Jim S. FJ40 Tuneup (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Picked up a new toy, was on sale and used a 20% off coupon: Ultrasonic Cleaner - 2.5 Liter

Has turned out to be a real time saver! It does a great job of cleaning small parts, a real pain to do by hand. We started out using Costco degreaser, worked OK. Dennis came over and edumacated us on what to use in it, ended up with drain clog clearing crystals (lye, sodium hydroxide), much more powerful!:hillbilly:

Will likely switch often between plain water and chems, depending on what we are cleaning. It's only 2.5L, so easy to dump, clean, change.

Not the best pix, it knocks the crusted grime off, removes or loosens paint, so a quick touch of a brush knocks it off while rinsing with water. Doesn't do much with rust, the chems needed would remove all of the plating from the hardware.
2fe_project_76.jpg

2fe_project_77.jpg

2fe_project_78.jpg

Last edited:
The stock bracket and pedal pivot shaft were very worn, didn't have any bushings.

my old pedal had big grooves on the pivot shaft, too - because I wanted the hand throttle attachment tab, I ordered a pedal from Specter, which was a used one and turned out to be only slightly less grooved :doh: - I used thick washers to mask the grooves, which made it more difficult to get everything in due to higher tension of the spring on the shaft, but I managed afterall

(when I ordered the other pedal, Marv himself told me on the phone a new one was a million and a used one only half of that :lol: - my advice to anyone buying a pedal for whatever reason, save yourself the headache of the grooves, get a new one :doh:)

Last edited:
It's relativity easy to referb the pedal using the bushings/parts from a later pedal. The ones from Camry, Corolla, etc, look to be usable for donor parts. Will have to shoot better pix of what we did, should net a smooth acting pedal the will last just about forever.

The donor pedal had the hand throttle attachment tab, didn't like it for our use, so cut it off, will be welding something better on.

Looking good guys. Hopefully I'll have the right boot/seal headed your way tomorrow.

That boot shipment was yum!:cool: Oh,,, it is the correct boot.

Damn Pa, you got skillz yo!!

:lol: :doh:

More ultrasonic action. Some of the hardware liberated on Monday's pick & pull run.
2F_project_100.jpg

2F_project_101.jpg

Last edited:
Coolant routing has been a challenge, the 3FE stuff routes it very differently than the 2F. One of the issues was the line from the water pump to the bypass portion of the thermostat housing to provide bypass/warmup flow.

We struck out on finding anything that goes from 3/8 npt to 1" barb. Found a PEX cap that fit perfect, has nice ribs to hold the hose, just had to install a threaded hole.
2F_project_102.jpg

2F_project_103.jpg

2F_project_104.jpg

Last edited:
We are converting the vapor recovery system to totally vacuum, need a spot for the temp valve, but all of the thermostat holes are in use. So had to install a threaded hole in the last blank boss.
2F_project_107.jpg

2F_project_108.jpg

Last edited:
When installing the earlier type thermostat, don't forget the upper seal. It seals the bypass, if not will lose some coolant flow.
2F_project_109.jpg

Last edited:
Another coolant flow issue was the oil cooler and heater, having enough connections of the right type, suction, pressure, etc. Had to bring the oil cooler output under the harmonic balancer, using a tube off of Bryan's parts rig. Used the 2F heater line to sneak the input behind the distributor.
2F_project_110.jpg

2F_project_111.jpg

Last edited:
Under the intake plenum and behind the head, used these HD clamps to hold the harness in place. First put a couple of wraps of thick splicing tape, then electrical tape to provide some cushion, prevent chafing.
2F_project_112.jpg

Last edited:
We only needed one VSV, to control the fuel pressure regulator. Mounted it to the plenum, close to the action.
2F_project_113.jpg

Last edited:
Waiting on a couple of key parts, but other than that, it is becoming difficult to find excuses as to why it is still sitting on the ground? Looks about ready to jump into the rig?:hillbilly:
2F_project_114.jpg

2F_project_115.jpg

Last edited:
Looking forward to pics of it in the rig later today ;)

It is looking good Kevin and company!!

:cool:

Looking forward to pics of it in the rig later today ;)

It is looking good Kevin and company!!
Hoping to drive it to the meeting tonight, but there is a slim chance that not all critical parts will arrive in time to facilitate realization of that goal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom