My front bumper build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.greatlakeswaterjetinc.com
Heres some pics of the bumper I'm building. All 1/4" plate. Yea, I know its overkill, but thats just the way I do things.:D The winch box have a lid that is not shown. It is hinged and has gas struts and will lock. The 2 slots on the front are for 1" thick clevis mounts. The holes are for lights. I cut 1/4" grilles on the front lower and bottom for cooling. I still have to make the "uprights" for the brush guard. I'm using 1 1/2" DOM for that. It will wrap around the front end. I'm doing a recessed "oval hole" mesh grille in stainless. Everything is getting powdercoated in a "textured" black. I am painting the grille shell black to match. I'll update soon. Shoot away with the comments.:flipoff2:
e7cd43bf.jpg

e7cd43af.jpg

e7cd439b.jpg

e7cd4390.jpg

e7cd4378.jpg

Very nice work!! Look forward to seeing it finished.

sweet!! How much you recon it will weigh without the winch once your done?

I don't know about the weight. I did take it off, carry it in the shop and put it on the bench for welding. Didn't kill me:eek: but it is heavy.

Very nice.

Did you trim the body below the headlights and front body mounts?

Lookin tuff!

Nice work!

Be careful of how close it is to the body, the frame and body move a bunch in relationship to each other.

Lookin tuff!

Kirk, I removed the lower valance and trimmed the fenders to match that. I also cut the inner structure flat across and down to the body mounts. Still have to clean it up and weld in filler panels.

Looks great. I'd make sure you put some drain holes in the box where your winch will be.

I put a 2" hole in the center below the winch.

Lookin tuff!
I just noticed that, seems like a great way to have a nice bumper and tuck it up high for good approach angle... hmm... :grinpimp:
Kirk, I removed the lower valance and trimmed the fenders to match that. I also cut the inner structure flat across and down to the body mounts. Still have to clean it up and weld in filler panels.
Woah, I just went out and looked, you cut off quite a bit :eek:. Any pictures of the truck without the bumper on it but trimmed?

Last edited:
very nice! I might be nic'n your Ideas.
Did you do any templates?

Thanks,

ken

I dig it...when can I get one????

Can't wait to see the final product.
The approach is sic! Would like to see where the a/c s*** is at .?.?

And when can I get one?

:beer:

That is one of the best front bumpers for the 80
Are you planning on making more?
Cheers
Alen

Perfect for an LX450..........

Reminds me of a pair of hi-cut panties.......:grinpimp::lol:

Kidding aside, that is a very nice piece of work......:cheers:

D-

Wow, I keep coming back to this thread. Maybe I've overlooked a bunch of threads on bumpers but this this would appear to be very original (the front cutting) in the 80 section and I forsee it sparking quite a few new custom bumper designs. It's almost pushing me to finally drop the money on a welder. :doh:

Last edited:
Thanks for all the complements. I did draw this in CAD so yes I do have templetes. I cut all of the plates on my waterjet. This bumper required a lot of mods. I have not remounted the a/c parts yet. The frame gets cut at an angle and boxed on the end. There are three 1/2" grade 8 bolts on each frame rail holding this thing on. The body work is a whole seperate issue. I'll try to take some pics of the other mods tomorrow.

Looks good, I esp. like the open front on the tire side. A little boxy with the corners, into the fender lines, but I am all about function over form...plus it will look much more fluid when its painted/powder coated. I really thing its a nice design.

Matthew

Last edited:
Nice work!

Be careful of how close it is to the body, the frame and body move a bunch in relationship to each other.

It does sit a bit tight to the sheet metal......but that is looking SWEEEET!!!:D
I hope that mine turns out half as good as yours!

tONy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom