Tundra "camping" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gold Boy

🇨🇦 🇺🇸
SILVER Star
Threads
Tuffstuff alpha 4 rtt
Chinese happy sometimes diesel heater...
Okanagan BC area 5500ft Elevation

20231002_191410.jpg

20231002_191110.jpg

An iceberg in February in the Northern Hemisphere.......that's really impressive:hmm:
To top it off, The Cruiser was parked beside the tent. ;)

This Glacier calves into a about a 6 square mile lake with about a 20 mile river run to the tidal waters. There are the remains of a moraine under the water at the head of the river that keeps the bergs in the lake. In the summer time we kayak in the shifting maze. In the winter we hike, ski or... Cruise the lake between the bergs. Best winter camp spot I ever found out there was inside a hidden and wind sheltered nook in a berg with ice walls above for about 330* us and a narrow entry from the outside.

Sadly over the past decade too many other people have found/heard about/figured out what a cool spot it is and it is no longer our private place. :(

Mark...

Last edited:

This Glacier calves into a about a 6 square mile lake with about a 20 mile river run to the tidal waters. There are the remains of a moraine under the water at the head of the river that keeps the bergs in the lake. In the summer time we kayak in the shifting maze. In the winter we hike, ski or... Cruise the lake between the bergs. Best winter camp spot I ever found out there was inside a hidden and wind sheltered nook in a berg with ice walls above for about 330* us and a narrow entry from the outside.

Sadly over the past decade too many other people have found/heard about/figured out what a cool spot it is and it is no longer our private place. :(

Mark...
Thanks for filling in the details. Was wondering how one would, 1. camp on an iceberg, and 2. find an iceberg in February in your area. This lake sounds amazing. With the changes between summer and winter, I don't imagine that sheltered nook would have lasted more than a season. So, maybe after a few years go by, and with the changes to the lake, these other people will lose interest and it'll have new surprises for you to discover in the coming winters. :popcorn:

Thanks for filling in the details. Was wondering how one would, 1. camp on an iceberg, and 2. find an iceberg in February in your area. This lake sounds amazing. With the changes between summer and winter, I don't imagine that sheltered nook would have lasted more than a season. So, maybe after a few years go by, and with the changes to the lake, these other people will lose interest and it'll have new surprises for you to discover in the coming winters. :popcorn:
Icebergs can be found all year round in the lakes and bays where glaciers calve. Lots of variables to factor in across all the different glaciers. Of course some glaciers do not terminate in water of any sort. but lots do. Accessing them with a Cruiser is pretty much a winter only and a "lake, not bay" type thing. ;)

The "nook" I mentioned was basically in the center of an iceberg. Even the biggest in this particular location are seldom bigger than two or three (new york) city blocks. Most are far far smaller. They never last through the year (Icebergs continue melting and sublimating even in the dead of winter).

No real short term changes to this lake going on that will do anything other than continue to draw people. I don't blame them for coming out to enjoy it. *I* do after all. I just miss having it a bit more to myself. :confused:

Mark...

Mark...
that's cool, yup, pun intended. yeah, secret spots never stay that way, do they?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom