Builds Kid-safe 1975 FJ40 build in Washington DC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My galvanizer said it probably will be fine, but I paint it with a few coats of zink and put heat resistant silicone on it. It managed fine.
Only read this after welding a plate over it. Probably would have been better.

Got the frame back from Baltimore galvanizing. Looks pretty good, there is still some junk/zinc globs that settled on the frame and will be impossible to get off. The vin held up well under the tack welded plate though.

585268C1-218C-4172-8F3C-ED8573C3F9A3.jpeg

E457A383-20A6-4D0A-A3F0-B5996BC9BDA7.jpeg

3844E769-E0F7-4651-96A6-A6DAC06856D0.jpeg

Off to the painter tomorrow. Should have it back in a week. Seems like a real milestone as I will actually start assembling rather than disassembling. I’ve amassed a large number of parts to send out for yellow zinc plating. I was going to blast them, but I think it will leave the parts looking dull after plating - not necessarily a bad look, just hadnt really considered it until now. Anyone have some pics of zinc plated hardware after blasting vs wire wheeling/tumbling? Any recommendations or preferences for hardware prep out there?

Subscribed...as a fellow DC area owner (other side of the river) in the same boat, just picked up a '78 that am making kid-safe (and fun) will be good to watch your progress and exchange notes on DC area shops/resources

Last edited:
Subscribed...as a fellow DC area owner (other side of the river) in the same boat, just picked up a '78 that am making kid-safe (and fun) will be good to watch your progress and exchange notes on DC area shops/resources
Mustard is one of the best colors, yours looks like a solid truck. Let me know if you need any parts, I have some extras lying around.
guess it’s time to pick a color mine, ive been putting it off. Initially Iwas thinking fashion, nebula, or spring green, but I’ve since settled on olive green, also known as baby poop green. I know its not the original Cygnus white, but I only really like the whites after they develop some patina-not in the cards for this one.

Olive is solid color choice, unlike baby poop (sorry, bad dad joke but had to).

Can't wait to see the outcome!

Frame is done, will be delivered by the painter tomorrow. Considering what a mess the galvanizing made, he did a really good job. Still some zinc boogers, and the surface is not particularly smooth... but it’s not a show quality build, and it will never rust. The plate welded over the vin did a great job protecting it, but it was tricky grinding it off - almost looks welded in now! At least the back side (and this thread) proves that it wasn’t! All and all it is good enough.

80889100-5263-45A4-852A-90064DD801AA.jpeg

E8EC0029-0E0D-4AD7-AD41-59ABDC1F6F85.jpeg

017A58A2-8691-4A00-94BD-06E47206ADA6.jpeg

Also blasted a bunch of small stuff. Using a modified harbor freight cabinet and their 5 hp 2 stage compressor. Purchased after lots of reviews told me not to... it is my favorite tool by far. Not sure how other cabinets differ, but it works great and doesn’t leak at all. I’m using a shop vac and dust cyclone and sealed the cabinet with polyurethane calk. The compressor is loud as hell, but keeps up for the most part... for less than 800$ it is just fine. Even the gun works well enough. I’ve never used a more expensive set up, but this was well worth the money. There is nothing more relaxing and satisfying than blasting 45 years of accumulated paint and rust from a part and having it come out like new - a very zen-like experience.

1B34D4C9-21E1-4FB3-A150-AAC896BB1DFD.jpeg

Not sure what to do about the hinges. Looks like they were plated and the rubber is shot. They were rusty, so I blasted them, zinc and all. Should I replate them? Paint and calk? Any source for new rubber? Also considered quick hinges but they are really expensive.

Got played.
Painter started with the tub... underneath the primer (where there should have been fresh steel since it was blasted) was paint and rust. The “blaster” just sanded a bit and primed over everything. Wtf. Can’t really do anything about it since everything is locked down because of Coronavirus. Just going to have to have it done again and pay double. There is no way I’m paying to have it blocked and painted with rust underneath.

Well the build continues... wire wheeled the engine, metal prep, prime and paint. Used rattlecan duplicolor engine epoxy. Went ok, but the primer went on a bit flakey - I had to wire brush between coats to get it smooth with good adhesion. Pics in steel and after metal prep.

A9E7DC74-BFE1-404D-A614-76B9CB30EFED.jpeg

F5BE8146-0F24-4D0C-8F76-5145F5A96C0A.jpeg

To keep rust away on a steel tub in the north east is going to be tough. All the spot welded seams will need to be seam sealed. You will also want to try to get some sort of coating between the spot welds in the seams. All the enclosed channels you will want to coat on the inside, a steel 40 body has many. When I moved to the North East I didn't bring my 40. It's a harsh environment. Galvanizing the frame is a good move.

To keep rust away on a steel tub in the north east is going to be tough. All the spot welded seams will need to be seam sealed. You will also want to try to get some sort of coating between the spot welds in the seams. All the enclosed channels you will want to coat on the inside, a steel 40 body has many. When I moved to the North East I didn't bring my 40. It's a harsh environment. Galvanizing the frame is a good move.
Yeah, I used weld through primer for most areas, epoxy for some ( like the wheel well supports). Don’t use the cheap stuff, welds terribly.

That's a bad beat on the painter. There's a guy out in Lucketts VA who has a mobile media blasting service. Might be a good idea to blast everything then take it to the next painter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom