LED headlights for 80 series (1 Viewer)

This week I finally got sick of having my LHS headlight H4 lamp blown and driving around at night with sub-standard Illuminati Action (tm) so I bit the bullet and fitted a set of Stedi H4 LED headlight lamps to the outer hi/lo beam 6 x 4 genuine factory inserts on my 80. It involved removing each full headlight assembly in turn from the front as it was the only way to do the job, but the results are very good. I already have a Piranha 4-relay 'superloom' fitted from previous work done ages back.

The hardest part of the job was getting the factory rear rubber seal covers over the electronic module for each LED lamp but otherwise a very simple task to install with the removal and re-fitting of each headlight assembly being really easy. A while back I sourced and fitted all new genuine old-stock 6 x 4 semi-sealed inserts for both outer and inner headlights on each side so they are still like new.

There are a few things I will not do with 80 series headlights - fit HID aftermarket ones, fit full 6 x 4 LED insert replacements, fit Sahara style headlights. I'm going to replace the H1 hi-beam inners with LED lamps next once the Stedi H1's come back into stock.

What's your experience with LED headlights and what options have you evaluated for upgrading from standard along the pathway of LED Illuminati Action ?

Craig.

Road Apple

SILVER Star

LED headlight bulbs do not have any cutoff, so they blind everyone coming toward you.

To avoid this, I installed a set of Depo light assemblies and loaded them with a Morimoto HID projectors. Much better than OEM and kind to other drivers. The conversion and install are easy with a couple small details like don’t bake the assemblies too long and melt the tabs. Ask me how I know !
4667AF9D-3699-495E-971F-D9865FB90885.jpeg
089C769C-9A38-4EA8-9A3F-83C0FAE7466D.jpeg
0919FB9F-A55E-49D8-8AC7-792C99D4951A.jpeg
B0E60771-E1A6-4E8E-83C7-E006198EF1DE.jpeg

Last edited:

The Stedi LED H4 bulbs absolutely do have the correct Australian-standard RHD beam cut for the low-beam setting by design. Full LED 'panel' insert replacements (such as the Ultraflex and similar ones) do not have any beam cut. I have been using the Stedi's for a week now and they definitely do have the correct beam pattern. Note the beam pattern is *not* set by the glass of the inserts - it's set by the lamps. And it's a lot easier to see if the lights are aligned correctly than it is with halogen lamps.

lumbee1

Native American

The Stedi LED H4 bulbs absolutely do have the correct Australian-standard RHD beam cut for the low-beam setting by design. Full LED 'panel' insert replacements (such as the Ultraflex and similar ones) do not have any beam cut. I have been using the Stedi's for a week now and they definitely do have the correct beam pattern. Note the beam pattern is *not* set by the glass of the inserts - it's set by the lamps. And it's a lot easier to see if the lights are aligned correctly than it is with halogen lamps.

Are you installing the Stedi H4 bulbs in the OEM headlight housings or aftermarket headlight housing? I've still got OEM halogen headlight housings and I've been considering Depos with LED bulbs with proper cutover for reflectors.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom