMV confirmed that it was first registered in AZ in december of 1966. This one is a 4 on the floor now, so not quite original drivetrain but having had a 3 on the tree in the past I think the 4sp is a nice upgrade - personal preference though I'm sure.

The truck is in really good shape overall, although having spent the last 8 years near the coast it is showing a bit of surface rust. I'm not sure that I'll do anything about that for now since best as I can tell it's cosmetic only at this point and it's coming back to the desert, but have a few things to go through and a couple I was hoping to get some suggestions on from the community.
  1. Tires - The tires on it are 8 years old, in Arizona I usually try not to let them go beyond 5 so I'm going to put some new ones on. I've always liked the "tall skinny" look tires but have no idea how they ride. Anyone with a troopy or LV put anything like that on, and any suggestions for size / model?
  2. Like a lot of LV's apparently it is missing the rear bumper. I saw a thread that I've bookmarked where buckroseau made a bumper and I thought it looked pretty great, so I'm hoping to find someone that can make me one. If there are any other suggestions / templates that anyone suggests following let me know.
  3. It also has a non-stock front bumper, but the stock bumper looks pretty similar to the 40 front bumpers - if I bought a 40 bumper would it be bolt-on? Or is this another thing I should look into having fabbed?
  4. I've always upgraded my FJ's to electronic ignition and put in a pertronix coil, easy upgrade and it made the biggest difference with the 72 F that I had, but was also considering putting in a double-barrel carb on this one (keeping the original of course for backdating later if desired). Anyone else put in a double-barrel, and was the difference significant?
Really excited about this rig!

IMG_0152.jpg

You got a nice one!

Ha yes it does... I always think "this is the one I'm gonna keep!" then I find something even better but I can't think of a cruiser I'd rather have than an LV. I enjoy the hunt for those hard to find little parts, I'm lucky that this one is 99% complete though. There's really nothing that HAS to be done, but I do think I should probably take care of the tires in the relatively near future.

Yes, welcome to the LV world! Looking forward to more pictures when she arrives.
As far as the bumpers, mine is missing the rear and front had been butchered pretty bad. I had a old 40 front
bumper laying around and it fit perfectly. It would be nice to have someone with the stock rear bumper make a template of the end profile so it essentially could be replicated. Rear bumper brackets would need to be fabricated as well.

Yes, welcome to the LV world! Looking forward to more pictures when she arrives.
As far as the bumpers, mine is missing the rear and front had been butchered pretty bad. I had a old 40 front
bumper laying around and it fit perfectly. It would be nice to have someone with the stock rear bumper make a template of the end profile so it essentially could be replicated. Rear bumper brackets would need to be fabricated as well.
Thanks for the reply and good to know about the front bumper! Not sure if there were any differences year to year with the 40 front bumpers but do you happen to know what year yours came out of?

As for the rear bumper have you read through this thread? It’s a huge build but the rear bumper stuff starts at the bottom of this page
1965 FJ45lv build up/resto thread

I was planning to follow this as a bit of a template but will have to see if someone can get me some better dimensions.

Not sure what year on the front and yes, I have read the entire build thread. It’s an amazing build.

1. Tires - The tires on it are 8 years old, in Arizona I usually try not to let them go beyond 5 so I'm going to put some new ones on. I've always liked the "tall skinny" look tires but have no idea how they ride. Anyone with a troopy or LV put anything like that on, and any suggestions for size / model?

View attachment 1846193

Nice one.... congratulation.
On more sleeping than driving cars/trucks I change the tyres all 9 years.
Yours are 8 buy new ones.
Production date is importend if you buy new ones.
We have end of 2018.
Would buy tyres produced in 2018 not older!
Something to read
https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2016/...s-to-tires-how-old-is-too-old/#comments-block

Tall skinny tires
Recommend 7.50 x16 size for all J4´s.
Ride is ok you must find the best tyre pressure on your own.
Cheers

Last edited:
They are superb rims. Very high quality. Very good powder unlike the OEM Toyota wheels which must be painted or they fade out.

235/85-16 Yokohama MT 2003 is my current favorite skinny followed closely by the 750-16 KM3

I run 33 x 1050s on the 15 x 5.5 rims. Minimal rubbage in the rear. Taller tires allow for better hiway cruising.
Front bumpers are same as 40 series. Not sure on minor differences over the years. Mostly just holes for mounting things like lights or license plates.

Not 100% sure, but don't think you can bolt a 2 barrel on the f135 manifold.

Thanks for all the info everybody - Just finished reading the link to that customer story on the site for those 16's, those sound pretty slick. Pricey for steelies, but after looking on discount tire's site I see you're right - not a lot of options until you upgrade to the 16's so I think I'm going to bite the bullet and order some of those when the truck arrives (supposedly friday!) and take them in when I get the new tires. I've always liked the lighter gray wheels on the 40s but will probably stick with the original early-model black with those wheels.

I'm a little too excited about this truck, Christmas came early this year and it's affecting my sleep!

Well Merry Christmas to you ..... and the family. A beautiful truck youve found for sure. Enjoy it!

Well she arrived safely this afternoon. I'll dig into it all tonight, will certainly lean on "all those who have gone before me" for help with any missing parts but to me that's a big part of the fun with these old land cruisers, tracking down the parts. Never had an LV before though so obviously this one will be infinitely more challenging and I know a lot of the parts will have to be made! It's been converted to a 4 sp on the floor, otherwise mostly stock. It shows the 8 years near the ocean for sure but its all just surface rust, probably won't worry about addressing any of that anytime soon now that it's in the desert. I'll probably just use 40 pull knobs on the dash so I can at least know what to pull :) I will need to get the nostalgic AC working properly before June (belt slips) when it hits 100 here in Phoenix. Otherwise it's pretty close to stock and we will just enjoy it. Definitely needs a tune for the new elevation though, will tackle that next week. New 16" wheels should be here around christmastime so I will hold off on tires until those arrive. Still debating black vs gray, I guess I'll see how it looks with the black first.

Any other LV owners in Phoenix that have any of those parts that could be used as a template for fabrication?
-Rear Bumper & Mounts
-Rear seat "catch" hardware
-Front passenger door catch (doesn't work quite right and I think one of the little nubs is broken off), or maybe I can just use the one from drivers side

IMG_0237.JPG

IMG_0238.JPG

IMG_0239.JPG

IMG_0240.JPG

IMG_0241.JPG

I don't know anything about VW's but there were two of these on-board, driver said that someone paid $120k for the pair of them! There were no floors they looked to be in really rough shape, must be pretty darn rare...

Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 3.53.45 PM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom