My front bumper build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok, I will start a new thread on the air suspesion soon. Need to finish this one first.:beer:

I almost didn't post because some take it the wrong way and get very upset. It was just an observation.

Not that I know much about bumper design but doesn't a lot of choice depend on the "tensile" of the steel? Maybe that is the wrong term but from my understanding you can source 3/16" steel that is actually better strength wise than some 1/4".

Rick, that is what we did with our rear bumper and the older style front bumper. We used what is termed as "grade 80" steel. That is more than 2 times the strength of regular hot rolled steel for the thickness. Most people make their bumpers out of material that is about 36k psi for yield strength and grade 80 is 80k psi. The drawback it is more difficult to work with in terms of welding but mostly in the forming stage. The advantage is that you will not easily bend it.

http://ipsco.com/newsite/Products/Plate_Literature/A656_Grade_80_2006-10-30.PDF

I'd like to hear more about your air suspension, I've wondered why this is not one of the suspention options that is looked at for the 80's

It's looked at. I've looked at it, others have looked at it. Just not many have done it for vairous reasons. My reason was cheap 2nd hand J springs that got me wheeling quicker, and need to finish other projects. Someone did actually do a airbag set-up on an 80 some time ago, but I failed at tracking him down.

Now - Back to the bumper -

Great approach at the tires.

plus

Front center is angled so if contacted it will tend to lift the truck.

plus

Good clearance in front of the tires for larger tires or longer radius arms

plus

Solid tow points, high enough that you're not digging under the truck for them, low enough to be a good pull angle to the frame.

plus

Cool light recesses

Plus

addresses cooling that is blocked by big solid bumper

plus

neat tube work that protects without interfering with lights and turn signals

plus

removable winch cover

plus

it's tight to the body without being too tight

plus

it looks intimidating

I think that all adds up to a winner of a bumper!!! Nice work, nice design. My favorite new designs are those that address the functional needs with an eye to asthetics, and you've succeeded in my book.

Now - how about sending me a grill like that with a Lexus emblem in it ;)

The drawback it is more difficult to work with in terms of welding but mostly in the forming stage. The advantage is that you will not easily bend it.

yep, the easier it is to bend INTO shape, the easier it is to bend OUT of shape.

Ok, the bumper is finished and will get a good coat of black Line-X monday. Should look good and be durable. I'll post pics when it is mounted.;)

I'd seriously be interested in one of those grille units.

I am also interested in a Puzzle Bumper in a Box.

DAMN, just learned of this build -- killer bumper, way better designed than my ARB.
Great job!!!!!!

i'd pay alot for this bumper!

great job again man...

Thanks guys! The "Bumper in a Box" is progressing.;)

Wow, you really *do* like to over-build! Most people use carpeting.

I should have said ten 80lb. bags:flipoff2: And no I haven't put the bumper on the scales, but I can still pick it up by myself.

Pimpin' the new Xtreme Liner! Did the bumper, grille trim and grille. I'm not finished with installing the grille. Gonna do rear bumper, roof rack, sliders and some body in this stuff. Oh yea, thanks to Essentially Offroad for the 7100 Billys!:beer:
47b7cf24b3127ccebf10d7e9bce100000026100AcNW7Fq0auGOg

47b7cf24b3127ccebf10d7efbce700000026100AcNW7Fq0auGOg

47b7cf24b3127ccebf10d701bc0900000026100AcNW7Fq0auGOg

Awesome bumper!

Now if you could just make a rear bumper using your xtreme ideas!:cool:

Very, very soon! I'm finished with the CAD files. Just have to find time to make it.:crybaby:

BUmper lines look awesome. I especially like it from the side. I'm not diggin' the liner, but to each their own.

Look forward to seeing your rear bumper.

I still can't get over that approach angle you have. It gives all the benefits of a buggy, with all the sheetmetal of a daily driver.

simply awesome.

The great part about all of the liner I'm doing is its free! Plus its tough. Looks like I'm gonna paint the truck silver this spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom