Builds Marshmallow's build thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I couldn't find a pic of the sidewall cracks. Believe it or not this Crack didn't leak but you get the idea.

VZM.IMG_20160708_151414.jpg

Holy Hand Grenades. That is a bomb waiting to explode.

OK, so day 5 we decided to return to Outer Limits and finish it. The first 2/3 of the trail is difficult obstacles, but loose (very sandy - lots of holes, etc). Last time was 5 or 6 hours to get to the "hard" final section, this time was about 1.5 hours.

This trail was still hard, though, and took us 4 hours to finish after we got to the final section.

"Easy" section:
4MuuW42.jpg

pPc501s.jpg

J8AIHvP.jpg

And then you get into this:
gzBbYOU.jpg

FsdK41s.jpg

And you get stuck in stuff like that - both driver side tires need to rise, but the body is about 2" away from that immovable monument of a rock on the passenger side. So you sort of have to decide what you want to do - stack a ton of rocks to get up, or attempt to try a psuedo front-dig and slide the front end over, or some combination? In this case, I stacked behind the rear tire since the sway bar and regular coils drive a lot of the body location. Ended up spitting out some rocks but barely clearing the turn.

No good other pics of the cruiser getting through the last part, but it was gigantic boulder after gigantic boulder with a lot of differential stabbies hiding out.

Honestly, not my favorite trail. I think either you go there and commit to dealing with the time it'll take to get through it, or have a buggy, or something. I wouldn't run it again at this point, but it's a solid right of passage.

Day 6 - we needed a break. So we took a road trip up to Big Bear and ran the John Bull trail. Supposedly one of the hardest trails in Big Bear. Definitely a fun trail. Good length, nice scenery, good obstacles. It was significantly easier than the trails we had been running, but a blast still. Since we knew we were overbuilt for it, we instead decided to make it a challenge by turning it into a speed run. We ran from east to west in almost exactly 1 hour. I spent 5 minutes and had to get out once after I dug gigantic holes (sorry to whoever runs it next) while hung up on the rear diff, but otherwise we just blasted through it.

3e6k0Ci.jpg

No other real pics, only gopro footage somewhere on my laptop. We then went to some fancy restaurant in Big Bear and had a candlelight dinner. uhhh

Alright, back to it. So day 7 involved running a new trail - Orange Hammer! Someone put up a sign on this virgin trail. I created this sweet .kml file (attached) so those of you inclined to check it out can follow along.

Clearly in homage to the Harbor Freight deadblow hammer, this was an easy-moderate trail, fairly short, and contained a loop so you can drop your spare tire and other weight (looking at you, @SmokingRocks) and cruise around. Some mild waterfalls up and some mild waterfalls down, a few tight squeezes, and some tippy obstacles, but probably passable by anyone in a mildly built cruiser. Great views of the valley floor.

dNM3W10.jpg

IbgVESR.jpg

Q9lB40d.jpg

bmGqLjG.jpg

BixTxvX.jpg

8AIin9w.jpg

DXOENq6.jpg

xogK5Ud.jpg

Attachments

• Orange Hammer.kml
    8.3 KB · Views: 168
The astute reader may notice my sleeved tie rod. I bent it (1.5" 0.25 wall DOM) pretty quickly on sunbonnet, then sleeved it with sch 40 pipe, then slightly bent it again, and then... day 8

Day 8 was sledgehammer. Last day, so we picked an "easy" trail. Right now, at least from what I experienced, Sledge was in *rough* condition. Boulders everywhere without much stacking from previous attendees, so it was gnarly. The big 4 obstacles were about the same (the first waterfall with the diff stabby, the plaque waterfall, the stupid pinchy rocks, then the last waterfall) and we motored over the first 2 without issue. But on the 3rd, I just hammered down and got through it, but not without nearly fatally bending my tie rod (and hydro assist, and "1-ton" TRE) in the process. Lame.

0ydXLSf.jpg

JgfoS4o.jpg

7wfL7Z9.jpg

2iMWGKP.jpg

UW7TlwS.jpg

So, with the toe-in substantially increased, I rotated the tie rod out of the way of the axle so I could at least resume steering, and proceeded to finish the trail in limp mode. Driving back to the lakebed was an experience - the front end was just plowing everything out of the way and the hydro "assist" was just binding since the rod was so bent, acting like an overly ambitious steering stabilizer (read: steering immobilizer).

Fortunately, before getting on the rod, I was able to swap the bent TRE out for a fresh one, pull them out a substantial amount to set toe to something tolerable, and remove and cap the hydro assist lines to allow the truck to drive with only the regular ol' steering box.

Sort of an expensive day, but it still felt good to power through a gnarly version of Sledge and avoid winching the two big waterfalls. Finishing with a handicap was sort of an accomplishment too, I guess?

Of note, btw - my 2" 0.25 wall links are scraped but not bent. I'm not quite sure that lower links take the same sort of abuse as a tie rod now.

That's impressive! What caused the tierod to buckle, was it an initial impact?

You think 2.25" x 0.375" wall links would hold up long term? That's what the 4WU kit came with for the lowers.

That's impressive! What caused the tierod to buckle, was it an initial impact?

You think 2.25" x 0.375" wall links would hold up long term? That's what the 4WU kit came with for the lowers.
Yeah, but I also think the quality of steel makes a big difference. Not all DOM is created equal, either. But I think when you hit the tie rod, you're potentially plowing it against a rock with the full weight of the rig without any sort of forgiveness. No suspension to absorb the hit, etc. When you hit the links, you're usually glancing against them but also hitting them in a way where the weight of the vehicle isn't coming down as an accelerated impact.

Fun reading but I can’t see a photo beyond post 121. What gives?

What a trip! All the photos are loading fine for me, fyi.

I bent my 1.5 .250 dom tie rod in a hurry

I've since gone to a 2" .250 dom and moved it up as high as I could. I still wonder if I dont still need some sort of tube gaurd though...

As far as 2.25 .375 dom lowers, I'd be amazed if you ever bend them

I bent my 1.5 .250 dom tie rod in a hurry

I've since gone to a 2" .250 dom and moved it up as high as I could. I still wonder if I dont still need some sort of tube gaurd though...

As far as 2.25 .375 dom lowers, I'd be amazed if you ever bend them
Part of me just thinks they should be considered disposable parts. I am not certain I have a lot of room to move it up anyway. I just need something rigid enough to protect my hydro assist ram (though i will carry a spare ram now).

At least you can get a higher flow pump. Stupid 1fz gear driven job

I just added a/c to Foo, and the higher idle speed when A/C is on has made my power steering pump supply the ram with much more acceptable power. I used to have to put it in neutral and bump the accelerator to make some turns, so this has been nice change.

Having said that, a few weeks back, we were night wheeling and in a crazy trail, the steepest sustained downhill I have ever been on. @FZJ80 in KC @kc_chevota . Ran out of gas about 80% down the slope and had no power steering or brakes. Could not believe how much effort it took to steer! I am no shape for that!

Great Build & read your my Hero

I just added a/c to Foo, and the higher idle speed when A/C is on has made my power steering pump supply the ram with much more acceptable power. I used to have to put it in neutral and bump the accelerator to make some turns, so this has been nice change.

Having said that, a few weeks back, we were night wheeling and in a crazy trail, the steepest sustained downhill I have ever been on. @FZJ80 in KC @kc_chevota . Ran out of gas about 80% down the slope and had no power steering or brakes. Could not believe how much effort it took to steer! I am no shape for that!
No power steering pump when you have hydro assist is rough

So this is probably not safe
Q3yf6Uz.jpg
Man! That's a lot of rubbers! I usually only keep a box in the nightstand but you sir are prepared.

Wait, so thats not you in the avatar?......great build and pics!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom