Is the OME FZJ80 audio Amplifier worth keeping? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm installing a new Sony XAV-AX100 AV receiver that comes with a 4 x 55W power plant, my question is should bypass the FZJ80 OME audio amplifier or do you think it's worth keeping?

Pretty sure no one has ever managed to use it with aftermarket receivers and not have constant buzz. I am running an alpine with no amp and it pushes pretty well for 4x52w. I was planning to add an aftermarket amp when the speakers broke in and i decided they were just fine without one.

OME = Old Man Emu
OEM = Original equipment manufacturer :)

Thanks guys for the prompt and synced feedback. That said, I am but a new pup in the Land Cruiser mud, as I was lucky enough to score a 1997 FZJ 80 with 150,00 miles, the interior is spotless and the body, aside from needing a little wheel well repainting is perfect. I’m thinking about taking out a second on my mortgage to start really fixing it up! Just kidding, sora!

I have also heard that if you leave the stock amp plugged in with and aftermarket head unit it can get hot and be a fire hazard. I unplugged mine and it was fine. I actually recently removed it all together because I ran across some Rockford 4" speakers and threw them in the dash for kicks. The passenger side wouldn't fit with the stock amp in place so that got 86'd.

bypass, remove and toss it into the trash, or proper recycling container.

Thanks guys for the prompt and synced feedback. That said, I am but a new pup in the Land Cruiser mud, as I was lucky enough to score a 1997 FZJ 80 with 150,00 miles, the interior is spotless and the body, aside from needing a little wheel well repainting is perfect. I’m thinking about taking out a second on my mortgage to start really fixing it up! Just kidding, sora!

Yeah, I'd toss it and welcome to the mud world. Here's your official salute :flipoff2:

Check out the other thread where someone did a complete install writeup with this Sony head unit.

Bypass. I will have to redo my wiring to bypass mine! The factory amp is a noisy Piece of Crap... If your head unit puts out 30+w a channel save yourself from the headache and act like it doesn't exist.... Easy peasy to run wires from the HU(radio) to the amp harness (UNPLUGGED:)) ... Just my 2 cents....
Ed

Does anyone run the factory head unit with an aftermarket amp?

@tacocat is that a good reason? I have a suspicion that an old used after market cassette deck would still be a good improvement.

In my taco i had. For a while I modded the stock stereo for an amp and bluetooth but that was just because I didn't want people lifting the stereo. Once i was in A better neighborhood i went aftermarket using the same amp...sound quality was no comparison.

@tacocat is that a good reason? I have a suspicion that an old used after market cassette deck would still be a good improvement.

In my taco i had. For a while I modded the stock stereo for an amp and bluetooth but that was just because I didn't want people lifting the stereo. Once i was in A better neighborhood i went aftermarket using the same amp...sound quality was no comparison.
There really isn’t a good reason to keep the stock radio, unless you only listen to AM/FM or CDs.

The stock deck is interesting as it has no power output and requires An external amp. I suppose one could use a non-powered wire to RCA output.

Why in the blazes would anyone do that, unless you have a massive collection of cassette tapes you bought new at Sam Goody?
I like the OG look and have a massive CD collection.

Still rockin the columbia house CD club?

1611938777756.png
1611938818111.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom