Close Gaps in Doors - Already Installed New Door Gaskets (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wait until the gaskets recede over time, and tighten the door latches. As long as the gasket surface is tight and there are no wind/water leaks, count your blessings ;)

Just installed new gaskets in the doors of an FJ40.

There are gaps - any way to close those gaps?

A picture or two of you gap problem would be helpful. Some gaps require hinge adjustment while others require latch adjustment and as mentioned some is just letting the new seal compress.

Year of the cruiser? That catch on the B pillar is adjustable. Picture of the catch and striker on the door would help. The style that ended 1/75 is prone to wear on both sections. That limits the amount of adjustment if well worn.

Not all weatherstripping is created equal. Depending on the year of your 40, you may still be able to get the weatherstripping from Toyota. I installed weatherstripping from a reputable vendor here on MUD on my '82 FJ40 and it was too thick and stiff. I had to move the adjustment on the latch to compensate for the thickness of the rubber. My doors stood proud even after several months of waiting and hoping for it to compress. I had to slam my doors to get them to close and I was afraid I would break the handle every time I opened them. I decided to spend the extra $ and get real Toyota weatherstripping and, whaddaya know, doors shut perfectly and seal up tight now.

Here are some pics of where the gaps are. Thought that it was a good install on the weatherstripping.

The gaps are at the back end of the door near the door handle and at the top.

20240109_140009.jpg

20240109_140021.jpg

I feel like maybe the door is too tight against the frame (inside hinge bolts) and the pressure of the over-compressed seal is stopping the rear seal from closing?

I JB welded a small flat brass piece in my striker grooves, works great to help close the door fully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom