Builds Marshmallow's build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah Billy Bob is pretty decent, short but fun. Contrary to my profile I'm actually very close to there. Theres a few around here I've run but a lot I haven't.
That or twister. Now i cant remember which I ran. Also youre near summit racing which is pretty cool.

OK, time for some progress pics, kiddos. My old spare tire holder from 4x4labs held a 6x5.5 bolt pattern. That obviously isn't going to work so I hacked that thing off and welded on a new universal plate. I then welded on a piece of DOM so I can heave the pitbull up there like an absolute boss and finesse it onto the studs at my leisure. Unfortunately as most of you would guess, it wiggles pretty bad since the whole assembly is I think way too heavy for this style of mount. I need to think of some better way to attach it at another point (ideally up top). One thought is just to bind it against something, like have a tubular doo-dad coming out of the roof so that it's preloaded or something. I don't really know what I'll do but at least I can carry it around with me.
kdMsbpu.jpg

Then, I've always sort of wanted a transmission and engine skid plate. You know, just in case. I really should create something for my fuel tank as well since it's taken a couple of hits. Anyway, I used one of the old brackets for the sway bar on the driver side and welded a doodle to it. It's not bomb proof obviously but I can't deflect it from under the rig and it really needs to just save the engine/transmission, not permit ultra4. Yet.
t64rF6N.jpg

BFOkHKe.jpg

That spare tire is hilarious.

Good for you for lifting it up there. I think I would pack less and put that heavy SOB on the floor of the cargo area. But I'm lazy and I don't like swing outs.

That spare tire is hilarious.

Good for you for lifting it up there. I think I would pack less and put that heavy SOB on the floor of the cargo area. But I'm lazy and I don't like swing outs.
Yeah I am considering that again. I dont enjoy offgassing tire smell and it takes up a lot of room but is probably the direction I will be going ultimately.

When I went to a 40 on my 4runner I just stopped carrying a spare. I carry lots of plugs, some metal wire and a strong fish hook to suture up a sidewall if necessary. I also trailer it most places so I only have to make it off the trail.

When I went to a 40 on my 4runner I just stopped carrying a spare. I carry lots of plugs, some metal wire and a strong fish hook to suture up a sidewall if necessary. I also trailer it most places so I only have to make it off the trail.
Well, yeah, a spare 40 would probably cause a 4runner to wheelie :)

Somebody should build a gizmo to hoist spares onto the roof rack. Every time I rotate my tires it is a huge pain getting mine down and back up again, and I'm only running 33's. Can't imagine it with big tires.

Thing is, the roof mount keeps the spare out of the way really well and unless you go into parking garages or low overhead drive-throughs, it is almost completely painless to haul it around. Just a real PITA to lift it up there...:meh:

Somebody should build a gizmo to hoist spares onto the roof rack. Every time I rotate my tires it is a huge pain getting mine down and back up again, and I'm only running 33's. Can't imagine it with big tires.

Thing is, the roof mount keeps the spare out of the way really well and unless you go into parking garages or low overhead drive-throughs, it is almost completely painless to haul it around. Just a real PITA to lift it up there...:meh:
No - i would not want 160 lbs up that high and I already need a suckdown winch to get in the garage

Last edited:
OK so the first thing you should do after a mild test run is to take a week and go to the hammers. #genius

Driving down there was the sketchiest part - paranoia about pinion bearings melting was strong but eventually faded into a lack of concern. And then that faded into a neat drivetrain whine that stuck with me the entire trip. Still not sure what's going on there but I think it's the sloppy CV on the rear driveshaft - once the grease was evicted from heat + centrifugal force, it started weeble wobbling a bit or something. Who knows. I'm going to take it off and send it back to the guy that built it.

Anyway, we started on a Saturday afternoon on one of the easier trails, Clawhammer. It was fun to plow through with impunity. The pitbull rockers were a significant improvement over the km2s, which I thought were a pretty decent tire. They are wearing a bit faster and are horrible sounding on the freeway but they work great on the rocks. I wasn't terribly impressed with them in sand but everything else they did very well with.

q0MwSuq.jpg

lsh7ush.jpg

yrlG7yR.jpg

Here's a video of me taking a bad line and just making it work with sheer determination:

And then we ran Boulderdash (up) which took all of 15 minutes from start to finish. Of note, this trail (coming down) was the place where I taco'd my old drag link.

The next day we decided to run Sunbonnet. For those of you who don't know, Sunbonnet Pass is really divided into two parts - the hells gate / devils slide part "A" and then the main trail. We ran both since it's a bit of a hike to get out there. My front end was working great in the desert but the rear shocks aren't doing enough so I need to revalve them.

Anyway - Sunbonnet is typically about "Sledgehammer" in difficulty but much longer. Also, more on that relative ranking later. We figured it would be a good warm-up. It was a lot of fun but does require you to be on your toes with an 80.
wAZRxNr.jpg

djcLkJq.jpg

6gg7fJW.jpg

uyBmVtu.jpg

GtdVLy9.jpg

I did suffer my worst body damage on this trail - the turns are sharp and the boulders large. @NLXTACY - I don't think your quarter panel mount will fit me any more.
tetmMYS.jpg

Since Sunbonnet went so well, it was time to hit up Jackhammer. If you're starting the thread here, Jackhammer is about the hardest hammers trail I had run so far (not counting Outer Limits which I didn't actually finish). So it was a good way to kick it up yet another notch.

One awesome part about Jackhammer is the views during the late afternoon / sunset time, which is when we ran it. I can't get over how incredible the desert looks from up high. The trail was great as always and, unlike last time, no winching was needed.

7auqNJH.jpg

diPlQYQ.jpg

aXrtY44.jpg

4oWdRLG.jpg

bzlTWpl.jpg

iHwNBzf.jpg

Last edited:
OK, well, Jackhammer was pretty straightforward, so the next day we picked a new trail - Wrecking Ball. Wrecking ball is known for its famous waterfall at the end, which is about an 8' climb that tries to tilt you into a pinchy position. Half of Wrecking Ball is also the entrance to Bender Alley, which we didn't bother with (but the lower part looks passable TBH).

Wrecking Ball was a fun trail - harder than Jackhammer but mostly due to the obstacle sizes, not the steepness. It was all doable but you need to be prepared to go *on* the obstacles. A good attitude towards body damage helps.

nrjPIVe.jpg

jF6n5tf.jpg

o5rKGFR.jpg

OK, so here's the waterfall. My hood is about 5' tall (give or take, not really sure). If you're in your standard residential home, just look from floor to ceiling and imagine that being a rock face you need to climb up. I tried it and slid just enough to the side to get pinched on my rear taillight (RIP, lil buddy) and had no option but to winch forward and out. This was the only time I had to use my winch this trip but I had no regrets.

T0AUPii.jpg

qwD6Dhx.jpg

8P8rvhV.jpg

hZHWQng.jpg

My front door wouldn't open so I had to crawl out, Dukes of Hazzard style, and then use the pry bar to bend the sheet metal into a position that permitted ingress/egress.

i loved my rockers.. they weren't near as big as yours but 2 of them developed sidewall cracks and wouldn't hold air after a little over a year or so.. the only thing i think i did was run them too low pressure on the road.. i ran my kuhmos about 35 psi so they weren't too hard on the road and so i did the same with the rockers... if i ever get brave enough to buy them again i'm gonna run 50 or more on the road in them because i was sick about it for a while, couldn't believe they didn't last 2 years.. keep them rock hard on the road

i loved my rockers.. they weren't near as big as yours but 2 of them developed sidewall cracks and wouldn't hold air after a little over a year or so.. the only thing i think i did was run them too low pressure on the road.. i ran my kuhmos about 35 psi so they weren't too hard on the road and so i did the same with the rockers... if i ever get brave enough to buy them again i'm gonna run 50 or more on the road in them because i was sick about it for a while, couldn't believe they didn't last 2 years.. keep them rock hard on the road
Hmm. I just drove about a thousand miles on road with them around 23 psi. I will bear that in mind.

Yup, this confirms I will only go to Johnson Valley as a spectator for KOH.
Just drive carefully! The hammers are awesome and you have to admit the Rubicon is becoming a bit of just a camping trip for you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom