Let's see your 40-series overlanders! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Camping, Rafting, or Overwatering?

9C4432FD-2613-4781-BEC1-9874D59999D1.jpeg

Nothing wrong with the term "overlanding," or, for example, with the term "tactical." But each can be abused to the point of silliness. Since I helped popularize the term "overlanding" for better or worse, here's my rule:

Sleeping bag and tent in the back of a pickup: camping.
Sleeping bag and tent in the back of a Land Rover: overlanding
Sleeping bag and tent in the back of a Land Rover, and your name stenciled on the door: expedition.

Easy.
what's a land rover

The roof rack also makes an excellent open air sleep platform. Used it a couple of dozen times

1624366374460.jpeg

On this particular trip, I ended up sleeping in the truck as well. Nobody at K2 that year will forget THAT Storm!😱

Hey hope this is the right forum.

Who's built their fj40 for camping? I want to see your builds. Roof tents and all!
I wouldn't say "buil(ding) my FJ40 for camping" was the primary goal, but an end result..
The second pic shows my "basic set-up" for Deer Hunting in Colorado (I live in Texas)
Not seen in this pic is the 8'x10' tent set-up INSIDE the 10'x12' tent. The 12'x14' tent
was set-up on the "northside".. to block those "Blue Northers". The ONLY heater we used
was a small Coleman Catalytic and well insulated sleeping bags!
First pic shows some "additions" added to make hunting a bit more comfortable during
our "Weather Extremes" in Texas (100 degrees during Dove Season to freezing drizzle & snow
during Duck Season!)
Those "additions" show my 23" "Self-Contained" Travel Trailer,(with a 3500KW Generator) attached
to my '74 FJ40, that became the basic "roughing it" set-up used nearly a decade for ALL hunting
and fishing seasons in Texas. (I was young, once..)
Charles 1974 FJ40.
FJ40 #4-3.jpg

fj40  overlanding #1.jpg

I wouldn't say "buil(ding) my FJ40 for camping" was the primary goal, but an end result..
The second pic shows my "basic set-up" for Deer Hunting in Colorado (I live in Texas)
Not seen in this pic is the 8'x10' tent set-up INSIDE the 10'x12' tent. The 12'x14' tent
was set-up on the "northside".. to block those "Blue Northers". The ONLY heater we used
was a small Coleman Catalytic and well insulated sleeping bags!
First pic shows some "additions" added to make hunting a bit more comfortable during
our "Weather Extremes" in Texas (100 degrees during Dove Season to freezing drizzle & snow
during Duck Season!)
Those "additions" show my 23" "Self-Contained" Travel Trailer,(with a 3500KW Generator) attached
to my '74 FJ40, that became the basic "roughing it" set-up used nearly a decade for ALL hunting
and fishing seasons in Texas. (I was young, once..)
Charles 1974 FJ40.
View attachment 2715473

View attachment 2715402
What's under the hood of that 40?? Did you tow that with an F motor?

Sleeping bag and tent in the back of a pickup: camping.
Sleeping bag and tent in the back of a Land Rover: overlanding
Sleeping bag and tent in the back of a Land Rover, and your name stenciled on the door: expedition.

Easy.
Or as Jdc1 says when I wander off by myself “Gramping”

16874164-DFD1-4BB5-AB05-87CC13692D23.jpeg

Don’t be hating for the electrical box. Up on Lake Michigan some of the best ways
To be near the lake is in the state parks rustic campgrounds

Overlanding is remote camping. With an emphasis on the “getting there” part. YES most 40 owners that have been at it for a long time have been doing this already. Overlanding has a bigger focus on self reliance and the gear to get you there.
That should sound familiar to most 40 owners.

huh. I always thought it came from the old practice of heading off trail into the backcountry wherever you wanted, or something like that. now seems like just a way of saying car camping but going on dirt roads.

done a lot of camping with the old 40. slept in it a bunch pulling the drivers seat. slept up on the roof too. or just a lean to tarp and on the ground beside the truck. but after it became two of us going on trips i used a ground tent and strung tarp off the roof rack. good times

100_8043.JPG

40early8.jpg

IMGP5630.JPG

100_3961.JPG

What's under the hood of that 40?? Did you tow that with an F motor?
MrJordan;
Didn't mean to ignore you.. I just don't check my own posts ;-}
On one hunting trip to SW Colorado, I did tow a "tag-a-long" trailer (about a 4 x8) with around 1000lbs of camping
gear and five "gerry cans" of gasoline.. this was during the "Gasoline Crisis" in the '70's. (my second pic, trailer not shown)
My FJ40 was stock, at the time, and it barely made it over the Continental Divide (at the 12,500 foot mark, I was in FIRST Gear, hoping I could make the last quarter mile to get over the top!! (we came back the "southern route" because of that!!)
Anyway, the "back story" on my FJ40.. I bought it new in Dec '73 (it's titled 1974), and did FIVE Valve Jobs in the
first four years of ownership.. I decided to "fix" that problem... permanently!! In 1978 I removed the original engine
and G-box (3 speed) and took them to the scrap yard! I then installed a 1967 429cid Cadillac V-8 with a "built" TH400
and bolted that assembly to the T-Case and logged over 300K trouble free miles since.
I've even pulled loaded 18 wheelers up ice slick hills just using "Four High"! After fitting the Caddy V-8, I've never
needed to shift the T-Case into Low Range, since!!
Charles 1974 FJ40.

MrJordan;
Didn't mean to ignore you.. I just don't check my own posts ;-}
On one hunting trip to SW Colorado, I did tow a "tag-a-long" trailer (about a 4 x8) with around 1000lbs of camping
gear and five "gerry cans" of gasoline.. this was during the "Gasoline Crisis" in the '70's. (my second pic, trailer not shown)
My FJ40 was stock, at the time, and it barely made it over the Continental Divide (at the 12,500 foot mark, I was in FIRST Gear, hoping I could make the last quarter mile to get over the top!! (we came back the "southern route" because of that!!)
Anyway, the "back story" on my FJ40.. I bought it new in Dec '73 (it's titled 1974), and did FIVE Valve Jobs in the
first four years of ownership.. I decided to "fix" that problem... permanently!! In 1978 I removed the original engine
and G-box (3 speed) and took them to the scrap yard! I then installed a 1967 429cid Cadillac V-8 with a "built" TH400
and bolted that assembly to the T-Case and logged over 300K trouble free miles since.
I've even pulled loaded 18 wheelers up ice slick hills just using "Four High"! After fitting the Caddy V-8, I've never
needed to shift the T-Case into Low Range, since!!
Charles 1974 FJ40.
Dude that's an awesome story. Wonder how much power that caddy made!

If “Overlanding” implies self reliance then just about ANY outing in one off road is Overlanding. As I purchased a 5X7 full size Confer rack from Mark @65swb45 a few years back, wondering how it is sleeping on top of the roof rack? Here in AZ it rarely rains! Thanks👍

P1010611.JPG

Needs more MUDFLAP... lol..

I just happen to be working on some.. !

20210616_204152.jpg

Dude that's an awesome story. Wonder how much power that caddy made!
MrJordann;
According to the Caddy FSM, the 1967 429cid iteration of the "front distributor block" is literally called a "Small Block" and put-out 340 horses and a ground-grabbing 480 Lb Ft.
As an FYI, the Caddy "Big Block" engines (last of the "Big V-8's) were the 472cid 375HP and, of course, the 500CID, 400HP engine!! In the waning years, the later (1977) "425"cid V-8 (Seville) was considered a "small block" (based on the 472 design) and produced a wimpy 180HP... Go Figure!
I can climb a wall with my set-up.. I do believe the 472 (and/or 500cid) should be able to simply leap over them!! The problem with trying to use a "big block" is, the engine is almost WIDER than an FJ40!!
When I first fitted the 429cid V-8 into my '74 FJ40, I totally rebuilt a stock engine, doing a 0.030 over "clean-up bore".. so it has not had a "radical rebuild".. I'm going to dig into it to see if the 429cid could reliably be made to produce the horsepower and torque of the '68-'69 472's (375hp & 525lbs) without sacrificing ANY reliability!!
Hey, "research" is free... Right?? I mean, 500+ Lbs of Torque is nothing to sneeze at when crawlin' rocks or small Texas hills like Mt. Everest ;-}
Charles 1974 FJ40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom