Builds Mudhorn’s build thread - ‘16 GX460 premium (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They are sold out of the 600lb rear coils and the front prebuilts. What weight did you choose for the front-stock, 0-110, or 110 to 220?

I'm thinking 220, a winch feels like 100 alone :)

The only difference I can see between the stage 1 and 2 is the control arm. Which I think an adjustable SPC is the way to go.

If you are going to run bumpers you will need the Performance 0-110's at a minimum and with a winch up front or a spare and fuel/water cans, maxtrax, etc. out back you'll want the 110-220's. My 9500lb winch with synthetic line weighs 67lbs and the bumper is 134lbs but I removed roughly 60lbs from the factory frontend. That said, I still went to the 110-220 springs up front when I already had the 0-110's installed, but they just weren't enough. There's definitely a difference in the ride quality with the 110-220's when compared to the 0-110's, it's not horrible but it's isn't as nice either and that's one of the best attributes of the FCP's, they ride very nicely. I have some front 110's lying around you can have for cheap should you go that route.

Get an adjustable UCA for sure, Total Chaos, Icon, SPC, JBA, pick your poison.

If you are going to run bumpers you will need the Performance 0-110's at a minimum and with a winch up front or a spare and fuel/water cans, maxtrax, etc. out back you'll want the 110-220's. My 9500lb winch with synthetic line weighs 67lbs and the bumper is 134lbs but I removed roughly 60lbs from the factory frontend. That said, I still went to the 110-220 springs up front when I already had the 0-110's installed, but they just weren't enough. There's definitely a difference in the ride quality with the 110-220's when compared to the 0-110's, it's not horrible but it's isn't as nice either and that's one of the best attributes of the FCP's, they ride very nicely. I have some front 110's lying around you can have for cheap should you go that route.

Get an adjustable UCA for sure, Total Chaos, Icon, SPC, JBA, pick your poison.

What are FCPs? What do you want for the other ones. I'm in Florida, not sure if shipping will be worth it vs where you are. It could be a cheaper start before I get bumpers, the wife would be happy with that.

Update: ah, foam core pros

They are just the front coils so they will only help you if you buy the unassembled FCP front coil overs.

They are sold out of the 600lb rear coils and the front prebuilts. What weight did you choose for the front-stock, 0-110, or 110 to 220?

I'm thinking 220, a winch feels like 100 alone :)

The only difference I can see between the stage 1 and 2 is the control arm. Which I think an adjustable SPC is the way to go.

I recommend giving them a call since they have a 460. I’ve heard they’re really good at making recommendations based on what weight you’re going to put on your rig. I went with their UCA because I like that it used factory ball joints and didn’t need to keep lubing it. I personally have the iron man bumper on and no winch yet and am rocking the performance springs.

Same here, Ironman Premium bumper and a Smittybilt Gen 3 XRC 9500 winch with synthetic line. I can tell you first hand, the Performance 0-110lb springs were not enough for that added weight. This isn't my first rodeo, I've owned over a dozen lifted vehicles in the past 20 years so I can tell when a spring is taxed beyond it's weight rating. That said, by all means try them out for yourself, you might feel differently, but seeing how this is the first time you've had a lifted vehicle you won't have a frame of reference.

Your swing away looks amazing. Do you mind checking how much length that addEd with the tire attached? Im trying figure out how to run my spare and stay parked in the garage.

it’s about 15 inches out from the trim under the rear emblem if that makes sense. Adjustable depending on the offset of the wheel. That’s with my 285s.
A48C41FF-C852-45E6-9DF4-A251E9BBAAA0.jpeg

Wow, that looks even closer than the JW mount. Can you mount anything to the swing side like jerry cans or a highlift?

you can do just about anything with the right fabrication I suppose. As is, it’d be crowded. The tire is off center just to the swingout side. I have it back far enough for me to still be able to use the rear window if needed.

One design I have not ever seen yet on a swing-out is having the wheel mount on the out side of the tire, not between the rear door and tire.
Doing this would allow the tire to sit much closer to the rear door, thus loading more of the tire's weight right over the bumper and more in line with the hinge. This would provide less weight hanging way out the rear, and less dynamic load on the bumper/mount and hinge.
Just a thought for anyone wanting to try such a design.

One design I have not ever seen yet on a swing-out is having the wheel mount on the out side of the tire, not between the rear door and tire.
Doing this would allow the tire to sit much closer to the rear door, thus loading more of the tire's weight right over the bumper and more in line with the hinge. This would provide less weight hanging way out the rear, and less dynamic load on the bumper/mount and hinge.
Just a thought for anyone wanting to try such a design.
I’ve seen that once I think on a 470 on GXOR. The outside brace was somewhat a ladder and it hinges back and down like tire carriers for 4Rs. Pretty cool. I don’t have those fab skills lol.

F7934779-A10D-46EF-9080-FE3273A8AAEA.jpeg
Picked up this Warn EVO 10s winch and will be hopefully installing it this weekend. I picked this because I wanted enough capacity without the added weight of steel cable. I also went with the 10s over the 12k because I was concerned about the tight fit in the bumper. Hopefully it’s an easy install. I’ll post picks and my step by steps as best I can.like many of my other items with this GX, it’s my first winch install. Wish me luck.

Reactions: r2m
Is that also H²O capable? Absolutely agree with synthetic line. I'll never go back to steel cable again. SO MUCH easier to handle AND lighter.
Regarding size, 10k lbs is plenty unless you're planning on dragging your rig up vertical walls.

Is that also H²O capable? Absolutely agree with synthetic line. I'll never go back to steel cable again. SO MUCH easier to handle AND lighter.
Regarding size, 10k lbs is plenty unless you're planning on dragging your rig up vertical walls.
Warn shows that it’s IP-68. I don’t see a breather valve so probably not completely water proof.

So pause on the winch install. I have to get longer 2 gauge wiring in order to put the control box on top of my Ironman bumper. Looking for some 2-3ft pre made wires in stead of shelling out extra money for a warn relocation kit.

Alternative option, mount the control box on the winch itself.

I decided to go with Ironman for my lift kit. I liked that they were beefier than others and for a good price range too. Went with the foam cell pros front and rear.
For this install I needed to do an air bag delete but didn’t want to pay almost $200 for the kit. So I found out that I could use a Jeep upper isolators and the rage one metal tech air bag delete which just had the lower puck isolators. This saved me a few bucks.

Moog K160061
Metal tech air bag delete

I installed the lift once I got it in and built up enough courage to try it on my own. Hardest part was fighting with the sway bar in the front when trying to get it back in. I did try to go through the install like in the Ironman YouTube video without undoing the LCA but ultimately it was way easier to get the new coil overs in from the UCAs.
I did disengage KDSS the way they described in the instructions. No errors with it.
Rears were super easy with just lifting the rig on jack stands and using the jack to lift the opposite side. View attachment 2303838View attachment 2303844

View attachment 2303847

View attachment 2303848

View attachment 2303849
[/QUOTE
I decided to go with Ironman for my lift kit. I liked that they were beefier than others and for a good price range too. Went with the foam cell pros front and rear.
For this install I needed to do an air bag delete but didn’t want to pay almost $200 for the kit. So I found out that I could use a Jeep upper isolators and the rage one metal tech air bag delete which just had the lower puck isolators. This saved me a few bucks.

Moog K160061
Metal tech air bag delete

I installed the lift once I got it in and built up enough courage to try it on my own. Hardest part was fighting with the sway bar in the front when trying to get it back in. I did try to go through the install like in the Ironman YouTube video without undoing the LCA but ultimately it was way easier to get the new coil overs in from the UCAs.
I did disengage KDSS the way they described in the instructions. No errors with it.
Rears were super easy with just lifting the rig on jack stands and using the jack to lift the opposite side. View attachment 2303838View attachment 2303844

View attachment 2303847

View attachment 2303848

View attachment 2303849
Brother, this is looking fantastic. Gives me the courage to start my 2013 Premium build. How did you handle the Airbag delete when it came to the height / leveling sensors and their connection to the headlight controls? Also, did you have any warning lights to address, and if so, how did you address them? I got worried seeing this as an unsolved problem (as of now) in some other GX Premium build threads when the sensors were kicking of the compressor even though the bags were gone. Also, did you have the adjustable suspension feature (I think all premiums do) where you could select comfort vs. sport suspension? If so, did the lift go problem free (e.g., warning lights), or did you have to make some other mods? Were you able to remove the switches in the cab for both adjustable suspension and height control without problem? Also, are you planning any gearing changes? If so, to what? I agree on the Ironman From Cells. I think I'm heading in that direction. Do you like them so far? What size springs did you go with?

So pause on the winch install. I have to get longer 2 gauge wiring in order to put the control box on top of my Ironman bumper. Looking for some 2-3ft pre made wires in stead of shelling out extra money for a warn relocation kit.
Just use Amazon for your heavy gauge wire. I purchased 30 feet 1/0 gauge (red & black) to run from my aux battery to the 3000 watt inverter in the back of my rig.
Here's 5', both black and red 2 gauge wire for $28.93 AND it's Amazon prime (if you're a member) which means free next day or so shipping!
Amazon product ASIN B017GB470O

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom