Builds Mudhorn’s build thread - ‘16 GX460 premium (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There is slight rubbing from the tires at full lock. I’m going to see if I can get an alignment again with max caster. My last alignment was done at a Meineke so yeah... hopefully it clears it.

In the mean time I wanted to keep my side steps because I don’t have sliders picked out yet. So I pulled off the slides just like you would if putting sliders on. I trimmed the step metal core about 5-6 inches off the front. This would also give some from for the bottom of the side rail. I believe the step trim on a Prado is shorter. The side rail still was coming in contact with the side step so I cut the front portion off. Either way I would of cut them up for sliders anyhow so no big deal.

4437117A-524A-495D-8136-C33B53AA80C7.jpeg

FC44A76B-6DAC-41C9-B640-1DE6A0CA26A5.jpeg

I've always liked the front quarter fender guards!

Thank you. So do I. I wish it was a little more level however I totally get it that it wasn’t meant to fit but it fits well enough so I’m happy.
There's always the hillbilly way... pound to fit, paint to finish! Just get a big'ol sldege hammer and make it happen! o_O

Just an update on the carrier. I added another set of bolt, bushing, washer and nut to get a another contact point for the hatch bracket. Now the carrier is extremely stable and almost zero wiggle up and done on the tire. I’ve also blacked out the chrome trim with black vinyls. Bonus was having a little extra time and I was able to take the band saw to the old reflector light to fill in the hole. It may not be the prettiest but it works for now

View attachment 2327123

Super disappointed. I loved how this turned out and had planed to do this rear tire carrier on our GX but Rugged Ridge has discontinued the tire swing out and I cant find anyone that still has one in stock. The GX is my wifes daily driver and she says she does not want to open a separate swing out before openign the tailgate. This leaves the JW which is not my favorite......

Super disappointed. I loved how this turned out and had planed to do this rear tire carrier on our GX but Rugged Ridge has discontinued the tire swing out and I cant find anyone that still has one in stock. The GX is my wifes daily driver and she says she does not want to open a separate swing out before openign the tailgate. This leaves the JW which is not my favorite......
the expedition one bumper has a swingout with attachment arm to the door so it moves along with it when you open it. Price is way more than the JW of course

Yeah spending $2500 to carry a spare tire isnt really in the plans currently.
Yeah I know... I'm going to limit myself to 32s so I can use the factory spare location. At least for now...

so I can use the factory spare location

This is why I initially chose 265/70/17’s. Now that I’ve had some driving time with them I’ll keep this size, I like the way they perform so far.

This is why I initially chose 265/70/17’s. Now that I’ve had some driving time with them I’ll keep this size, I like the way they perform so far.
I'm either doing that size or sticking with the factory 18" wheels, haven't decided yet. All else being equal I'd just as soon have 17s.

Beautiful build!!!

1. Those 33s look much larger on your GX. It has me considering 33s again over 34s. Nice wheel choice too.

2. How much overall lift did you gain with the added weight of the bumper and tire carrier? Any idea?

3. That tire carrier! Wow. Best looking option I’ve seen by far. Nicely done and way to dive into a big (and I’m sure scary at first) project.

Just purchased a 2016 GX 460 Premium and can't wait to get started on the mods. My other car is a 2020 Subaru Forester which has gone through a few minor mods, but wanted something that had a bit more crawling ability and could hold the entire family (and my big ol' dog).

Quick question, since you're so far into an amazing build... what is your recommendation for the initial mod schedule now that you've got some hindsight? Again, love the truck, looks awesome! Have had a great time reading through the progress you've made.

Just purchased a 2016 GX 460 Premium and can't wait to get started on the mods. My other car is a 2020 Subaru Forester which has gone through a few minor mods, but wanted something that had a bit more crawling ability and could hold the entire family (and my big ol' dog).

Quick question, since you're so far into an amazing build... what is your recommendation for the initial mod schedule now that you've got some hindsight? Again, love the truck, looks awesome! Have had a great time reading through the progress you've made.
I know this isn't addressed to me, but if this helps any, here goes. :meh:
I've built 3 overlanders so far and I try and do my builds in stages.
  • 1st stage: suspension, wheels and tires. This will get me on the trails.
  • 2nd stage: dual battery and compressor. This will allow for deflating and inflating on trails, giving a little better traction and ride quality.
  • 3rd stage: under carriage armor. More protection for more aggressive trails.
  • 4rd stage: regear along with front and rear diff lockers. Again, either harder trails or the ability of just not getting stuck. Already have the air compressor, just need the lockers!
  • 4th stage: more armor, e.g. bumpers and rock sliders. Lexus' are just too expensive to be buckling body panels. Protection for said mentioned trails above.
  • 5th stage: winch, aux lighting, roof rack and other items of convenience. Just a continuation of the above for greater abilities on trails.
  • 6th stage: roof top tent, recovery gear and anything else you need/want for your outings.
There's my 2 cents worth. Take it as you wish and build as you like! :cheers:

• 2nd stage: dual battery and compressor. This will allow for deflating and inflating on trails, giving a little better traction and ride quality.
  • 4rd stage: regear along with front and rear diff lockers. Again, either harder trails or the ability of just not getting stuck. Already have the air compressor, just need the lockers!
  • 4th stage: more armor, e.g. bumpers and rock sliders. Lexus' are just too expensive to be buckling body panels. Protection for said mentioned trails above.
  • 5th stage: winch, aux lighting, roof rack and other items of convenience. Just a continuation of the above for greater abilities on trails.
  • 6th stage: roof top tent, recovery gear and anything else you need/want for your outings.
r2m, can't thank you enough for all of the great information. With prices and lead times these days, it is a must to have a plan in place as a single part could be months of manufacturing and shipping. Already purchased new tires and looking into the suspension options now. Have a great week.

High jacking this thread but I think for most people, sliders are probably something to do before lockers especially in the gx460 with the low steps. An air compressor (permanent or portable) along with recovery gear (traction boards, recovery shackle / front points / recovery strap) + a battery jump starter and a good first aid kit is step one especially with a family. I am personally still on stock suspension and can do pretty much most trails that don't require 35s with careful tire placement. Just my 2 cents

Reactions: r2m
High jacking this thread but I think for most people, sliders are probably something to do before lockers especially in the gx460 with the low steps. An air compressor (permanent or portable) along with recovery gear (traction boards, recovery shackle / front points / recovery strap) + a battery jump starter and a good first aid kit is step one especially with a family. I am personally still on stock suspension and can do pretty much most trails that don't require 35s with careful tire placement. Just my 2 cents
Yeah, you're probably right, get all the armor done before before gearing and lockers.
For me, I like to have all that gearing done earlier than later, but for most that is a huge cost that should probably be put to armor. It's just that if you do a regear, might as well do lockers too since the diff's need to be taken apart, that alone is not cheap.

Yeah, you're probably right, get all the armor done before before gearing and lockers.
For me, I like to have all that gearing done earlier than later, but for most that is a huge cost that should probably be put to armor. It's just that if you do a regear, might as well do lockers too since the diff's need to be taken apart, that alone is not cheap.
I have helped too many people with no recovery gear or without a jumper pack or cables. People need to start being responsible while being in the middle of nowhere before they spend all their money on some fancy wheels. Excuse my rant... You are right though, if you already got all the diffs open, might as well throw in lockers!!!

Reactions: r2m
Yep, recovery gear is a biggie that so many people overlook. Minimum a person should have is:
  • Usable spare tire or can of tire sealant.
  • At least one recovery strap/cable/rope properly rated for your vehicle.
  • Portable battery charger and/or cables.
But that's nickel and dime stuff (AND that EVERYONE should have in the rig when venturing off road) compared to the expensive bolt-on mod's.

Even a simple thing like making sure your lug nut socket fits your wheels!
Last year a young Navy sailor was out off roading in the local desert and pulled be bead off his rim. He had some after market wheels that the countersink was not large enough to allow a thick walled socket to get to the lug nut.
He needed a thin walled socket and didn't have one. My friends and I didn't have one for his rig either. Had to leave his rig there and drive him into town so he could get some buddies to come out with the correct socket.
Lesson: be sure what you have works for your rig!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom