Sony XAV-AX100 Install w/ Backup Cam (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lately, I've been on track to modernize the Cruiser a bit. I've owned it for over 10 years now, and aside from getting t-boned, I don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon. And Thanksgiving was a pretty good time for deals this year.

I ended up snatching a Viper 5806v security and remote start system for $139. Called around to a couple local shops and had one install it for $315. I didn't want some high schooler from Best Buy tearing up the wiring harness. But that's not what this thread is about.

Was able to snatch a Sony XAV-AX100(http://a.co/1pVc8wd) stereo on an Amazon warehouse deal for $297. Then grabbed an Esky 170 degree backup camera(http://a.co/c4EQQTb) in a license plate frame for $26.

Using the Metra 70-1761 harness was a snap. It automatically bypasses the factory amp. I soldered and shrink wrapped the wires. On the Sony, I also ended up grounding the parking brake wire to the ground wire.

metra.harness.jpg

I ran the microphone wire up and around the driver side footwell, then up the a-pillar to the visor. All while tucking the wire into the windshield gasket. Worked great for concealing the wire.

mic.a.pillar.jpg

mic.mount.jpg

I then ran the video wire in a similar fashion, but then took it all along the driver side floor area. Neatly tucking it under the plastic snap pieces and back through the rear tire jack storage area. Then along under the back carpet cover trim piece until I dropped it down to the tailgate wire run and back to the license plate frame.

tailgate.wire.hide.jpg

metra.harness.jpg

Last edited:
The license plate frame was pretty easy. Needed to remove the tailgate carpet and then the running light bracket above the license plate. Was able to run the wires right up into one of the light cavities to connect with the other wires for video, power and ground.

license.plate.frame.jpg

Snaking the wire through the tailgate loom was a bit tricky. I ended up using a large flat head screw driver to gently push the head of the RCA cable through. Then a regular snake for the power and ground wires.

Once into the rear storage area for the driver side reverse light. There is a black with red stripe and a white with black stripe that I used to tap into. I verified these were the correct wires by putting the car into reverse in ON(motor off).

reverse.light.power.ground.wires.jpg

That is the loom you'll want to disconnect from the rear tail light. It's different color on the other side, but I didn't have enough wire to play with to tap it on the light side.

reverse.light.camera.power.jpg

Once that was done, it was working great on the trigger. Oh yeah, the trigger. I triggered the deck off the driver side kick panel wire. No issues there.

camera.in.action.jpg

Last edited:
The ugliest part of this job was probably my USB mount. My dremel was making a mess of the little plastic piece next to the cigarette lighter. But it works.

usb.dash.plug.jpg

Other than that, the install was pretty painless.

Sony xav-ax100 impression:

I strictly bought it for the ease of use. I wanted a stereo that replicated something from an OEM build. It's a very simple deck that supports Carplay and Android Auto. The rotary dial provides great tactile feedback. The 2 biggest pet peeves are the startup nag screen and the tuner presets saving channel info instead of by channel number. The nag screen does not timeout. You must hit OK to continue. Fortunately, superdavex(GitHub - superdavex/Sony-XAV-AX100) found a way to remove the nag screen and his patch worked great!

sony.installed.jpg

Last edited:
Nice, I just installed a Kenwood, need to do the rear camera.

Nice, I just installed a Kenwood, need to do the rear camera.

Did you grab the Kenwood unit with Carplay/Android Auto? How do you like it?

Then along under the back carpet cover trim piece until I dropped it down to the tailgate wire run and back to the license plate frame.

If you want to avoid pinching that wire, you can pull the carpet up a bit more and find an existing hole to run the wire to the underside of the body. Then you can thread into that rubber tube from the back side. If you wanted to get really tricky, I bet you could tap the unused connector wires for the auxiliary tank (right behind where that rubber tube goes), and find matching wires in the unused connectors in the dash...

If you want to avoid pinching that wire, you can pull the carpet up a bit more and find an existing hole to run the wire to the underside of the body. Then you can thread into that rubber tube from the back side. If you wanted to get really tricky, I bet you could tap the unused connector wires for the auxiliary tank (right behind where that rubber tube goes), and find matching wires in the unused connectors in the dash...

Ah, thanks! Once the weather gets a little warmer, I'll see about re-routing the power and ground wires for the camera.

Now with custom Land Cruiser startup image!

Thanks to superdavex, he has made a way to modify the startup image on the Sony XAV-AX100. Tried it out tonight. Pretty easy.

IMG_20180111_163841.jpg

If anyone wants this image, you can grab it here --> Custom Land Cruiser Image.

You need to be on superdavex's modified firmware that removes the caution screen to run this mod. Below is what the directory structure of your USB needs to look like to flash it. After you have copied all those files to your USB root, stick it in and it'll automatically restart the unit. No need to run through the firmware update screens for this one.

usb_root:\usbexecute
usb_root:\flash_erase
usb_root:\newlogo.img

What is the response speed like? Once booted up is it laggy? Debating between this unit and Pioneer NEX2300.

Great write up. I installed the same stereo in December from Crutchfield for $350. Now you’ve motivated me to add the backup camera and custom start screen!

I really like the unit and having CarPlay and hands free calling is very nice.

What is the response speed like? Once booted up is it laggy? Debating between this unit and Pioneer NEX2300.

Only lag that I really notice is switching from Android Auto back to the Sony UI via the menu button. Takes a long second. But it's still not that bad. Overal the UI is pretty snappy.

Did it fit right in the oem dash radio spot, or did you have to trim the dash opening for it to fit?

Fit was great, no trimming required. Nice and snug. Looks like it was meant for the LC dash. heh

Awesome write-up. Thanks for the help.

25567281-D5D7-40E7-9225-E97F71758534.jpeg

That looks very cool

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom