looking for unoptanium cast iron pan.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

^^ I do love cast iron more than most, but aluminum has much higher thermal conductivity than cast iron, so, everything else the same, the aluminum pan will have much more uniform temperature than the cast iron one.

^^ I do love cast iron more than most, but aluminum has much higher thermal conductivity than cast iron, so, everything else the same, the aluminum pan will have much more uniform temperature than the cast iron one.
We use the Nordic ware aluminum coated griddles camping. At home on the grill it's cast iron all the way.

Well. I have found THE solution to your problem. This is not a square pan. It has a handle. BUT it can be ‘clocked’ in storage so the handle isn’t in the way. It is by far the coolest most expensive fry pan I’ve ever seen. And I have a set of Lifetime Pots at home.
So just run down to Bass Pro Shop and pick one up. LOL. Oh, and it’s a mere $199.00 Hey everyone wants
Made in USA
HaHa!
IMG_8843.jpeg
IMG_8844.jpeg

I think you're looking for a Japanese egg (tamagoyaki means omelette) pan. Not sure about available sizes but I'm sure you can find that for yourself. Here's an example.

Amazon product ASIN B09YQG3219
yes, I ordered on but upon delivery.....way too small.

I think the sweet spot, as far as i'm concerned, is around 8" square...or some derivative of related dimensions.

Closest I could find. It is probably 8” square on the cooking surface but ends up almost 10” overall. I also love my square cast iron pan. Nothing fits bacon better. Made breakfast in it today.

^^^^^I like that. Restored. How does one Restore a cast pan?? But for $40. Can’t go wrong.

^^^^^I like that. Restored. How does one Restore a cast pan?? But for $40. Can’t go wrong.
Restore might be a strong term for it, but I've "refreshed" 10 or more old cast iron pieces. Usually involves a few days soaking in lye to remove the old crusty gunk stuck to the pan, then a thorough scrubbing and wire brushing, followed by several rounds of seasoning. The old stuff is soooo nice to cook on compared to modern cast iron.

Bacon, camping?

My old Cabelas high wall cast iron skillet weighs ~60 pounds but I doubt they make it anymore now that Cabelas for all practical purposes is long gone.

14436351614_e28e768217_b.jpg

36177828751_d21d4562af_b.jpg

Because all great recipes start with first you cook a pound of bacon. But first you have to make the bacon

38481772315_1001b74de1_b.jpg

yes, I ordered on but upon delivery.....way too small.

I think the sweet spot, as far as i'm concerned, is around 8" square...or some derivative of related dimensions.

I have an embarrassing amount of cast iron. So does my hunting buddy he even carries (or used to) a high wall chicken fryer in his FJ drawer

49125669202_9f010b3d96_b.jpg

Few years back he turned me onto carbon steel. Now we both have the Smithey Round Roaster. They are back up to $285 now but it is a good Christmas present to yourself

roastersholiday.jpg

Mine lives on my stove top all the time. Have a few other carbon steel pans mainly French made that are smaller. Wish the Round Roaster was just a little smaller that would be the only pan I'd ever use and for the most part already is. Once I went to carbon steel almost never use the cast iron anymore. You treat it just like cast iron but it is a lot lighter than cast iron.

Made In makes a carbon steel 8.5" x 8.5" half griddle

c8a42b9b32f65c5cb6dd617546f40b86518f73b7-2562x1440.jpg

But overall dimensions are larger than 8.5" square. And the sides are only 1.5" tall which I find a bit short for bacon.

Double post. Must have developed a flinch.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom