knuckle rebuild/seal kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TCEd

SILVER Star
Threads
1977 w/disc brakes.
The left side is leaking a black residue mostly onto the inner side of the wheel. I'm guessing the knuckle is leaking and need a rebuild seal kit with bearing. Possibly ball joints.
Am I thinking correctly ?

Put a Marlin Crawler double seal in Axle tube Can only buy from Marlin Crawler -------- HD Inner Axle Seal SKU: MCSE-1111

Last edited:
If you've never rebuilt the front knuckles, do yourself a favor and call up @cruiseroutfit

They'll hook you up with everything you're going to need, including solid tech support.

If you've never rebuilt the front knuckles, do yourself a favor and call up @cruiseroutfit

They'll hook you up with everything you're going to need, including solid tech support.
That is my plan, just reaching out here also for whatever tech I can absorb. I have no history regarding the knuckles and their maintenance but overall the vehicle seems to have been cared for by the previous owners. Ed

Birfield and tie rods, no ball joints on a 40.

There's no ball joints, but it does have trunion bearings. If you don't know the last time the knuckles have been serviced, nows probably a good time to do it.

Thanks everyone for the info.

Not a hard job just nasty. If you don’t have a parts washer then do yourself a favor and get one.

Messy, do it on the trail when the birf breaks and its 100+, dusty/silty dirt , once you do it its like riding a bike, becomes routine. Just get a garbage bag and a roll of paper towels , pull it apart( wear rubber gloves), when removing steering arms dont screww up the shims under it when you are prying it up, shims under arms and under lower trunion caps, keep shim stacks as they come off and record/remember where each stack was from for reassembly. Scoop out balls with paper towels, straight into bag, repeat, knock races out of ball, check all steering arm studs for tightness and thread damage, install new races, reassemble. ( I mean there is alot of other stuff, seals, hub bearings, that get replaced as part of reassembly )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom