Builds CharlestonG8R's Slow Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlestonG8R

Hey y'all!
SILVER Star
Threads
Hello all! I picked up my 1995 FZJ80 back in early 2005. It was a great truck, but I took a job in SoCal and left it behind in Florida with my dad. He took meticulous care of it and made quite a few Cross-Country road trips in it. About 3 years ago I moved to Charleston, SC and dad relinquished (with many tears) my beloved 80 series a couple months ago.

I took it to LexTech and they went through it with a fine tooth comb. Knuckles and head gasket have already been replaced. It has a minor leak from the engine, and obviously burns a bit of oil (280K miles), but it's in good shape and ready for a few upgrades.

The front driver's seat refused to go back and forth, but the Gamiviti gear and cap fixed that issue. Also, the front driver's window motor died, so I swapped in a new motor and regulator (generic with a 1 year warranty... I have a feeling I'll have to do that job again).

I've been debating suspension and tire sizes... My friend Phil, who is currently in the market for an 80 Series, and I debate the merits of larger vs. smaller tires for off-roading in Carolina and Georgia. Being not sold on a path forward, I decided to pull the BFG 33's off my F350 and put them on the LC (yet to be named). My wife was actually pushing for larger tires on the truck, so it worked out... Anyhow, will mount the tires and new rims tomorrow. By the way, Josh Vanderford of AJIK was awesome in getting me some OEM powder coated wheels! I highly recommend his services for what it's worth.

I have some White Knuckle Off-Road Sliders being fabricated - they should be here in another week or so. I plan to install them prior to hitting the Uwharrie Trail with the Swamp Fox Land Cruiser group here in Charleston.

Soooo... I'm looking to do the standard stuff. Tires, suspension, stereo, roof rack... I'm debating between a HAM and CB radio. While I would like the capabilities of a HAM, I have no idea where I would mount it. A CB is smaller and would fit in a single DIN... Still thinking on that.

Here is the Cruiser in all her glory:

IMG_1674.jpg

IMG_1675.jpg

Last edited:
Installed the Kenwood Excelon Receiver and Panasonic speakers today. Crutchfield indicates that the 6.5" Pioneers fit the back… With minor mods, they'll fit the front, but they're a far cry from being drop in replacements for the back. At least if you want to keep the OEM speaker grills.

Picked up the cupholders from EdwardDuran, they're pretty cool! Can't latch the center console, so I'm not sure if I'll keep the side holder, but the rear holder is nice. They're much more useful than the factory cupholder that can be ordered for the dash… It's just too dang small to be useful.

Installed the powder coated rims and BFG 33's. Still need to give it a lift, though. WKOR sliders should be here next week.

LandCruiser.jpg

looking sweet man, Will be sure to keep a lookout for ya

Nice truck. Keep us posted on when you guys are making the uwharri trip. Sounds fun.

Thanks, Punisher! I'll be heading up with the Swamp Fox Land Cruiser group on the afternoon of December 6th and coming back on the 8th. We're planning to meet up with the North Carolina Cruisers (not sure of their group name?) for a pretty decent sized group ride. If you can get the time off, you should come up!

Got the new WKOR sliders on.

image-369073060.jpg

I installed the YodaTeq mount and CB antenna today.

image-2826403358.jpg

image-2931164362.jpg

I put in a Cobra CB, Gamiviti holder, CDL switch, and hand throttle (for the winch I don't yet own). I tried to do the Pin 9 mod, but the screws were stripped by the PO...

image-1584262683.jpg

image-1664875028.jpg

Edward Duran makes a really cool rear cup holder.

image-912033910.jpg

Wheeled the truck at URE... Broke a couple exhaust mounts, broke the resonator, and ripped off the tailpipe. I didn't like them anyway! I can't take the rattling, so I'm having A flowmaster installed (it's smaller) and hopefully they'll raise the exhaust a bit.

image-2652122237.jpg

Wheeled the truck at URE... Broke a couple exhaust mounts, broke the resonator, and ripped off the tailpipe. I didn't like them anyway! I can't take the rattling, so I'm having A flowmaster installed (it's smaller) and hopefully they'll raise the exhaust a bit.

So, after 2 days of driving around with a 40 Series FlowMaster, I had the muffler shop swap it out for a MagnaFlow + GlassPack (resonator). The FlowMaster provided a noticeable power gain, but the noise was stupid loud and literally sounded like a small ricer Honda. I could not take it. The MagnaFlow and GlassPack combo sound only slightly louder than stock and provide better performance. I was hesitant to put the resonator back on because it will probably get damaged on the trail again, but since this is my DD, I'll just replace it again if needed.

did you take any vid to ear the sound with the flowmaster ..?

No, but I'm not sure how well it would have come out... When you hit around 2000 RPM (Give or take 200) it gives off that distinct "fart can" noise that you hear from modified Japanese imports. Think about the Honda Civics from Fast and Furious - I didn't think this engine was capable of such a sound, but it is. I couldn't live with that exhaust.

No, but I'm not sure how well it would have come out... When you hit around 2000 RPM (Give or take 200) it gives off that distinct "fart can" noise that you hear from modified Japanese imports. Think about the Honda Civics from Fast and Furious - I didn't think this engine was capable of such a sound, but it is. I couldn't live with that exhaust.

I hated every minute of the Flowmaster on my 40 :mad: - good thing it's long gone

Penelope Cruzer was in need of a paint job... Got that squared away. No more surface rust, rust bubbles, or dents! Time to go out and create new dents and damage.

image-448374117.jpg

image-3495649290.jpg

Added an OEM bar for the wife. Broke the passenger side AC vent in the process, but she will appreciate the extra handle. Also put in some SOR Tuff Duck front covers.

image-193032847.jpg

image-2835485054.jpg

So, a friend of mine owns a welding company and I asked him to make me a roof rack with a drop down side (for a rooftop tent and easy loading). I should have specified that I wanted it on the passenger side, but it's turning out very nice! Still have a few things to work out on it, like the wind deflector and mounting points... But should have it back by next week.

rack1st.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom