Builds CA18Sean's HJ75 Troopy - Build & Restore Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi! Long time searcher, new member. I've been coming to mud for years to find answers for my 1st gen 4Runner and more recently for my Land Cruiser. Figured it was time for a build thread.

1989 HJ75 Troop Carrier
2H Diesel H55F 5 Speed Manual
Aftermarket turbo (Turbo Dynamics) - Now Garrett upgrade
OME Lift
TJM Alloy Bumper
630K KM's (no documentation, but seller informed me it was rebuilt once before)

2a5f6525b517fd2c57077a9822ef3320.jpg

I've wanted a troopy for years, but they've always been way out of my budget. Came across this being sold by AUStoUSA on ih8mud. It has some rough rust repairs done (all sheetmetal, no frame or suspension rust) and the miles are high, but the price was right. It's always a gamble buying vehicles sight unseen, but this thing is actually nicer than I expected. Drives, steers, and brakes very well. Doesn't drip oil in my garage. Rust is really not that bad. About the only problems are that the driver window was busted out during shipping and getting a replacement is taking some time (went though cruiserparts.net), and getting the registration paperwork from AUStoUSA is taking awhile. I will update if the paperwork turns into a major problem, but as it's not my daily and I don't plan on driving it for some time I'm just being patient with that. They seem like a pretty reputable importer so far.

Preliminary plans include:
-Upgrade tires to 255/85R16 Toyo Open Country MT
-Repair Rust - weld/patch/POR15 everything - planning on pulling all the windows and repairing any rust I can find
-Custom sliders for the side
-Custom drawers for the back
-Roof rack to hold my roof top tent
-Bedline the bumpers and sliders black
-Enjoy it! :)

***Current Pic***
Untitled by CA18 Sean, on Flickr

Last edited:
Since I was unable to find a local tire shop willing to touch my OEM split rims, I took it upon myself to figure out how to get them apart and back together again myself. Bought a neat little bead breaking tool called a BeadBuster XB-450. Got new tubes and flaps from summit racing.

579a27d77b5fa0fe5c2d1ca28cf2fd10.jpg

71ruJhn%2B%2B0L._SL1437_.jpg

Then I test fit one of my new Toyo tires... looks AWESOME.

543cd1c27832b74220877adb6d036273.jpg

633f75e5f55d5e9d8868f187e38d0944.jpg

I can't mount them all up yet, the troopy BARELY fits in my garage with the stock tires, and I can't leave it outside because of the broken driver side window :/

So I dismounted the Toyo tire and took all 5 wheels up to be powdercoated. Dark Gray.

2b657730be41a62067196c6e64a833c5.jpg

The KPH only on the gauge cluster bothered me as well. I did some research and was unable to find an overlay that converted my gauge to MPH. I did however find that Canadian BJ70's have a dual KPH/MPH cluster, but finding one of those is turning out to be much harder than I though it would be. If anyone has a lead on a BJ70 being parted out, please let me know! I would like to grab some interior trim pieces as well... I need a glove box liner but I'm not sure if RHD and LHD use the same glove box.

So for now, I took apart an old 1st gen 4Runner gauge cluster I had in the garage and trimmed the speedometer to fit. Since the HJ75 gauge cluster lights up from around the gauges rather than through the gauges, I was able to just stack the new gauge face on top of the old one. My speedometer needle was damaged, so I switched to the 4Runner speedometer needle, but that wasn't a necessary step of the process. It looks pretty good, and seems to be working right, so this will do for now :)

cd87010e344ae10afee88bf93f7e3ece.jpg

Sweet rig! Parts can be a little difficult to source but with more
7x series arriving in the US, it's getting better...

Welcome to 'MUD
Welcome to the 75 Series Owners Club. (Much like the Marines, we are the few and the proud)
With 10 post you get the t-shirt and a link to the "secret hand" shake.

Last edited:
Registered! Thanks for the link, I thought I registered earlier but that was a different thread :)

Anyone else have suggestions for sourcing glass? I'm going to call cruiser parts in a few to see if there's a status update on my window. I got the rest of the parts from them relatively quickly (belts, hoses, seals, emblems), but I'd love to be able to put the truck outside.

Nice rig! when I owned my Panamanian HJ47, I had to go to a couple places before I found someone willing to mess with the oem splits. I think it helped by me buying 4 bfg km2 255x85x16s from him. I think that's a perfect size tire.

image.jpg
The part of the speedometer above 70 mph (~ 115kph) can also be trimmed away. :)

Also pulled the drawers out of my 4Runner. I think they're going to fit perfectly with the back seat in the troopy. I couldn't test fit because my wife couldn't pick them up. Lol. Measurements look like it's just going to squeak in there!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437613420.507361.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437613431.125125.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437613439.289447.jpg

And finally a box of all the fun seals, bearings, belts, filters, etc. that will be installed as soon as she's registered and I can drive up to my shop. Much better doing that work on a lift in my opinion!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437613501.961226.jpg

Nice. Did you say what size those Toyos are?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom