fuel pump rebuild kit, don't they make them anymore? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my fj40 mechanical is designed to be rebuilt but I can't find the kit. do they even make them anymore?

You will get better results when you provide details for what you are after. I now use the like $10 electric fuel pump off e-bay. They last for years. I use them to make transfer pumps to move fuel from 5 gallon cans into tanks.

I have the original mechanical fuel pump that bolts onto the side of my original engine on my 77 fj40. i have bought kits in the past to rebuild it but can't seem to locate any kits now. does anyone know where the kits are sold,, or does someone have to buy the entire fuel pump these days?

Simple google search

@charliemeyer007 you saved the day. I needed exactly this solution to flush my 2000 LX470 transmission oil cooler circuit. I was using a drill operated pump to transfer kerosene from a container to the cooler lines and the kerosene was eating the rubber vanes in the pumps (plural). I don't know why I didn't think to use a fuel rated pump. DOH!

This is why I read every post I can find. You just never know when a nugget will fall into your lap.

Apologies to @rockwind1 for the post highjack.

I'm getting old, its hard to hold the new crappy gas cans that are poorly vented up long enough to dump the fuel into the tank. My sis is 10 years older and has even more issues. she also has a an old Dodge Ram diesel. We tested the pump/filter with diesel on her truck - worked like a champ.

$10 electric fuel pump. $20 for 25' roll of gas hose. $3 fuel filter. $12 for 12V 12' extension cord (fused). $5 water proof switch. Battery clamps $5. I cut about a foot off the cord at the female end , stripped back the wire and put on the battery clamps. The cord is wired to the switch and then to the fuel pump. I put 5' of hose on the suction side of the pump with the filter. 20' on the delivery side.
Unit plugs into cig lighter port or into the battery clamp adapter.

P1030007.JPG

Simple google search
thanks, that is what i was looking for.
I'm getting old, its hard to hold the new crappy gas cans that are poorly vented up long enough to dump the fuel into the tank. My sis is 10 years older and has even more issues. she also has a an old Dodge Ram diesel. We tested the pump/filter with diesel on her truck - worked like a champ.

$10 electric fuel pump. $20 for 25' roll of gas hose. $3 fuel filter. $12 for 12V 12' extension cord (fused). $5 water proof switch. Battery clamps $5. I cut about a foot off the cord at the female end , stripped back the wire and put on the battery clamps. The cord is wired to the switch and then to the fuel pump. I put 5' of hose on the suction side of the pump with the filter. 20' on the delivery side.

View attachment 3500859
i started using a shaker siphon but you need to lift gas above your tank

what is link for your 10$ fuel pump?

my fj40 mechanical is designed to be rebuilt but I can't find the kit. do they even make them anymore?
Simple google search
Yup, we sell kits! Made in Japan and it's a pretty easy process to rebuild the pump :)

just ordered one,, i've done it before. i couldn't find any carb kits for mine on yourwebsite,, or master cylinders?
Thank you! :cheers:
We only offer a rebuild kit for the SD40 and D40 carbs. Newer carbs you can get rebuild kits from cruiser outfitters, same with the master cylinder I believe... but not 100% sure.

We only offer a rebuild kit for the SD40 and D40 carbs. Newer carbs you can get rebuild kits from cruiser outfitters, same with the master cylinder I believe... but not 100% sure.
copy,, was trying to order everything from one place to help on shipping and to save the planet!

Yup. We stock the carbon rebuild kits as well as master, slave, and wheel cylinder rebuild kits @ @cruiser Outfitters. We should stock some fuel pump rebuild kits from you too. We used to have some around but I don't think we so currently.

View attachment 3500859
1701977538708.png

Electric fuel pumps are typically geared toward fuel injection applications and thus introduces increased fuel pressure. Not sure how that affects the carburetor and emissions. For states requiring smog checks I'd certainly be cautious.

Last edited:
I was only intending to use it for fuel transfer. I am partial to mechanical pumps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom