Kelty Backroads Shelter (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
SILVER Star
Threads
If you camp out of your vehicle and it's not a motorhome or other large RV, this little trick can enhance your experience. I replaced my wall kit for my 270* Alu Cab awning on my off road trailer with 2 of these. Versatile and quick to set up and take down, you might want to check this out.

Yeah, I like it. It's pretty decent, I like that the walls roll down. Kelty used to make a freestanding one, miss it, but it didn't have the walls. Its a smidge unwieldy but I am short.

Could you post a pic of how you're using it?

Sure, I use one for my rear galley and one for the P.S. door on my trailer. Don't have any pics of the side door, but I tried it out when I only had one shelter and it works well in both positions, so I just got the 2nd 2 days ago.

IMG_2175a.jpg

IMG_2174a.jpg

IMG_2178a.jpg

PS: My trailer build link is in my sig

Last edited:
I have the same Kelty and use it on the driver side of my trailer over my Kick-Ass shower as a privacy room.

View attachment 3393043
Yeah, IMHO it's one of the most useful and versatile tent like items you can carry, if you vehicle camp. BTW, I just noticed in your pic that you have the short cross pole running under the 2 longer poles. That should go over (or on top of) the long poles. It makes the shelter stronger in the wind. Also gives more resistance so you can tie the side flaps down tighter.

Yeah, IMHO it's one of the most useful and versatile tent like items you can carry, if you vehicle camp. BTW, I just noticed in your pic that you have the short cross pole running under the 2 longer poles. That should go over (or on top of) the long poles. It makes the shelter stronger in the wind. Also gives more resistance so you can tie the side flaps down tighter.
Yeah, I put it together in the dark with "help" and realized it the next day when I snapped that picture. :doh:

If you camp out of your vehicle and it's not a motorhome or other large RV, this little trick can enhance your experience. I replaced my wall kit for my 270* Alu Cab awning on my off road trailer with 2 of these. Versatile and quick to set up and take down, you might want to check this out.

Here's a pic or two of mine on the rear of the old 80 (RIP).
GETbHO.jpg

We use it in conjunction with a tailgate tent to keep the mosquitos, etc out of the sleeping area.
k7QAld.jpg

It's a lot more flexible and quicker to set up than the awning we used to use if you need to install the side panels on the awning. With the Kelty, all that's readily at hand to deploy as needed. The only drawback is you can't driveaway and leave it standing like the awning, illustrated here without the side panels but with the tailgate tent deployed.
C1mfpI.jpg
The Kelty has less SF under it, but with a side awning that went up and could be enclosed quickly, that advantage to the old awning was moot.
P5AYvS.jpg

Here's a pic or two of mine on the rear of the old 80 (RIP).
GETbHO.jpg

We use it in conjunction with a tailgate tent to keep the mosquitos, etc out of the sleeping area.
k7QAld.jpg

It's a lot more flexible and quicker to set up than the awning we used to use if you need to install the side panels on the awning. With the Kelty, all that's readily at hand to deploy as needed. The only drawback is you can't driveaway and leave it standing like the awning, illustrated here without the side panels but with the tailgate tent deployed.
C1mfpI.jpg
The Kelty has less SF under it, but with a side awning that went up and could be enclosed quickly, that advantage to the old awning was moot.
P5AYvS.jpg
Thanks for the pics! Yeah, the Kelty definitely has no insect protection, but works well for privacy, keeping precipitation off and some wind. But as far as drive away capability at a campsite, you could just disco vehicle mounts, pull forward and let the shelter lay down and/or tie to tent stakes if windy. Backing up back into place shouldn't be difficult. You could even leave some camping gear underneath while you're gone. It kinda looks like a short tent after assembling before you setup on a rig. I really like the versatility of this shelter!

I had an older version called the Kelty Carport. It was nice one could make it kind of free standing.
1699036355069.png

It was well loved. I added this inexpensive mosquito netting underneath it.

However, I now run an Ironman 6.5 m Awning with the Room. Generally, I found it sets up faster over all and especially in windy conditions. Plus I like having the zip in floor.

I had an older version called the Kelty Carport. It was nice one could make it kind of free standing. View attachment 3472095

It was well loved. I added this inexpensive mosquito netting underneath it.

However, I now run an Ironman 6.5 m Awning with the Room. Generally, I found it sets up faster over all and especially in windy conditions. Plus I like having the zip in floor.
Thanks for sharing! That is so cool to see the progressive direction that camping equipment has taken. I imagine that mosquito netting came in handy in some places. Yes, a wall kit or "room" that seals out bugs and weather is like a luxury when camping! I hope to one day land the perfect awning and (sealed) room that works for my trailer. For sure, the Kelty shelters are a compromise. Basic shade and moisture protection, but quick and easy to deploy and pack up.

Thanks for sharing! That is so cool to see the progressive direction that camping equipment has taken. I imagine that mosquito netting came in handy in some places. Yes, a wall kit or "room" that seals out bugs and weather is like a luxury when camping! I hope to one day land the perfect awning and (sealed) room that works for my trailer. For sure, the Kelty shelters are a compromise. Basic shade and moisture protection, but quick and easy to deploy and pack up.
For a "sealed" room off the back of my InTech offroad squaredrop, I use a 6.5' Ironman awning with the room attachment. I sewed velcro to the room and stuck the other half of the velcro down the back side of the camper. The door flap of the room that gets zipped out gets tucked in under the mattress and I cut a piece of sheet vinyl that I wedge in between the roof of the camper and the awning rail to keep bugs and rain out from the top. It works better than I had expected. I do carry some adjustable tent poles and use one in the center of the room from the floor to the ceiling to push the ceiling up to keep water from being able to pool on it. (The second pic is without the floor zipped in. I now leave it zipped in all the time.)
IMG_1080.jpeg
IMG_0822.jpeg
A6D357CF-F8B8-4DB1-B06E-A51FF9ADA66C.jpeg

Last edited:
For a "sealed" room off the back of my InTech offroad squaredrop, I use a 6.5' Ironman awning with the room attachment. I sewed velcro to the room and stuck the other half of the velcro down the back side of the camper. The door flap of the room that gets zipped out gets tucked in under the mattress and I cut a piece of sheet vinyl that I wedge in between the roof of the camper and the awning rain to keep bugs and rain out from the top. It works better than I had expected. I do carry some adjustable tent poles and use one in the center of the room from the floor to the ceiling to push the ceiling up to keep water from being able to pool on it. (The second pic is without the floor zipped in. I leave it zipped in all the time.)View attachment 3472575View attachment 3472576View attachment 3472577
Wow, that sounds like an ambitious project! Nice trailer, by the way! Yours is the 2nd recent post to mention the 6.6 Ironman with a room. I'll have to check that out. I'm thinking a smaller awning with a room would work out better than my 270* Alu-Cab, for shelter. How do you work your galley? Do you set it up inside or under the side awning?

Wow, that sounds like an ambitious project! Nice trailer, by the way! Yours is the 2nd recent post to mention the 6.6 Ironman with a room. I'll have to check that out. I'm thinking a smaller awning with a room would work out better than my 270* Alu-Cab, for shelter. How do you work your galley? Do you set it up inside or under the side awning?
Thanks. I love the trailer. I've had it for about a year and a half and it has come in very handy. My trailer doesn't have a galley or any kind of built in kitchen. It's the smallest trailer InTech makes and is perfect for getting into small spaces and down tight trails. As you can see in that first pic, I also have an 8' ARB off the passenger side. I have the room attachment for that one also. So, if it's raining, the kitchen gets set up under an awning. If not, it gets set up where ever the ground is level.

As for that project, it really wasn't bad. My wife was able to get her sewing machine to go through everything after I had started sewing it by hand. In hindsight though I would use velcro without the adhesive on the room panel if I had to do it again. The adhesive kept gumming up the needle of the sewing machine and it took longer to complete than necessary. Other than that, it was a pretty simple project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom