Installed Dobinson's 1.75 Inch Variable Rate Suspension Kit: C59 - 222V, C59 223V (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just received my C59-222V and C59-223V springs from Dobinsons today. I see they are marked left and right on the springs and I was wondering if that is how you guys installed yours? I know sometimes Australian companies setup for RHD so I’m unsure if I should install them opposite? Thanks for the reviews and information as I was undecided about springs for a few months.
Take the old springs out and see which one is taller to confirm. In my case the left side springs were slightly taller, which matched the left label on the dobinsons springs.

Before installing start soaking the shock mounts in penetrating oil.

PXL_20201226_175014382.jpg
PXL_20201226_175211402.jpg

Take the old springs out and see which one is taller to confirm. In my case the left side springs were slightly taller, which matched the left label on the dobinsons springs.

Before installing start soaking the shock mounts in penetrating oil.

View attachment 2545499View attachment 2545500

That is great advice. I unfortunately currently have Ironman springs (+front spacers) of which I’m hoping to lower it slightly and get a better ride as the back has there heavy load springs. It’s rough hitting potholes or speed bumps. On the bright side 200 miles ago I refreshed everything underneath and installed all new hardware. I live in the PNW and my LX450 doesn’t fit in the garage so I will be laying in the cold rain installing them and don’t want to have to swap them around after initial install .

@ZackR I was just working on this set up with crikeymike yesterday. Couple questions:
1) you went with the 220v springs in front, i have those in my cart too, but trying to decide if I should step up to the 222v. I'm only running a non-winch ARB bar up front, and no plans for 2nd battery....Feels like I'm still on 220v. How are those working for you? I'm also planning on the 223v in rear.
2) Did you consider the IMS shock (has anyone on this thread?) Seems to have a lot of benefits with only real downside being it is not adjustable like on the IFS rigs and its $$ over twin tubes. (I'm not sure I drive fast enough on washboards to really appreciate what IMS can do either).
3) why'd you go MAF drops vs bushings? I'm assuming I'd have to replace bushings anyway since they are over 200k.... (do you have sliders, does the MAFs work with them?)
4) no spacers, correct? I'd like to avoid them if possible.

@ZackR I was just working on this set up with crikeymike yesterday. Couple questions:
1) you went with the 220v springs in front, i have those in my cart too, but trying to decide if I should step up to the 222v. I'm only running a non-winch ARB bar up front, and no plans for 2nd battery....Feels like I'm still on 220v. How are those working for you? I'm also planning on the 223v in rear.
2) Did you consider the IMS shock (has anyone on this thread?) Seems to have a lot of benefits with only real downside being it is not adjustable like on the IFS rigs and its $$ over twin tubes. (I'm not sure I drive fast enough on washboards to really appreciate what IMS can do either).
3) why'd you go MAF drops vs bushings? I'm assuming I'd have to replace bushings anyway since they are over 200k.... (do you have sliders, does the MAFs work with them?)
4) no spacers, correct? I'd like to avoid them if possible.

I went with the 220V (+110lbs load) since I don't have a winch or bull bar at the moment, but I wanted to have extra overall load capacity. I'd probably go with the 222V if you have a bull bar and winch. The 223V (+220lbs load) on the rear rides high since I'm unloaded at the moment, but I have plans for a drawer system and wanted the extra capacity for when we are loaded down. I have run with about 300lbs in the back and it was nice and smooth.

I did not consider any of the new shocks, I'm not sure they were even an option when I ordered my kit back in September. The shocks that I have (GS59-683 front, GS59-682 rear) have worked great thus far. I've put about 1000 miles on the setup at this point and even on bumpy washboard roads the variable rate springs plus fresh shocks has made a drastic difference in smoothness and handling. I was on original 1994 springs that were sagging so the difference was impressive.

For caster correction I went with the MAF drop brackets for the following reasons:

- My usage does not include hard core rock crawling where clearance would be an issue
- I thought they would be easy to install (they were actually the hardest part of the whole installation since grinding + drilling was required to make them fit)
- My control arm bushings do need replacement (age not obvious damage) but they are in ok shape and I didn't want to tear into those just yet
- I didn't want to mess with caster bushings (no press easily available, plus reliability concerns) or caster drop brackets (no welder easily available)

As for the outcome I've been very pleased. The cruiser drives great on the highway, great on the trails, no vibrations, no twitchy handling, etc.. The only downer is that my older dog can't make the jump into the back on her own anymore (she tried but cased the landing pretty hard). Now I'm shopping for a dog ramp.🐶

1611698197080.png

1611698236358.png

1611698330823.png

1611698346340.png

1611698652815.png

@ZackR I was considering the MAF for the same reasons....might just take them to shop and have them pressed.
DOG RAMP, I'm with ya on that one. I'm going to need a wife ramp, she's 5'2" and already needs a running start to get in and over the slightly higher bolsters on my new seats ....errr wait, did I just call my wife a dog, completely unintentional! LOL!!

Still have some homework to do before pulling the trigger, but this helps!

I went with the 220V (+110lbs load) since I don't have a winch or bull bar at the moment, but I wanted to have extra overall load capacity. I'd probably go with the 222V if you have a bull bar and winch. The 223V (+220lbs load) on the rear rides high since I'm unloaded at the moment, but I have plans for a drawer system and wanted the extra capacity for when we are loaded down. I have run with about 300lbs in the back and it was nice and smooth.

I did not consider any of the new shocks, I'm not sure they were even an option when I ordered my kit back in September. The shocks that I have (GS59-683 front, GS59-682 rear) have worked great thus far. I've put about 1000 miles on the setup at this point and even on bumpy washboard roads the variable rate springs plus fresh shocks has made a drastic difference in smoothness and handling. I was on original 1994 springs that were sagging so the difference was impressive.

For caster correction I went with the MAF drop brackets for the following reasons:

- My usage does not include hard core rock crawling where clearance would be an issue
- I thought they would be easy to install (they were actually the hardest part of the whole installation since grinding + drilling was required to make them fit)
- My control arm bushings do need replacement (age not obvious damage) but they are in ok shape and I didn't want to tear into those just yet
- I didn't want to mess with caster bushings (no press easily available, plus reliability concerns) or caster drop brackets (no welder easily available)

As for the outcome I've been very pleased. The cruiser drives great on the highway, great on the trails, no vibrations, no twitchy handling, etc.. The only downer is that my older dog can't make the jump into the back on her own anymore (she tried but cased the landing pretty hard). Now I'm shopping for a dog ramp.🐶

View attachment 2565812

View attachment 2565813
View attachment 2565815
View attachment 2565816
View attachment 2565823
Hopefully mine turns out as nice as yours!

did you ever get a chance to post your measurements, post lift? I’d be curious to know how much you gained in the front and rear while unloaded.

also what is your caster measurement after using the 2” manafre drop brackets?

What tires are you running?

sorry for the the question ambush!

Good to hear the positive ride reports!

Is there an optional rear spring other than the 223V?

I would be interested in one that will keep rear lower/level with the 220V lifted front with no weight added to the rear.

I looked at the Dobinson‘s spring chart, but there wasn’t a clear alternative

Hopefully mine turns out as nice as yours!

did you ever get a chance to post your measurements, post lift? I’d be curious to know how much you gained in the front and rear while unloaded.

also what is your caster measurement after using the 2” manafre drop brackets?

What tires are you running?

sorry for the the question ambush!

After the lift the center of the hub to the flare is 21" in the front and 22" in the rear (with about 150lbs of gear in the back). I'm running BFG AT KO2's, 285/75/16 with about 50k miles on them. I did not take caster measurements before or after the lift but it drives great down the highway with no vibrations (I usually don't go faster than 65/70mph).

With the IMS kit, 285/75s, 2" delta arms, on an empty gas tank and empty load I went from:
220V RIGHT FRONT 20" > 22"
223V RIGHT REAR 21.5" > 23.125"
220V LEFT FRONT 19.25" > 22.25"
223V LEFT REAR 21" > 23.25"

I don't have before and after caster measurements yet....(later this week after new rubber get installed).
Guessing this will level out just fine once loaded. As it is, I'm not gonna fret about an inch of sink bug :)
I had no idea had so much stink bug before the lift either, especially since when it was loaded out the rear measurement was about 17"

Ride is fantastic, as well mannered as before the lift, ride is firm, but not harsh or slamming, but more confident in turns, steering is tighter, drives like new. there's a 1/4 mile dirt loop behind the airport nearby, feels great on that bump and thump fest too. Really excited to try loaded out.

I’ve had this setup for a year now. I’m very happy with the ride and it’s a noticeable improvement over OME medium. It’s worked out well with 315 BFG A/T’s. I do have a slight driver side lean. The powder coating on the coils appears a bit inconsistent so we’ll see how it holds up longer term.
Hi MoJ, do you have photos by any chance? Looking to go with the same kit with 35s. Thanks

Looking forward to mine arriving in the mail. I'm not sure what my current caster is but I did order Man a Fre drop brackets for a 2" lift to bring it back into spec. I'll be sure to post up before/after measurements.

Front:
C59-220V - 1.75" with up to 110LBS - variable rate
GS59-683 - 0-3" Twin Tube Shocks

Rear
C59-223V - 1.75" with up to 220LBS - variable rate
GS59-682 - 0-3" Twin Tube Shocks

Glad to hear others have been happy thus far. My intended use is not hardcore wheeling, but rather exploring with the family.
Hi ZackR, got instagram by chance? Going with this EXACT setup and will be using 35" tires. Interested to see results

I just received my C59-222V and C59-223V springs from Dobinsons today. I see they are marked left and right on the springs and I was wondering if that is how you guys installed yours? I know sometimes Australian companies setup for RHD so I’m unsure if I should install them opposite? Thanks for the reviews and information as I was undecided about springs for a few months.
Any pics of the setup as well as thoughts after?

Any pics of the setup as well as thoughts after?
I am extremely happy with the springs in combination with oem tokico shocks. It rides very smoothly with little jarring over potholes and feels controlled. The stance is slightly raked up to the rear which is fine as it will be level with some weight. It’s just enough lift you can run 315 or 285 tires comfortably.
I had a Ironman 2” lift previously that rode rough although the shocks probably had another 1” of travel vs oem Toyota.
I will post some pictures when I’m back home from work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom