Builds Just another 79 build..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That Taco looks amazing. Thanks for the pictures and setting the bar high for all of us.

It's been a long time since an update. Just turned 15,000 miles on the 79. I've loved every mile. Haven't had to do a thing to it other than change the oil. It's been a great truck. Took it on a few good trips....fun stuff. Just waiting for a nice 4 door cab pickup to come my way one of these days.....

Picked up a neat old 1963 40 from Montana.....snapped a pic of the 2 of them.

20170609_192352_HDR.jpg

I've heard all about your troopy....sounds like a fun build. Stop on by anytime....we have a pile of Cruisers in here....I'd love to see your truck.

The 40 is really clean....all complete too. A little rot in the far back sill but that's not the end of the world. Ive only seen a few that haven't been rusty back there. This little truck was definitely used though....every panel is somehow dented or distorted.

IMG_20170509_231649_282.jpg

Reactions: Gus
We have this pretty cool Icon D200 at the shop. Neat build with impeccable build quality. Huge dollar build. I'll take the 79. Probably a dozen 79s for what that Icon cost.

P6028056.JPG

P5107676.JPG

PB144824.JPG

And this old girl is in the shop getting some 'updates'.

P4287478#1.JPG

P4287480.JPG

Lots of progress today. Finally put the bed and body together on the newly stretched frame. Obviously we still have a lot of fab work left as well as getting the body exactly where we want it but this is pretty much going to be where everything goes. Monday we'll finish the welds on the frame(the inner channel was made today), get the lower locating bar mounts back in, tidy up any thing that we need to and start figuring out the front mounts for the cab and the bed. I would also like to start thinking about the gas tank location next week so we can start getting that ready. Hoping to have the frame done by the end of April so we can get it out for blasting/coating.

I included a pic of the lock set for you gifu. This was the 4 piece set.
View attachment 620990View attachment 620991View attachment 620992
anymore pictures of this frame stretch

Nice collection of old cruisers the 40 looks like the original owner looked after it then some one give her some hard time still she's very clean for her age good find.
I'm thinking the icon is a old international it looks familiar just cant put my finger on the body make.

Nice collection of old cruisers the 40 looks like the original owner looked after it then some one give her some hard time still she's very clean for her age good find.
I'm thinking the icon is a old international it looks familiar just cant put my finger on the body make.

It is a Dodge D200, MY 1965 if I'm not mistaken.

The Icon is a Dodge D200. Part of Icon's 'Reformer' group of cars(old restored body on a newer chassis). The D200 was the 2WD version of the Dodge Powerwagon....I believe it was more non-civilian too....military, utility usage. There are quite a few videos of this truck online. It's pretty cool.

The 40 got the snot beat out of it. i found it in a storage yard in MT....had been there for 20 years I think. I have the original title...supposedly a one owner truck. There isn't a straight panel on it BUT it's just about rust free...so that's good enough for me. I prefer these things to have their bumps and bruises.

anymore pictures of this frame stretch

I wish I had more pics of the frame stretch....we basically knew how far we wanted to go with it(13.5" I seem to recall), cut the frame, welded in a fixture to keep it all straight and then built our C channel pieces. We had an outer C channel made, rounded the edges, then we made an inner one(fit inside the outer C channel....and of course all that got welded up. Then we cut out our fixture we had made. The guy that did it was a whiz with that stuff...very very precise.

I think the frame was out by a tenth of an inch when we put it on the alignment rack. Not bad....especially considering this truck was T-boned and flipped before I got it. It was hit hard enough that the rear axle housing was bent.

P1010781.JPG

P1010813.JPG

P1010811.JPG

I totally forgot you stretched your frame!!! I just did this on my UTE build, wish I had this to reference when I was doing research. I added in the same spot, but did an inner sleeve

Beautiful build and Cruiser! Good on ya for not letting the "man" stop you from owning what you want.

I swapped an FJ62 onto an 80 chassis last summer. Fun project and a great base to build a unique truck off of.

Cheers

So what's the plan on your 40 full strip and rebuild or patina and back on the road. They don't come in that condition very often she would look good with some polish. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom