My front bumper build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks Kevin! Now send me a tent!:D

Boy that would make one hell of an amazing after market bumper!

that looks nice! how much do you think it weighs? I really like the fact that you cut off the support on the corners to give additional clearance. :cheers:

SICK, SICK,SICK...

Thats the best looking 80 series bumper by far. nice work!

Made a liitle more progress:)
e7a29fd5.jpg

e7a29fd1.jpg

e7a29fc6.jpg

Bad-ass bumper :beer:

Thanks everyone. I don't know what it weighs but I can still pick it up and carry it. Probally around 150-175lbs. I just have to finish the welding and grinding then its off to powdercoat!:beer:

What is going on at the bottom like the skid plate section? Is that open, louvered, or mesh? I can't tell. Do you have fog lights picked out already for the holes below the head lights. Sorry if you already went over this stuff I don't think you have from the 5 other times I checked out this thread. All the grill talk kinda distracts this thread.

BAD-ASS! BAD-ASS! BAD-ASS!!!!
cheers.gif

What is going on at the bottom like the skid plate section? Is that open, louvered, or mesh? I can't tell. Do you have fog lights picked out already for the holes below the head lights. Sorry if you already went over this stuff I don't think you have from the 5 other times I checked out this thread. All the grill talk kinda distracts this thread.

I put 1/4" slots in the lower and bottom for air flow. I'm looking at some Hella lights for those spots. I still have to weld in the tubing.

Rick, you are right. It is a little heavy, but I used .250 on everything. If I do any kind of production bumper, it will be 3/16". With the air ride suspension I'm building, it shouldn't be a problem for my truck. I have heavies on the front now and it didn't sag very much at all so I may be off on my guess. I just like things that don't break.:D

Am I the only one that thinks this is a little too much? I think the ARBs are about half this.

I thought the same thing when he posted the estimated weight! Add a winch in there and you have some serious weight up there. Guess he'll just have to get some super stiff springs.

No springs for me! I'm building air ride suspension and 7100 Billys. I already have all of the components to put it together. And I have designed the mounts for the bags. Just have to find time to do it. It will be after the rear bumper and roof rack so I can set the right ride height. Like I said, I don't know what the bumper weighs but this morning I put 800 lbs of quickcreet in the back and the truck was level:eek:

Rick, you are right.

I almost didn't post because some take it the wrong way and get very upset. It was just an observation.

Not that I know much about bumper design but doesn't a lot of choice depend on the "tensile" of the steel? Maybe that is the wrong term but from my understanding you can source 3/16" steel that is actually better strength wise than some 1/4".

No springs for me! I'm building air ride suspension and 7100 Billys. I already have all of the components to put it together. And I have designed the mounts for the bags. Just have to find time to do it. It will be after the rear bumper and roof rack so I can set the right ride height. Like I said, I don't know what the bumper weighs but this morning I put 800 lbs of quickcreet in the back and the truck was level:eek:

so the airbags are not running inside springs? THey are stand-alone units?

Rick, I thank you for the comments. I like feedback on what I do. It makes me produce better parts whether or not I'm selling them. Yes, 1/4" is overkill. Kinda like hunting Wabbit with a Wazuka.:) If I do a production model, it would be 3/16".

CJ, yes. I'm doing stand-alone air ride suspension. It will work great with the York and I can adjust the height and load capacity at the touch of a switch. More on this later.:beer:

[quote CJ, yes. I'm doing stand-alone air ride suspension. It will work great with the York and I can adjust the height and load capacity at the touch of a switch. More on this later.:beer:[/quote]

I'd like to hear more about your air suspension, I've wondered why this is not one of the suspention options that is looked at for the 80's

One of my good friends is trying to get me to do a air bag setup too. I have to admit, I'm a skeptic. When we were talking it started making alot of sense. I'm researching this as we speak. I need to know if it's possible to have good rebound & compression control using bags. Any Ideas on shocks etc. would be appreciated. I would run all the lines through the frame &..... Sorry. forgot it was a bumper thread. PM me with bracket prices & pics please. -Andy

It is really easy to destroy a vehicle in the process of installing airbags. It's also easy to build a leaky Pain in the rear. The nice installs are usually done by people with a lot of patience & good common sense. I think a kit would be a loaded gun for some people. I saw a the aftermath from a blown airbag on a minitruck at freeway speeds. Luckily nobody was killed. The truck slid on the frame out of control till it stopped. Mass carnage! I think proper bag placement & bump stops is key. We should start a new thread. Sorry guys..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom