Installed speakers in my fj40... pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, with winter rapidly approaching here in Colorado, I thought it was time to put the hard top back on this week. I had recently installed a new CD/Ipod headunit from Sony (I am an Alpine guy, but the price on the Sony combined with a gift card help me make the new choice ;) ). I wanted a new headunit that could run an ipod which this one can.

I used to install car audio systems as a part time job in college so I thought I'd share my speaker panel with you and give anyone out there a few tips if they want to copy it.

First off, a FJ40 is not where you should put a lot of $$$$ into a stereo... there is too much metal to actually get decent sound quality out of it. I have said it before, but you can spend all the coin in the world and throw it at a FJ40 but you are still going to have an install in an overgrown tuna fish can ;)

Enough chit-chat... I installed two 6.5" component speakers from Alpine, that I have had laying around for some time. My install is super simple, I cut a few peices of plywood to match the profile of the roof contour, wrapped it in marine grade vinyl, cut out holes for the speakers, installed some foam baffles (this alone will make your poopy speakers sound MUCH better, and keep the rear of the speakers out of the elements). Wir them up and whoa-la!

While I was at it I installed a dome light with manul switch. For the summer... I will put the speakers into the half doors I am making this winter :D but I will probably go with Alpines new 7" two way marine speakers, as they can really take the elements with no concerns.

I should have cut out a section of the front panel to create a storage shelf, but oh well, maybe next time ;)

Hope this helps someone out...
DSC06692.jpg
DSC06694.jpg
DSC06701.JPG

did ya just angle it up there to make it stay or something?

did ya just angle it up there to make it stay or something?

I just used cardboard cutouts to make a template of how it needed to be shaped, the vinyl wrap makes for a nice "tight" fit. There are no fasteners holding it in, and it hasn't moved in years.

I NEED 1! w/a slot to put my cd player in who do i send the check to? haha

looks great :beer:

I just used cardboard cutouts to make a template of how it needed to be shaped, the vinyl wrap makes for a nice "tight" fit. There are no fasteners holding it in, and it hasn't moved in years.

well i more meant how it is resting up top.
like the speaker mount thingy i assume had to angle into place where the sides made it a tight fit and the bottom rest on the space above the doors.

EDIT:

nevermid, I just realized the rear of the top is wider than the front.... not all there sometimes.

Nicely done. :cheers:

Can you hear it over the engine and drivetrain noise? :frown:

Nice job, I built one like that for my 45 that also houses the radio.

Yeah, that is a great idea, I have a tuffy stereo consol and that is where my headunit lives. However, I should have made a wide shelf where you stereo is located for sunglasses and maps, things like that.

Looks nice.

Drew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom