Builds My 40 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Was only able to find 2-3 hours the last couple of weeks to work on the 40. Spent that time on the wiring. Added and changed a few circuits for the AFI harness, heated seats, volt gauge and also installed a clutch safety switch. Mounted the computer in the glovebox and installed the USB port. Still a few wires that need to be terminated, coil, alternator, A/C compressor and temp sensor for the computer. Installed a 4 terminal plug for the VSS and fuel pump. It will run with the tail light harness. Gas tank looks fairly decent now. Still need to install the fuel pump module and fuel lines. Apparently the manifolds I bought were not mates. They are a good 1/8" off from being straight. Need to find someone to machine the intake and exhaust manifolds. I am pretty sure with a little adapting I can use the stock air cleaner. That is just about the last stuff need for the EFI install.

Have almost all the parts to get the thing running. Need to work on the seat frames then paint and upholster. Currently have new 2 1/2" Rancho springs but looking at some stock Toyota, Atlas or Alcan springs. All of my wheels are basically junk. So I contacted Stockton wheels about some 16X7 with 3.5" bs. Their reply, They run about 185.00 each raw built to order..center hole need to be bore out to 4.25"...shipping estimate 40.00 each..thanks. That is $1125 for a set of 5. More than I will pay. So after searching I found that their stock 16X7 with 4"bs will fit. Now to find a 235/75r16 that is not an E rated tire or get new 15" Toyota wheels and 31X10.50r15's. Need to get some sort of exhaust system made so it can be drivable. The closest place that makes exhaust is about 30 miles away. If I can find 4-5 good days to work on the 40 I think it should be drivable.

Was only able to find 2-3 hours the last couple of weeks to work on the 40. Spent that time on the wiring. Added and changed a few circuits for the AFI harness, heated seats, volt gauge and also installed a clutch safety switch. Mounted the computer in the glovebox and installed the USB port. Still a few wires that need to be terminated, coil, alternator, A/C compressor and temp sensor for the computer. Installed a 4 terminal plug for the VSS and fuel pump. It will run with the tail light harness. Gas tank looks fairly decent now. Still need to install the fuel pump module and fuel lines. Apparently the manifolds I bought were not mates. They are a good 1/8" off from being straight. Need to find someone to machine the intake and exhaust manifolds. I am pretty sure with a little adapting I can use the stock air cleaner. That is just about the last stuff need for the EFI install.

Have almost all the parts to get the thing running. Need to work on the seat frames then paint and upholster. Currently have new 2 1/2" Rancho springs but looking at some stock Toyota, Atlas or Alcan springs. All of my wheels are basically junk. So I contacted Stockton wheels about some 16X7 with 3.5" bs. Their reply, They run about 185.00 each raw built to order..center hole need to be bore out to 4.25"...shipping estimate 40.00 each..thanks. That is $1125 for a set of 5. More than I will pay. So after searching I found that their stock 16X7 with 4"bs will fit. Now to find a 235/75r16 that is not an E rated tire or get new 15" Toyota wheels and 31X10.50r15's. Need to get some sort of exhaust system made so it can be drivable. The closest place that makes exhaust is about 30 miles away. If I can find 4-5 good days to work on the 40 I think it should be drivable.
Check out US wheel's smoothie wheels. They do custom backspacing at no additional charge and you get free shipping through summit racing. They come in raw steel if u do custom backspacing though.

Snapped a pic of the computer and USB. Still have some wiring to finish up inside.

Last edited:
I renamed my build to better represent what is going on. My Project, I get to retire when its finished.

My wife and I have been talking about the 40. In the discussion she asked how long it would take to completely finish it. I said depending on how hard I worked on it probably 2-3 years. After the conversation we both agreed and it was mostly my idea that I will not be retiring until its finished. There is a little more incentive to get it finished now. Really do not know what we are going to take with us when we move to Finland. So if we are taking the 40 with us is still an unknown question.

Mounted the alternator. Needed to add a spacer to get the belts aligned and a bit of grinding on the bracket. Fits pretty well. Then to the battery box. Moved it back so there was clearance for the A/C bracket and compressor. Still need to a little more fabrication before its done. Then I should be able to get the underhood wiring finished. Mounted the air cleaner. It clears the hood but not by much. Really want to use the stock system but it looks like I will need to change downeys adapter for the AFI's low profile one. From reading some other posts there could be a slight interference with the iac, temp sensor and valve cover.

Last edited:
i had the same problem years ago after i bought about 40 fj40s wife thought it was to many so i bought her one a 69 fst from cali and she still has it .we drive it all summer long

Had a few minutes to work on the 40. Installed the radiator and bib. Looks like there will be enough clearance for everything. Now to wire up the alternator and finish the underhood wiring. Fuel tank and lines are next.

Last edited:
Not much time to mess with the 40. Did get an aluminum valve cover cleaned and set on the engine. Need to find the correct grouments for the nuts still. Probably will leave it a natural finish.

Last edited:
I had plans of working all day on my pile of junk but other people decided to visit since I had the day off. So I only spent maybe a hour on it. Mounted the Dakota Digital vss box and the ignition module.

The vss box is on the left inner side of the glovebox. The ign module is mounted on the right outer side of the glovebox. I wanted to be sure it had a good ground so I cut part of the plastic cover and ran a seperate ground wire to the aluminium heat sink plate.

Wrapped the computer in fuzzy trunk carpet stuff. Now to find a place to mount the relays.

Last edited:
Life is complicated. So its time to part this project out.

I found out my junk is not worth hauling off so I guess something needs to be done. Installed the transmission and t-case. Was so easy to do.

Last edited:
Looks like you’re missing something.

Are you finishing or parting it out?

I put it on craigslist for a while. Got a bunch of texts from buyers. All but one was going to send me more money than my asking price so I would hold it. On one I said sure send me the check, gave him an address for Antarctica. Wonder why I have not got a response. I did actually have one guy come and look at it. He complained just about everything. After he got done talking I said with that many problems I could not sell it.

Have bounced around the idea of buying another 40 that runs and put the best parts on one and sell everything that's left over. Have done a little work on it. I installed the trans so the fuel lines can be run and checked the trans hump clearance since I installed a 4 speed. Oil pan need to be removed so I can get to the oil dipstick tube that's broke off and check why the distributor still need to go down about 1/4".

Screenshot_20180901-162027_Gallery.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom