LED headlights for 80 series (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This week I finally got sick of having my LHS headlight H4 lamp blown and driving around at night with sub-standard Illuminati Action (tm) so I bit the bullet and fitted a set of Stedi H4 LED headlight lamps to the outer hi/lo beam 6 x 4 genuine factory inserts on my 80. It involved removing each full headlight assembly in turn from the front as it was the only way to do the job, but the results are very good. I already have a Piranha 4-relay 'superloom' fitted from previous work done ages back.

The hardest part of the job was getting the factory rear rubber seal covers over the electronic module for each LED lamp but otherwise a very simple task to install with the removal and re-fitting of each headlight assembly being really easy. A while back I sourced and fitted all new genuine old-stock 6 x 4 semi-sealed inserts for both outer and inner headlights on each side so they are still like new.

There are a few things I will not do with 80 series headlights - fit HID aftermarket ones, fit full 6 x 4 LED insert replacements, fit Sahara style headlights. I'm going to replace the H1 hi-beam inners with LED lamps next once the Stedi H1's come back into stock.

What's your experience with LED headlights and what options have you evaluated for upgrading from standard along the pathway of LED Illuminati Action ?

Craig.

LED headlight bulbs do not have any cutoff, so they blind everyone coming toward you.

To avoid this, I installed a set of Depo light assemblies and loaded them with a Morimoto HID projectors. Much better than OEM and kind to other drivers. The conversion and install are easy with a couple small details like don’t bake the assemblies too long and melt the tabs. Ask me how I know !
4667AF9D-3699-495E-971F-D9865FB90885.jpeg
089C769C-9A38-4EA8-9A3F-83C0FAE7466D.jpeg
0919FB9F-A55E-49D8-8AC7-792C99D4951A.jpeg
B0E60771-E1A6-4E8E-83C7-E006198EF1DE.jpeg

Last edited:
I really dig these JW Speaker LED lights on Betty White. They're bright as heck.

IMG-20200220-WA0000.jpg

I know the performance of the HID projector retrofits are AMAZING however the look of the installation reminds me of this:
1595251643239.png

The Stedi LED H4 bulbs absolutely do have the correct Australian-standard RHD beam cut for the low-beam setting by design. Full LED 'panel' insert replacements (such as the Ultraflex and similar ones) do not have any beam cut. I have been using the Stedi's for a week now and they definitely do have the correct beam pattern. Note the beam pattern is *not* set by the glass of the inserts - it's set by the lamps. And it's a lot easier to see if the lights are aligned correctly than it is with halogen lamps.

The Stedi LED H4 bulbs absolutely do have the correct Australian-standard RHD beam cut for the low-beam setting by design. Full LED 'panel' insert replacements (such as the Ultraflex and similar ones) do not have any beam cut. I have been using the Stedi's for a week now and they definitely do have the correct beam pattern. Note the beam pattern is *not* set by the glass of the inserts - it's set by the lamps. And it's a lot easier to see if the lights are aligned correctly than it is with halogen lamps.

Are you installing the Stedi H4 bulbs in the OEM headlight housings or aftermarket headlight housing? I've still got OEM halogen headlight housings and I've been considering Depos with LED bulbs with proper cutover for reflectors.

Genuine Toyota factory 6 x 4 inserts - brand new ones though not the originals which I replaced about 2 yrs ago.

Genuine Toyota factory 6 x 4 inserts - brand new ones though not the originals which I replaced about 2 yrs ago.
What is a 6 x 4 insert?

The standard size headlight on most Australian 80 series and basically all the base model ones.

looking at getting the stedi LEDs as well, any feedback on them? much better than standard? also sunrk, was the superloom a good upgrade?

I just bought the Stedi H1 and H4 bulbs for my Australian 80 series.

So far im not real impressed. When installing the H1's (hi beam) you loose the red rubber boot that helps keep them water tight.

The H4 (lo beam) seem to be incredibly bright. I havnt driven with them enough on the highway yet but I'll be amazed if I don't get flashed by people thinking I have my hi beams on.

One of the most annoying things is now my high beam indicator light doesn't come on. I've been doing some reading and it's due to Toyota's negative switching. I can rectify it by buying a $40 resistor but I'm just a bit annoyed that it didn't mention that before I bought them. Everything I read says the resistor gets super hot too which sounds a bit concerning.
Now because my high beam indicator isn't coming on, my spotlights on the front of the bullbar also don't come on. So at this stage I've actually lost lighting.

Ok the positives are the hi beams are crazy bright and im happy with that. I bought the reverse bulbs too and they are incredible. Normally my reverse lights do next to nothing, now I can actually see where I'm going.

So overall I feel as though I have wasted a fair bit of money. I'll blow another $40 and get this resistor but I feel as though the low beams will be too bright for on coming vehicals.

A lot of this (probably all of it!) Is my fault for not doing enough research. I also got sick of my passenger bulb blowing so after a few beers I thought **** it and bought every led available.

I take it back....there was some modification needed..

I'll post some pictures, I was looking at them now that I am putting in the high beams.
Any update? They have a 15% off sale today and i’m tempted….

I must be the only person on the forums who likes my stock lights and thinks they’re just fine. They’re better than any of the semis at work, my wife’s ‘15 Outback, and most other vehicles I’ve driven.

I HATE the new Chevy pickup headlights. Lows and brights are blinding when coming at you. Quite a few new vehicles are the same.

I must be the only person on the forums who likes my stock lights and thinks they’re just fine.
I liked my stock ones fine too. I also have really good vision at night, but for those people who look at everything in full bright all day (screens etc) I think it is hard on them. I drive at night with sunglasses on as most headlights from oncoming traffic hurt my eyes. I only went LED because i wanted round headlights as i don't think the LX450 headlights are nice looking from a vanity point of view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom