Mable, third time's the charm (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Check your rain gutters. They may need to be resealed. The top corner of the windshield seal is a high risk for leaks as well.

Is there a way to check the windshield seal? I'll look into the gutter seals this weekend.

Not really. It's a process of elimination. Check and double check your rain gutters. If you are 100 percent sure they are okay then it has to be the windshield seal...well...unless you have a sunroof, holes drilled in the roof (factory type roof rack) or something like that. Otherwise there aren't many other places the leak could originate. I vote gutters. Failure of the gutter sealant is super common in these trucks. From what I have seen, Jamie's fix above is the recommended solution. He did it right. Just slathering more sealant over the failing sealant won't last long. You gotta take it all out and start over.

I had an issue with a wet driver's side floor board last winter. I never saw where the water was coming in. I just assumed it was my gutters and prepared for the worst. The damp carpet created mildew on my upholstery and pretty much everywhere. What a pain it was cleaning all that! After a little investigation I determined that my problem was only a missing firewall grommet. Water was running down between the hood and firewall, dripping on a cable and following the cable through the firewall and dripping on the floor under the dash. Sometimes you get lucky...if you can call that lucky.

Is there a way to check the windshield seal? I'll look into the gutter seals this weekend.
have someone pour eater over it with a hose as you sit inside and look at the ws or drive it through a high pressure car wash

have someone pour eater over it with a hose as you sit inside and look at the ws or drive it through a high pressure car wash

Makes sense.

Are replacement seals available? Or is there some sort of caulk that goes under the seal that deteriorates with age?

Not sure if OEM seals are still available but since OEM glass is I would imagine the seals are also.

After market seals are available.

Seems like @Brock was able to find an OEM seal for Copperhead. Maybe he will chime in. Still, I'd put money on gutters being your problem.

Does Advanced Auto have 3M seam sealer? Looks dry this weekend, so going to attempt to tackle that if it's the issue.

I remember reading this - I think:

Rain gutter sealing solutions???

Also - I think I applied some primer before i sealed . . . trying to remember if I posted up the whole thing on here - horrible at finding my own old posts :(

Poured 2 gallons of water in the gutters with a bottle and then set up the hose to slowly release water for 25 minutes. Dry.

I'm assuming process of elimination means it's my windshield seal?

IMG_20160903_104108.jpg

15 min spraying the corner if the windshield leads to nothing. Guess I'm fixing both issues even if they aren't causing it.

@CharlestonG8R - I don't think the door seal would cause this leak, the fabric behind the grab bar was wet (see picture). Maybe I'm wrong but don't think water could come up and around the door and then soak through the fabric at that location

IMG_20160903_114628.jpg

IMG_20160903_123457.jpg

I'll be curious what you find out. I'm having the same issue during major rains. I just assumed it was the windshield seal because the gutters look fine. My windshield is chipped and cracked so I need to replace it anyway.

Congratulations.... man that one looks nice.

Can anyone check out this Carfax? @GLTHFJ60 @NCFJ @roadstr6 @jfz80 anyone else? Seems off....

Total loss vehicle but a clean title. Odd titling/registration timing:

2/2/08 - CA title issued
1/25/10 - CA registration updated in Utah
6/8/10 - CA registration updated in CA
9/20/10 - vehicle purchase reported in Utah
11/10/10 - CA title issued in Utah
11/7/11 - NC title issued to new owner
4/25/12 - duplicated title issued in NC
10/1/12 - registration issued/renewed in Utah
11/24/12 - registration issued/renewed in NC
12/26/13 - total loss in Virginia
5/5/14 - registration issued/renewed in NC
4/28/15 - registration issued/renewed in NY
6/12/15 - title issued in NY
11/14/16 - title issues in Iowa

That just seems so odd. Why is it bouncing around so much? Is this the real vehicle that was damaged in Virginia?

CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 1990 TOYOTA LANDCRUISER GX_ JT3FJ62G9L1121035.pdf

Could be any reason it was reported as a loss. It is also possible that the incorrect vin was reported as well. I would run an autocheck and compare the 2 reports Carfax is usually more reliable but sometimes its best to run both reports to see what the major discrepancies are. It is odd that the registration jumps around so much on this an all over the country.

@alk747triodad ran a Autocheck for me and shows the exact same information. Registration jumping around and accident in Virginia.

Will reach out and see if I can get any more info from the owner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom