Keep Original Versus Tasteful Upgrades? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently purchased an 85 FJ60 with 132K miles and I am the second owner. There's zero rust as it spent most of it's life in CA and AZ. It's all original with the exception of an aluminum radiator, stereo and OME steering stabilizer. I'm currently using it as an occasional DD and sporadic trips to the mountains.

I'm debating keeping it as original as I can versus doing some upgrades. The upgrades would be an OME lift, wheels/tires, ARB bull bar and possibly an upgrade to a 5-speed. I would imagine more upgrades beyond that if/when I decide to go down that path (like V8 conversion, etc.). One of the reasons I'm on the fence now is that it's in need of new shocks and spring bushings so I'm teetering between just replacing with OEM parts or doing an OME lift.

The purist in me screams to keep it original and in top working order and the other part of me wants to add a bunch of upgrades and make it a true overlander.

My question to the masses is: should I keep the rig original or start down the path of adding aftermarket upgrades?

Let me begin by saying Welcome to Mudsanity :flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2: (official Mud welcome). I honestly can't answer your question everyone here will sure to tell you do what you want with it, it's your rig at the end of the day and you get to enjoy driving it. I would begin to just baseline everything and make it a safe ride for you and your family then you can go from there only your wallet will dictate what can and you cannot do at a certain time I have owned my 60 since 2007 and I'm still hoarding parts as we speak and she just got a new clutch and all the trimmings that come withe that job but she is on a non-op for the meantime she needs tires and a new suspension. Post some pics of your ride coz I know most of us here would love to see it.:cheers:;)

Before I forget learn to use Search and go to FAQ before posting any random questions.;)

A totally personal decision. I have an FJ62 with 240k. I looked for and found a rig that was mostly stock but needed work. I decided to keep it that way since I wasn’t planing on extreme off-road use.
Found OEM seat fabric covers at SOR (expensive but worth it to me) got their modified OME “grocery getter” leaf springs since it was the only way to stay stock height (and my old springs rode like a jackhammer) Man it rides smooth.

Reverted to an OEM radio but frankly...that stunk. Ended up installing a Pioneer with Apple car play , Bluetooth and XM radio.
Lightly tinted the windows with high end ceramic (like 25%) including the windshield to keep it cool inside.

Used @dnp carpet kit and threw some dynamite under it.

I get a lot of street cred for being original but there is nothing wrong with modifying these rigs.

Also - I wasn’t able to do a Big Bend state park cruiser trip because I didn’t have the tread or ground clearance needed.

Most of the mods you are suggesting are reversible. Keep the old parts, modify it, and enjoy it. The V8 engine swap is not reversible and if I were going that far, I'd look for one that was already modified and sell the one you have.

Welcome neighbor. I think I have seen you driving that thing around. Funny you notice all cruisers of all years once you own one. haha. My opinion is to make that thing your own. Drive it, have fun with it and upgrade and change whatever makes that rig your own. I know its not the best advice but I used to be a purist at heart with motorcycles and vehicles. Then I started to mess around by modifying and adding my own touches to the rig. Just my 2 cents. I also agree with @SteveH. Keep all the original parts. I once had a older triumph that I modified the s*** out of. One day I was kinda over it and changed everything back to almost stock. Glad I kept all those parts. ;)

In my opinion, completely stock Toyotas are boring to own. What fun is that? It's like a rolling museum piece or a future investment for selling it down the line (once again... what fun is that?).

It's your cruiser now, do with it what you want. If you want to profile around in a boring stock vehicle for nostalgia sake, don't alter a thing (and yawn). If you want to improve on the many parts of the cruiser that certainly can use improvement, go at it. IMO, a stock cruiser is the starting point to making it the vehicle you want. Not the end game.

All the upgrades I made to my old cruiser made it such a better, more capable vehicle. Personally... I don't think I'd even want to own a stock 60.

Better bumpers and sliders will keep the hard to replace parts more original after minor fender benders. Stock bumper give the sheet metal and frame zero protection. Fortunately for Cruiser owners, new cars have crush zones. It's our duty to take advantage. Be the hammer not the
beer can

The way I look at is this-you need to mod it to fit the way YOU want or need to use it. I love seeing a nice restored 60. But, there's no way I could have one and still use it. I need my 60 to haul dogs, camping/hunting gear, move kayaks, mountain bikes. I need it to get me out in the middle of nowhere and get back. So, suspension, winch etc are part of it.

I still debate whether to stop modding and sell the 60 while it's still worth some money, then buy a 100 series or another tundra. But, still love the 60 and enjoying driving something basic and classic looking.

The answers you are and will continue to receive are as varied as the photos of the rigs the folks responding are driving. The definitive answer is, it is your truck do to it what makes you smile.
If it truly makes you happy, does not matter what you do to it. Heck, in some parts of the world they chop the tops off and mount a 50 cal in the back. You don't hear anyone giving the "Skinnies" s*** about butchering their classic Land Cruiser. :)

If you are going to use the truck I don't think there is any way you can realistically get away with not modifying it some from completely stock. It was designed for a different time and struggles to keep up in the modern world. I am in a similar boat as you. All stock daily driver truck and mostly original parts. I am a purist to a fault and prolly fall more into the boring museum piece camp than most on here. But I think some of the drivability mods available such as modern suspension and the 5-speed swap offer such performance gains that even I could overlook them from an originality standpoint. If you kept it COMPLETELY stock, I think few would really enjoy it that way. And then what would you have. I have resisted doing a suspension lift on it same as you. But as a result I would not feel right about taking it out on a trail right now. Sure it looks great sitting there but I don't do much with it as a result of its lack of modifications. So which is better?

I look at the originality idea like this: In my case someone took great pains to keep this thing original and taken care of for 30+ years. It somehow managed to escape the chopped up rust-ridden demise many of these trucks end up in all the while retaining its time-tested engineering. To me its a feat to remain relatively unchanged in the 175,000 mile journey to my driveway. Who am I to then come along and dismiss all that effort by modifying it like crazy. I always felt I had an obligation to keep that going as much as I could. But the reality is if I kept mine stock as I bought it, I wouldn't enjoy it as much as I do. So it was worth it to me despite hits on its originality. I'd say use it and build it for your use. I think you can get a lot of key improvements done without sacrificing the basic originality. As @OSS points out there are things available for these trucks today that are just better than Mr. T put on them originally. I would take advantage of that as much as possible. If you have any ideas of overlanding with it then build it to overland.

Some great examples of trucks that have been modified while keeping originality. I like the mods that @EscapeWagon62 has done. Truck looks original but offers improved usability. One of my favorite 60 series on this board was @FARMAN33's build (which I think is now sold)found here. Improved stance from stock IMO and many drivability improvements. @Javelin's is another standout IMO with many small improvements while retaining originality. I have never understood the need for folks to take these trucks and have to chop them up or do SOA conversions on them. For me if I gotta do that kind of stuff to make it what I want its prolly not the right vehicle to begin with. Its certainly not wrong, but just not for me.

I'll echo what other have said here. Originality is great but using the truck for what you want is even better.

What's your FJ60's production date? Toyota changed to a 4-speed with extension housing in 4/85, so the transmission's the same length as the H55f 5-speed. That makes the conversion a piece of cake. The only new/remanufactured parts you'll need are what's required for a routine clutch replacement - rear main seal, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, clutch disc and pressure plate, and flywheel bolts. And have your flywheel resurfaced.

I installed an H55f in my '86 FJ60, along with the 3FE, transfer case, and 4.11 axles from my '89 FJ62 donor vehicle. I installed an OME suspension and am running BFG LT235/85R16 ATs on Toyota 70-Series 16" wheels. I built it to drive fairly long distances at highway speed plus have low gearing when I get to the trails. The combination is absolutely fantastic.

fj60-lift-1-jpg.1806198

It's also easy to upgrade your front windshield wipers to late-'90s 4-Runner arms (two LH arms) and blades. And FJ80 rear wipers arm and blade. A MUD search will give you all the information you need.

Having had my rig since 1990 or so, there is no way I would have kept it stock. Many of the mods I have done could be categorized as upgrades and overall improvememts while maintaining the trucks identity as an FJ60. I looked at many improvements that are within the worldwide 6#s design that make it better such as Euro mirrors (improved visibility) 5 speed (driveability), the 62 rear axle sway bar (suspension), inclinometer (cool factor), passenger grab bar (wife oh shi** safety factor)...a few that come to mind.
Whatever you end up doing, enjoy it or sell it.
Cheers and welcome to the madness.

It is yours! I LOVE putting "stuff" on 60s. It is a very cool looking and versitile platform for mods (bumpers, sliders, racks and such).

I was in a similar situation with mine (low mileage rust free original) and fought EVERY day not to f**k it up. I enjoyed the build but it was unlike any other I have done. There is a lot you can do in the framework of a "stealth build" (best of which is the H55f).

My advice would be to drive it awhile and let it talk to you. It will tell you what it wants! There really are no wrong answers (other than bobbing and bedding).

Think this.

IMG_1220.JPG

NOT THIS!!!

12289616_533040126865127_5955619794229022192_n.jpg

Last edited:
A lot of really wise advice/viewpoints here. You might think of it this way...look at it short term and long term with this perspective. How will I satisfy myself with these three "custom" factors: Lifestyle; Expectations; and Budget.

Lifestyle=How will I use it? Daily driver? Percentage of on/off-road driving?. Expectations=What do you expect from it mechanically and aesthetically? How much "umph" do you want from the engine/drive train (might affect your tranny decisions)? Do you expect high reliability? What impression do you want when you step out and see it on the driveway or on the trail? Budget=Well, you know that is dynamic for 60/62 Cruisers.

In terms of "long term," consider where you want it to be in terms of personal/family and market value down the road. If you want it to have significant value down the road, you are wise to keep it somewhat middle of the road attractive to potential buyers (or your heirs). Like others have said, purely exotic customizations might be a lot of fun in the short term and be fine if that is your decision. Will such customizations be attractive to a broad market of potential buyers down the road? Mods that are a very safe investment are the OME suspension, aftermarket bumpers (but keep the OEM in storage), and even the 5-speed transmission (maybe more so with an FJ62). General good maintenance pays, too...as the previous owner has demonstrated.

Good luck. Show us your progress.

Last edited:
It is yours! I LOVE putting "stuff" on 60s. It is a very cool looking and versitile platform for mods (bumpers, sliders, racks and such).

I was in a similar situation with mine (low mileage rust free original) and fought EVERY day not to f**k it up. I enjoyed the build but it was unlike any other I have done. There is a lot you can do in the framework of a "stealth build" (best of which is the H55f).

My advice would be to drive it awhile and let it talk to you. It will tell you what it wants! There really are no wrong answers (other than bobbing and bedding).

Think this.

View attachment 1871862

NOT THIS!!!

12289616_533040126865127_5955619794229022192_n.jpg
LMAO! That photo is hilarious!

That's a gorgeous photo of the Cruiser in the top photo! I like that front plate. I've not seen that one before. Custom or did you source it somewhere?

Last edited:
Keep it OG....
Once you start molesting them rigs..... there is no stopping in sight....
BUT...... but.... it is one helluva ride...!!!

Keep it OG....
Once you start molesting them rigs..... there is no stopping in sight....
BUT...... but.... it is one helluva ride...!!!

What he said :)

35545486_1955536494477232_3142872808820834304_n.jpg

@fjobsessor as everyone has already mentioned, it is what you make it. I don't have any advice for which direction to go.

But I would say as a starting point that the most important is to baseline everything. If you are not thinking about a swap, make sure your 3FE is up to the task for DD or anything for that matter. Go through each system and make sure its in great shape.

New vacuum lines, gaskets, thermostat, cooling system, etc. It will take you a while to do this and get you in a great position no matter which way you choose to go with the rig.

Welcome to MUD!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom