Early FJ45 Tailgate Hinges (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know that these have been discontinued by Toyota, so I started looking for some one to repro these, this is what I came up with. there not an exact copy but close. let me know what you think. These are just samples, but getting the bends right took a while.

SOLD OUT
PB280222.jpg
Copy-1.jpg
Copy-2.jpg

Last edited:
looks nice

Looks good Mike!

When do we submit our orders?:D

Looks good Mike!

When do we submit our orders?:D

Thanks,
I'm working on that, the one thing I'm not happy with is the way the hinge pin is finished off. On the stock hinge, when pressed the pin end rolled over it's self, on the repro the steel in harder and it kind of shattered (see the pic above side view). were trying to work this out.

Wow, that looks great! That shattered pin end is the only thing I saw that looks like it could be improved. A little rounding of the corners on a grinder and some paint and you'll never see it's a repro. Great job.

Beautiful job! And just in time. I need 3 of 'em.

On the stock hinge, when pressed the pin end rolled over it's self, on the repro the steel in harder and it kind of shattered (see the pic above side view). were trying to work this out.

Those look great! Could you anneal the end of the pin that will be getting peened over, to soften it up?

Those look great! Could you anneal the end of the pin that will be getting peened over, to soften it up?

Nice!!
I have been wondering how to roll the hollow for the pin.. can you share or is that a secret?

I wish I had the skill to do this, but I don't. I'm having a machine shop do the work, and they are going to try a different approch on the pin. Also for those that are wondering I have no idea on price yet, it's taken a lot of time to get to the point you see here.

Last edited:
Anybody know if the later trucks (78) use the same hinge.........I guess I could get off my ass, walk 30' and check.........

Yeah, they are the same, at least by eye. Though there are four of them. My pin is also different. The pins on mine are hammered with a punch that makes four little bulges to retain it. I took several pics but I need a new camera.......this is the best one.....
HPIM1586.jpg
HPIM1586.jpg

The later 4 hinge talgates use a different hinge that is still avalible, the later hinge is wider and the bolt pattern is different then the early hinges.

Good to know - Thank you. I think mine are OK, but I haven't taken them off yet. They do look the same or similar design/shape just a little different I take it. :cheers:

I'm totally with Brett on the idea of warming the pin up before trying to flare it out.

The pins on my Ehsan hinges are solid stock, peened over on both ends. I'll try and get a pic.

Just a thot. Rather than put your guy in an ackward situation with the pins, why not just pay him to make the plates and have the pins done somewheres else. Shops that manufacure gates are pretty handy with welding and shaping pins.

Another thot. The SWB tailgate hinges are cotter pinned on one side, making them removable for servicing. I've thought on more than one occasion that it would be handy if the LWB hinges had a similar feature. It would make it a tad easier for those times you need to remove the gate as well, instead of unbolting. Hmmm.

Best

Mark A.

I'll take mine with the cotter pins. Good idea, and you might just be able to get clevis pins already made up for the hinge pins. My gate is missing the center hinge and the other 2 are all bent up and WELDED in place , so I'll be removing them with the angle grinder...:crybaby:

Something you might want to consider:

With the rarity and high cost of tailgates, are you making it easier for someone to steal your gate?
At least with closed-pin hinges, you can replace a few bolts with security-head bolts just to make it a bit tougher on the bad guys.

Just a thought.

If you are worried about theft, you could just tack weld the pin in place, or if you still want to be able to remove it, use a bolt, not a pin. Would take the bad guy a little longer to unbolt them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom