Lift Kit Questions RE: Military Wrap (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RWBeringer4x4

Mechanically Challenged
SILVER Star
Threads
Hey all,

I’m getting a little ahead of myself as a lift kit is a few projects down my list - but I’ve been looking at the 2.5” options that are out there. General consensus is that OME kits ride best and seem to be good on and off road - so they’ve been my front runner for a while.

However - two questions come to mind looking at the kit design:

1. I notice there is no military wrap on either side of the spring (at least not the new versions).

2. I’m not 100% clear but it seems like the shackles/bushings might be unique to the springs?

I have relatively new shackles on my 40 - and one has to be “clearanced” due to a less than perfect Saginaw conversation. I believe they’re all stock “small-eye” pre 1980 shackles dimensions. The rears are 3/4” over stock heigh MAF greasable anti-inversion shackles. The fronts are 3/4 over stock height inch standard bar shackles (maybe FJ55 shackles)?

1. Is there a bushing combo that mates stock shackles to OME springs?

2. Since I do wheel my truck occasionally, do I need to be overly concerned about the lack of military wrap?

I’ve always looked at the mil-wrap kind of like a parachute - you probably won’t need one, but if you do you’ll be glad you have it... I haven’t broken my 45 year old stock springs yet but I also don’t think this truck was wheeled much.

As far as I can tell, for military wrap in 2.5” the option these days is basically to have Alcan make you a set. I think the Hell soft Stout lifts are wrapped but it seems like they’re pretty much exclusively 4” anymore - which is taller than I’m looking for. I’ve heard mixed reviews on Alcan building springs to spec on the forum. They come at a premium price which I’m not super enthusiastic about paying - but I generally like to build as overkill as my budget allows. I don’t have a tow rig so my truck has to get me home at the end of a day off road! That said, I’m not sure a 100mi trip with a spring hanging on by the military wrap would be doable anyway...

Thoughts and opinions welcomed!

i think ome is riding their coattails from years ago...and this forum more than helps that.
i've read more than a few threads about poor shackle angles, centered around ome springs....they haven't been the same since they moved production out of oz...i dont recall where...one of the asian islands.

i've been more than happy with my sky jackers.

i think ome is riding their coattails from years ago...and this forum more than helps that.
i've read more than a few threads about poor shackle angles, centered around ome springs....they haven't been the same since they moved production out of oz...i dont recall where...one of the asian islands.

i've been more than happy with my sky jackers.

Thanks @brian,

Not really trying to create another “which lift is best” thread - since these seem to be in abundance. I’ve already got cut rear wheel wells and slightly extended shackles. I also don’t plan on going bigger than 33” tires - so 2.5” should do it, and there is a surprising abundance of choices for sure. Just looking at some of the differentiators between the kits (beyond price) and trying to understand what I should/shouldn’t be concerned with.

I’ve looked at Skyjackers as well, they’re certainly one I’d consider - the price is absolutely right. But they too do not have a Military Wrap. For road use this is never something I’d really worry about (and, realistically, this truck spends about 90% of its miles on-road), broken springs don’t seem to be a common failure mode off-road either - so now sure if this is just an overkill design element on the stock springs or if I should legitimately concern myself with finding a set of springs that maintain the wrap.

Same question applies to the skyjackers - are you running stock diameter shackles/pins and if so, does skyjacker provide appropriate bushings? MAF/SOR used to have a big selection of different ID/OD bushings to match most combinations. To be honest I haven’t looked in a few years to know if that’s still an option.

Basically - if I can run my current shackles with OME/Skyjacker, etc. it saves me some money on the setup so I’m hoping that it’s an option. I just rarely (it ever) see an OME Kit with non-OME shackles so it made me wonder if there’s a reason for it.

Last edited:
The last lifted springs I had did have the military wrap. I think they call it military so you can mount a 200 mm canon on your FJ lol. They were trash, way to stiff, never “broke in” like I was told they would. I went with Skyjacker smooth and quite ride spring set and couldn’t be happier with ride comfort and articulation I now have. Just my opinion but trust me on the super stiff springs, if they are all painted together they just don’t flex.

The last lifted springs I had did have the military wrap. I think they call it military so you can mount a 200 mm canon on your FJ lol. They were trash, way to stiff, never “broke in” like I was told they would. I went with Skyjacker smooth and quite ride spring set and couldn’t be happier with ride comfort and articulation I now have. Just my opinion but trust me on the super stiff springs, if they are all painted together they just don’t flex.

I’m not talking about the wrap around the leaf spring pack that holds it together, I’m talking about the wrap of the second spring around the spring eye. I don’t think that should affect articulation dramatically but it does save your bacon if you break the main leaf off-road. Instead of the spring falling off the frame, you at least have a “loose” connection to back it up.

Like this:

CDBB9426-D964-40F6-A8A9-1B119DF15A4C.jpeg

And why it is a good thing to have:

D119E06D-8E4E-4FD8-88F4-A94FFCFE970F.jpeg

I’m just not sure how often the above (or any main leaf crack/failure) actually happens...

with modern qualify control standards as well as NDE procedures using modern equipement, broken leafs are nearly unheard of today. you would either have to literally drive the wheels off the thing, or just be super unlucky to break a main leaf....as evidenced by the lack of mw's by almost any aftermarket maker.
i wouldn't (and didn't) give military wraps any thought.

i also can't answer the bushing question, as i was replacing everything with new....and made the shackles using whatever sized bolt the bushings were intended for...and i didn't keep notes on them.

i went with ome springs on the 60 series project...due only to skyjacker not offering springs for them...and there again i'll make my own shackles.

i went with ome springs on the 60 series project...due only to skyjacker not offering springs for them...and there again i'll make my own shackles.

Not to derail my own thread but I don't think I knew you had a 60-series.

I had the eye snap on the main leaf of an OME Dakkar spring back in 2008. Spring had 10 months on it and hadn't been flogged. I'd certainly want a military wrap on the fixed end, and am surprised to hear they've dropped it.

I had the eye snap on the main leaf of an OME Dakkar spring back in 2008. Spring had 10 months on it and hadn't been flogged. I'd certainly want a military wrap on the fixed end, and am surprised to hear they've dropped it.

That’s exactly my concern - but As @brian mentioned, I don’t think many of the modern spring options (beyond custom made Alcans) that include wraps. The only one I know of is the Hell For Stout setup from CCOT. Honestly I just don’t know too many people running this setup.

Bumping for more insight into how nit-picky having Military wrap is.

So far I've got one confirmed broken spring above which makes me think this is probably a good idea.

Looking at my options:

No Military Wrap:
Skyjacker
OME
Hell Creek??? (not sure about this one)

With the Military Wrap:
CCOT
Custom Alcans

Naturally how they ride, etc. is all important as well - but there's plenty of threads discussing that.

@DSRTRDR; @reddingcruiser @Stumpalama paging you guys since you seem to be well versed in flexing things until they break.

yes, I have broken many a suspension piece, typically spring pins, but also broke a spring leaf once

I would always go 4" - springs sag soon enough, they will be like 2.5" in no time

the only thing I don't care about with my Skyjacker springs are the religious pamphlets that they send with their products :rolleyes: - otherwise, I'd buy them again - it also happens to be a Louisiana company

Find the longest 4" lift springs you can. IMHO Skyjacker 4" springs ride like chit.
IIRC, CCOT springs are good springs. Either way, you'll want to put a bunch of weight in the back to break them in.

Find the longest 4" lift springs you can. IMHO Skyjacker 4" springs ride like chit.
IIRC, CCOT springs are good springs. Either way, you'll want to put a bunch of weight in the back to break them in.

Stump - the ride is actually about the bottom of the concern list to be honest. It rides like a brick currently with the load leveler shocks - and it’s never going to ride like a Cadillac so...not overly concerned I’m honestly not sure it could get much worse.

My truck is gaining weight almost daily - it just got a whole 4+ back end (bumper, metal fender flares, soon to gain a skid plate and Orion) which is one of my concerns actually about a lot of these kits - I like the OME is “tuneable” to the weight to a certain degree. I worry that springs designed for a more stock weight truck will just sag that much sooner...

The plan was to stick to 2.5” so I don’t have to mess with drivelines, brake lines, and all the other stuff that comes with messing around at 4” - plus so far I don’t have any plans to go to tires bigger than about 33” - and frankly my 31’s are brand new - and they’d look ridiculous with a 4” lift 🤣

I seem to recall that the CCOT springs are advertised as slightly longer than stock. It certainly wouldn’t be like mounting 60-series springs but maybe a little smoother?

yes, I have broken many a suspension piece, typically spring pins, but also broke a spring leaf once

I would always go 4" - springs sag soon enough, they will be like 2.5" in no time

the only thing I don't care about with my Skyjacker springs are the religious pamphlets that they send with their products :rolleyes: - otherwise, I'd buy them again - it also happens to be a Louisiana company

@DSRTRDR when you broke your leaf spring were you totally decommissioned? Would a military wrap at the spring have allowed you to limp out?

the last few springs i saw break were broken by the axle mount area not at the eye/bushing. but those were old springs with a fair amount of rust pitting and trail abuse.
example of a broken spring and the trail fix in progress. More lashing still needed to limp home.

IMG_2735a.JPG

@Pighead - your avatar is a truck that is literally airborne so I'll tag you for input here as well. Looking for opinions on Military Wraps, and spring construction in general. I don't even wheel this rig that hard, but when I do, I don't have a trailer so it needs to get me home, or at least to somewhere AAA will come get me...so I try to overbuild things as best I can.

@Pighead - your avatar is a truck that is literally airborne
Well, yes, I did get airborne, once, but not really on purpose and I did bend front axle shock mounts on landing...
Not really sure what I could add to this thread, I'm running original 55 spring packs, except I did have the rears re-arched and 2 leafs added many years ago. Been SOA since 2004. With Mark A.'s shackles. Not really pleased with the shackle angle, but haven't gotten around to changing it.
I've never broken a spring (hate to post that for fear of jinxing it...) or spring pin. Never owned a trailer, and my LandCruiser has always gotten me home, even when badly hurt and hurriedly trail-fixed. That has not always been due to driver skill or mechanical acumen, probably more to do with the quality of the vehicle itself.
Over-building is good. As is research. Perhaps I just got lucky, getting the best 55 fabricator (FC) before he got famous to do my SOA. But I'd rather be lucky than good.
OK, after thinking & drinking a bit, here is advice: You don't necessarily need "The Best Set-up". Try a Good set-up. maybe even a Very Good set-up. You'll probably end up changing it out again anyway. Some things on my Pig I've changed out 3 or 4 times.
Find yourself something decent that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Put it on and wheel it. You will learn what it is you want for the next one. Don't expect to find the perfect fit the first time. Building your rig is an evolution. Your tastes and needs may even change over time. Get it rolling and enjoy it as you plan your next upgrade.

that said, none of my breaks would have been prevented by a military wrap - (same with for my hubby with his Blazer springs with military wraps)

new bushings always made a big difference for me in ride quality and tracking - that's where the ready availability of Skyjacker bushings (via 4 Wheel Parts) comes into play for me

and with the many complaints about Alcan on this forum, I'd stay away from them like the pest

Stump - the ride is actually about the bottom of the concern list to be honest. It rides like a brick currently with the load leveler shocks - and it’s never going to ride like a Cadillac so...not overly concerned I’m honestly not sure it could get much worse.

My truck is gaining weight almost daily - it just got a whole 4+ back end (bumper, metal fender flares, soon to gain a skid plate and Orion) which is one of my concerns actually about a lot of these kits - I like the OME is “tuneable” to the weight to a certain degree. I worry that springs designed for a more stock weight truck will just sag that much sooner...

The plan was to stick to 2.5” so I don’t have to mess with drivelines, brake lines, and all the other stuff that comes with messing around at 4” - plus so far I don’t have any plans to go to tires bigger than about 33” - and frankly my 31’s are brand new - and they’d look ridiculous with a 4” lift 🤣

I seem to recall that the CCOT springs are advertised as slightly longer than stock. It certainly wouldn’t be like mounting 60-series springs but maybe a little smoother?

@DSRTRDR when you broke your leaf spring were you totally decommissioned? Would a military wrap at the spring have allowed you to limp out?

my broken spring was the third leaf, if I recall correctly, so the truck was totally drivable nonetheless - I actually discovered the break while parked at home

the only time I was "decommissioned" was when the right front birf blew on the Golden Crack:

45 minutes later, I was rolling again (having a pre-packed spare full axle assembly in the truck was the ticket, and -of course- the greatest wrenchers I could ask for: thanks to Michael, Kevin (RIP :frown:), Phil, and Tony :cheers:

P5050728.jpg

Last edited:
that said, none of my breaks would have been prevented by a military wrap - (same with for my hubby with his Blazer springs with military wraps)

new bushings always made a big difference for me in ride quality and tracking - that's where the ready availability of Skyjacker bushings (via 4 Wheel Parts) comes into play for me

and with the many complaints about Alcan on this forum, I'd stay away from them like the pest

Serviceability is key - and using off the shelf bushings is a nice feature. I’ve seen the mixed reviews on Alcan but honestly most of the lift kit discussions on the forum are about 10-15 years old at this point. Theres at least one local guy running them here and he has been very happy with them. Hell creek, for example, was well regarded but I understand they switched manufacturers a number of years back and I haven’t seen a review on the new setups.

Seems like these days for a 2.5” kit everyone just immediately picks OME - and there may be a very good reason for that - but I do like the LOOK of the CCOT springs - they seen very overbuilt/serviceable - just not sure how much they’d like the extra 250-300lbs in armor (plus the hard top) that is hanging over the back axle long term.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom