Early FJ60 Power Steering Gearbox Upgrades? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have some play in the power steering gearbox of my '83 FJ60. Before I go down the path of rebuilding or replacing the stock style power steering gearbox, I started reading forum posts about power steering gearbox upgrades. It seems putting 80-series power steering gearboxes on later 60-series is a common upgrade. I think 4/85 and later 60-series share the bolt pattern with 80-series. From what I understand, you can't install an 80-series unit on an early 60-series.

So I am wondering if there are any power steering upgrades available for the early 60-series? Or are my only options overhauling/replacing my stock/original unit? If overhauling or replacing the stock style box is the only option I'll do it, but if there is an available upgrade, I'm all about it. This is a daily driver (wife drives it mainly), so my goal is making it as highway-friendly as possible (reduce the wondering), without changing tire size. Doesn't get wheeled very often, and when it does it is mild.

Our '83 60 has a 5.3 LS swap with the donor vehicle (2005 Tahoe) power steering pump with lines adapted to run the original power steering gearbox. 33x10.50x15 tires.

you have to resleeve the frame to install the 80 box on a pre 85. Not worth it in my opinion.

I agree that resleeving the frame for the later gearbox is probably not worth it. Didn't know if there are other upgrade/modification options. Not interested in hydraulic ram assist steering either, since it's a daily driver and I want steering feedback on the highway.

Anyone have any experience with these units: Power Steering Gearbox – Land Cruiser FJ60 FJ62 – JT Outfitters - https://www.jtoutfitters.com/product/power-steering-gearbox-land-cruiser-fj60-fj62? I like the idea of re-machined gears. I don't want to just overhaul mine by replacing seals if there is gear wear.

If not the one above, anyone have other recommendations on where to get a quality overhauled unit with like-new gear play/backlash, instead of just replaced seals and new paint?

Last edited:
Not interested in hydraulic ram assist steering either, since it's a daily driver and I want steering feedback on the highway.

This isn’t really true, it depends on the size and mounting geometry of the ram.

that being said a ram assist for 31’s or 33’s is overkill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom