looking for unoptanium cast iron pan.... (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey mudders,

Looking for a square 🔳 cast iron frying pan for camping. The kind with out the "ribbs", just flat.

Searched high & low.....no dice (as of yet).

Reason: will fit better in my kitchen box on it's side without rolling.

Thanks in advance!

When you say "no ribs" do you mean like this on I have?
(Antique "Bacon and Eggs" model...)

IMG_0313.JPG

IMG_0315.JPG

Or is this what you're after?
@Live to Ski

@Trapper50cal how do you get the bacon grease safely over to fry the eggs? 😆

Jason

Jason
hi jason and thanks for the info.

those pans are slightly rounded = rocking when stored vertically.

I'm looking for flat edged square pan with handle like the ones you pointed out.

Picky... :flipoff2:

Something like this? I'm assuming you want at least a 10" pan that's not too shallow.
Square.jpg

hi jason and thanks for the info.

those pans are slightly rounded = rocking when stored vertically.

I'm looking for flat edged square pan with handle like the ones you pointed out.

Handle off the flat side or corner? Both were an option.

Shallow or deep?

Pour spout or none?

Hey mudders,

Looking for a square 🔳 cast iron frying pan for camping. The kind with out the "ribbs", just flat.

Searched high & low.....no dice (as of yet).

Reason: will fit better in my kitchen box on it's side without rolling.

Thanks in advance!
The handle will stop a round pan from rolling if it’s held in place. That’s what I do.

Good god man. You can find a way to stop a pan from rolling in your drawer much easier than you can reinvent the wheel.

I have a favorite rectangular dutch, but they're NLA and those of us in the rafting community are not inviting more buying pressure.

well, the question was/is a curiousity that often entered my brain while camping. Hey, if it makes my life a little easier......rectangular/square is just more efficient for on edge storing in already tight kitchen box.

It definately generated some discussion though & produced some solutions.

surfpig: a great find. but dang, 10" is to high on edge for my kitchen box and the 5+" is too small (ask me how in know.....been there/done that).

The sweet spot for me is around 8" square.......looking in all the wrong places :bang:

Last edited:
Good god man. You can find a way to stop a pan from rolling in your drawer much easier than you can reinvent the wheel.

I have a favorite rectangular dutch, but they're NLA and those of us in the rafting community are not inviting more buying pressure.
That's cuz you in the rafting community are a bunch of damned stoners!

:flipoff2:

well, the question was/is a curiousity that often entered my brain while camping. Hey, if it makes my life a little easier......rectangular/square is just more efficient for on edge storing in already tight kitchen box.

It definately generated some discussion though & produced some solutions.

surfpig: a great find. but dang, 10" is to high on edge for my kitchen box and the 5+" is too small (ask me how in know.....been there/done that).

The sweet spot for me is around 8" square.......looking in all the wrong places :bang:
I like a deeper pan. Pretty sure I saw shallower ones though.

I feel your pain: I went through similar issues trying to find a suitable skillet for my camping box, and it HAD to be a particular shape/size. I was using an old teflon backpacking pan, with a folding handle which was decent, but it was teflon, and wearing out. I finally found a really nice "lightweight" cast iron one in the exact shape and size, from the same company (but I sure as hell wouldn't take it backpacking!). Anyway, I probably could've saved a lot of time and trouble just getting myself a different kitchen box. :lol:

Well, 10 min in Cabelas today. I generally think cast pans are too heavy to pack, but I did just find a new 7” round pan with wire folding handle. It will be in my pot bag going forward.

IMG_8641.jpeg

IMG_8642.jpeg

Well, 10 min in Cabelas today. I generally think cast pans are too heavy to pack, but I did just find a new 7” round pan with wire folding handle. It will be in my pot bag going forward.

View attachment 3465427

View attachment 3465428
familiar w. the folding hadle pans. I believe the ones I spotted on the internet were aluminum....or they may have had ribbs....something like that which threw me off.

square baking pan above lacks the one handed handle that I crave.

There are removable handles for cast pans. That makes them easier for transport and storing

Partner Steel makes some pretty sweet square dutch ovens from hard anodized aluminum, but they're really expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom